If you could bring back a TV show

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Black Books and Green Wing, without a sodding doubt. These two shows mark the end-game of British comedy for me, as most British sitcoms made after the final episode of Green Wing have been trash.

I'm a big fan of both of those shows, and I know plenty of folks on here are not but I personally think they don't need to be brought back. They both finished at the right time and the the cast went on to new things. Tamsin Greig went on to Episodes and Friday Night Dinner, Olivia Coleman went on to Broadchurch and The Crown, and Katie Lyons went on to the BT Broadband adverts. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Of course it also became much less necessary to watch after YouTube took off, so I think Harry was a big part of me continuing to bother with it at all.

Absolutely, as the actual content on YBF is fucking awful. 90% of them are recycled clips from the home video recorder boom of the early 90s and they're not even funny. Brides slipping over onto their arses, babies falling asleep in their high chairs, parrots dancing to music etc.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm a big fan of both of those shows, and I know plenty of folks on here are not but I personally think they don't need to be brought back. They both finished at the right time and the the cast went on to new things. Tamsin Greig went on to Episodes and Friday Night Dinner, Olivia Coleman went on to Broadchurch and The Crown, and Katie Lyons went on to the BT Broadband adverts. 

While I do agree that both shows finished brilliantly and without over staying their welcome, I think a 6-episode series for each of them, seeing how the characters are doing after over a decade later would be a superb run around. Did Manny move in with Roweena? Is Bernard still running a used book shop or has he moved on a used CD store? Did Caroline & Guy stay together? Did Martin do...anything?!?

I didn't know that they weren't popular shows around these parts. Green Wing I could maybe understand but Black Books, mainly series 2 and 3, is a superbly written and very tight sitcom. 

• Paid Members

It was more Green Wing that drew the ire rather than Black Books to be fair. To be honest though the questions you bring up about the characters are what I like about those series finishing when they did. Not everything needs to be wrapped up, how they live on in the viewers minds is what counts. In my mind there is no way Guy and Caroline are still together. Guy fears commitment more than I fear the ever approaching defibrillator. 

• Paid Members

Best thing about Green Wing was Alan Statham. Mark Heap played that role to perfection. 

I'd have Phoenix Knights back, albeit with Kay, Spikey & Fitzmaurice writing it as opposed to just Kay, or Kay and McGuinness writing. It's been over 15 years since the last series so lots of new stories to tell, characters to catch up with, etc. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Fatty Facesitter said:

I'd have Phoenix Knights back, albeit with Kay, Spikey & Fitzmaurice writing it as opposed to just Kay, or Kay and McGuinness writing. It's been over 15 years since the last series so lots of new stories to tell, characters to catch up with, etc. 

That would be fucking dreadful. I'm certain of it.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

That would be fucking dreadful. I'm certain of it.

Has the potential to be, but equally has the potential to be golden if you get all of the original writing team on board. For instance, Max and Paddy was absolute dogshit. It could never be as good as Phoenix Knights but without Spikey/Fitzmaurice on board it just became an exercise for Peter Kay to shift a bunch of cringeworthy slogan t-shirts. Thatcher's Britain, how dare you, etc. The first series of Phoenix Knights in particular was just beautifully crafted from start to finish, and while a new series could never be as good, that's the sort of standard they should aim for. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

The first series of Phoenix Knights in particular was just beautifully crafted from start to finish, and while a new series could never be as good

I love Phoenix Knights, that and my favourite radio show Joust A Minute go really well together.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Is that a panel show or more of a round table?

Lovely.

I still watch old episodes of The Day Today & would love for it to return. I just really want Chris Morris back on the telly tbf.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

The man himself said it was far too much work, but I really miss TV Burp. So many times I see something on telly and want to see it poked fun at in their own way.

Come back Harry. Stop wasting your time at Sky. 

His new ITV show is a bit like TV burp light from what I've seen. 

Archived