If you could bring back a TV show

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Oh, for fuck's sake. OFAH and Blackadder have had their time. OFAH's actually had its time, and the time of other programmes, way more than it should've had. I agree with whomever it was who said they should've really stopped when Damien was born, although it would've been fine if they'd just left it at them finally becoming millionaires. 

Blackadder finished perfectly. Not including "Back & Forth" (specials don't really count anyway), the poignant ending to "...Goes Forth" just felt right. There's nothing else they can really do with Blackadder now, and Upstart Crow is sort of filling that gap in market anyway.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If someone could link me to the topic where OFAH got shitcanned by the forum, I'd massively appreciate it. I loved the show as a kid but it got put on telly during Christmas a couple years back at my Dad's house and it really doesn't hold up well. 

• Paid Members

I've downvoted your last post there @Carbomb for one very specific reason. Upstart Crow is fucking terrible. The only gap it fills in the market is the one vacated by the worst ever sitcom to grace any screen anywhere Coming Of Age. Upstart Crow isn't fit to shine the shoes of the worst episode of Blackadder. Ben Elton has Australian citizenship and I would prefer it if he moved to the outback and started herding sheep rather than write any more comedy. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I've downvoted your last post there @Carbomb for one very specific reason. Upstart Crow is fucking terrible. The only gap it fills in the market is the one vacated by the worst ever sitcom to grace any screen anywhere Coming Of Age. Upstart Crow isn't fit to shine the shoes of the worst episode of Blackadder. Ben Elton has Australian citizenship and I would prefer it if he moved to the outback and started herding sheep rather than write any more comedy. 

Absolutely agree with this! My missus put it on a few weeks back; she loves Black Adder just as much as myself and she painted Upstart Crow as a successor or a modern re-working of BA. I cannot understate how horrified and disappointed I was with it. My mother died; I hardly noticed. My father cut off his head and fried it in garlic in the hope of attracting my attention; I scarcely looked up from my phone. My wife brought armies of lovers to the house, who worked in droves so that she might bring up a huge family of bastards!

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

If someone could link me to the topic where OFAH got shitcanned by the forum, I'd massively appreciate it. I loved the show as a kid but it got put on telly during Christmas a couple years back at my Dad's house and it really doesn't hold up well. 

• Paid Members

One show (or rather character) coming back to our screens soon: Alan Partridge is coming back to the BBC. Filming's already started, should be fun to see what they do with the character. 

More gold like this from Norfolk's favourite son, please. 

• Paid Members

I'd really love to see the return of Telly Addicts. 

I loved that show as a kid,  it was a simple concept with an easy formula. 

The only problem would be who to host.  It was a BBC effort, but their presenters are dullards. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Weirdly, YouGov have polled on this question over the last few days. Sure loads of you will be waiting in anticipation of Only Fools and Horses being brought back again. 

OFAH can fuck right off, it should've ended after the 'I'll get the sandwiches, you got the Rolls' joke after they entered the Nags Head to a round of applause. Many think it should've ended before then, but I think it was the perfect way to finish.

Looking at that poll though, I genuinely think Tomorrow's World should be brought back. I'd imagine a show of that premise will always have a place.

41 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

One show (or rather character) coming back to our screens soon: Alan Partridge is coming back to the BBC. Filming's already started, should be fun to see what they do with the character.

Will there be a regional holiday when the first episode airs in your neck of the woods? On a serious note (and I really am serious when I say this), but I hope the first episode starts with Tim Key being killed off instantly. Fucking hate him in everything. Looks like LCD Soundsystem and he is about as funny as their music is genius.

@Teedy Kay Obviously you have Noel Edmonds host it again, especially now he's gone mental and has this vendetta against Lloyds bank. I wouldn't mind it serving as a vehicle for him to angrily get across his own narrative about the bank.

• Awards Moderator

I've been baffled how Tomorrow's World has been gone for so long. Interest in technology is at an all-time high, surely? It's so normal now and not just for geeks.

Also they must do a series called Tomorrow's World Yesterday where they pull up clips from 1982 or whatever and show how that idea evolved, why it crashed and burned, or what happened to the research. I'd watch the poo out of that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Absolutely agree with this! My missus put it on a few weeks back; she loves Black Adder just as much as myself and she painted Upstart Crow as a successor or a modern re-working of BA. I cannot understate how horrified and disappointed I was with it. My mother died; I hardly noticed. My father cut off his head and fried it in garlic in the hope of attracting my attention; I scarcely looked up from my phone. My wife brought armies of lovers to the house, who worked in droves so that she might bring up a huge family of bastards!

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Sorry guys - I really don't agree. I like it a lot, and whilst I personally don't think it fills the gap left by Blackadder (I was more going off how it's been positioned in the media), I find it enjoyable viewing indeed. Fair play to you if you don't like it - I know quite a few people who don't - but for me personally, it's a lot of fun, I like the references to modern situations, I like the portrayal of Kit Marlowe (although it does make me wonder why, when there was a real-life character like him that Mayall could've played, Curtis & Elton had to invent Lord Flashheart), and I absolutely love Mark Heep's hammed-up-to-11, moustache-twirling, pantomime-cackling portrayal of villainous Robert Greene.

I can see how it splits opinion, but even if I didn't like it, I don't think I could see how it comes close to "Worst Ever Sitcom" when they're still making "Vicious".

• Paid Members

The difference between Upstart Crow and Vicious is that I don't expect Vicious to be any good. For a start it's on ITV, that should be your first warning. Secondly as much as I love Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as actors, I don't love them as comic actors. Its like Paul Shane and Sue Pollard doing Anthony and Cleopatra,  a woeful miscasting. Vicious can't possibly work, and it doesn't. It is bad but not as bad as Upstart Crow, and here's why. 

David Mitchell is a superb comedy actor, but he has that look in his eye that says "Don't blame me, I can't make this any better" Lisa Tarbuck is a wonderful comedy actress, naturally funny in everything I've seen her in, apart from this. Mark Heap has a string of brilliant comedy performances behind him, dull and uninspiring in this. Upstart Crow is aimed at me, it ticks all the boxes of what I like in a sitcom, and to fail on every level as it does is a remarkable feat. 

• Paid Members

I never quite made my mind up on Upstart Crow - a lot of the dialogue is really laboured, and Harry Enfield is at his absolute silly voiced and gurning worst, but it has a couple of moments that got a laugh out of me; a few lines around the ongoing plot point of Kate wanting to become an actress ("there are just no good roles for older men pretending to be women", in particular) and the Blackadder reference in the final episode in particular, and I liked the portrayal of Will Kemp as a smug Gervais pastiche.

The main thing that bugged me on first viewing was that it seemed a little unsure of its audience, and a lot of the more explicitly "Shakespearean" references felt like they were spelled out so much that they were no longer funny. Just wrung dry of any subtlety whatsoever - at which point, why make a show about Shakespeare if you can't trust your audience to get jokes based on the work of Shakespeare? On second viewing, though, that didn't jump out at me as much, so may have just been the expectations I went in with.

• Paid Members

Blake's 7?

Quite the coincidence as I got the boxed set today, but from what I remember (admittedly from 35 years ago) it ended. It finished. There's nowhere for it to go. Everybody's dead Dave, dead Dave, dead.

Unless they want to reboot/re-imagine (ugh) it, but then it's a different show, riding the coat tails of the title, music and (no doubt redesigned) Liberator.

If you want an old bit of BBC sci-fi bringing back, then the ideal choice is obviously The Tripods, because then they can ACTUALLY FINISH THE FUCKING STORY!

I'm still bitter about that.

Archived