If you could bring back a TV show

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Tripods and Blake's 7 are both good shouts, actually. A remake of Blake's 7 could be very well done, I think. As to the Tripods, I've wanted to see them go through the entire book series; it's been so long since the original series, and I think modern effects could make a new addition spectacular.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due South. I loved that show as a kid. With it being the age of dark Netflix revivals and all, the always polite mountie would have turned into a foul mouth wife beater with a terminal illness, who's jealous of the success of his pet wolf, who's become the face of a successful dog food brand. 

Read 'I Partridge' recently and they should just make Swallow, surprised Sky haven't to be honest.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Fuck Tripods, that still gives me nightmares. 

Which is why it's important that we get the third series, so we can have resolution and put these issues of yours to rest.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, DCW said:

Read 'I Partridge' recently and they should just make Swallow, surprised Sky haven't to be honest.

Never mind that, Armando Iannucci once said that if there's anything left to do with Alan Partridge, it was to create at least one full episode of Skirmish.

4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

You Bet!

Celebs wagering money for charity as a guy tries to prove he can identify 15 different brands of Baked Beans by smell alone while another identifies the live hits of Bruce Springsteen from half second audio clips. Proper early Saturday evening telly

The German version (Wetten, dass... ?) lasted until 2014 and the Italian one is still going on (as 'Vuoi Scommettere?') to this day. I blame Darren Day for the fact that it was cancelled much earlier over here. 

Not fussed about another season of Green Wing, but I personally would be REALLY interested in another series of Spaced.

As someone of roughly the same age group as the main characters, it'd be cool to see where they ended up in their 40s.  I'm imagining Tyres is now an incredibly straight estate agent, for example.  Daisy and Tim probably got married and then divorced.  Mike still lives with his mum.  Brian is now an insanely rich artist!

Everyone involved is still alive, they're all still relatively young...  It's also a series that has aged very well, mainly as nobody really copied the style subsequently so it still feels different to normal tv fare.

On 28/04/2018 at 5:04 AM, Porkchopcash said:

I also remember some lad guessing wrestling clips on there.

I remember one naming the finishing moves of wrestlers, which was about as taxing as Mark (from Sam & Mark)'s recently repeated Mastermind round on WWE in the 1990s. ("Name the owner of WWE, whose wife is Linda." "Name the WWE's annual extravaganza held in springtime, often featuring celebrity guests.")

• Paid Members
On 23/04/2018 at 9:46 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

Points of View, but only if people have to still send an actual letter in for a moan. Emails and tweets are too easy. It'd be great in the current climate, making people walk to the Post Office to share their bigotry on the telly.

"Why, oh why, oh why are there so many brown people with jobs in soap operas? Not a real portrayal of 2018 Britain!" Gary, Rochdale.

Brian Dowling to present.

There is still a Points of View section on the BBC website, but no show anymore I suppose. I would both love and hate to see some examples of the sorts of videos they get in with people ranting about this or that minor beef with a television show - is there somebody at the BBC who has to actually sit and watch these viewer submitted videos? It's got to be mental.

On 25/04/2018 at 9:24 AM, Carbomb said:

Oh, for fuck's sake. OFAH and Blackadder have had their time. OFAH's actually had its time, and the time of other programmes, way more than it should've had. I agree with whomever it was who said they should've really stopped when Damien was born, although it would've been fine if they'd just left it at them finally becoming millionaires. 

Blackadder finished perfectly. Not including "Back & Forth" (specials don't really count anyway), the poignant ending to "...Goes Forth" just felt right. There's nothing else they can really do with Blackadder now, and Upstart Crow is sort of filling that gap in market anyway.

I was totally up for another Blackadder until I watched Upstart Crow. I heard there's a new Johnny English movie coming out and they can't afford Hugh Laurie, so we won't see another Blackadder anyway.

On 29/04/2018 at 11:30 AM, Loki said:

Not fussed about another season of Green Wing, but I personally would be REALLY interested in another series of Spaced.

As someone of roughly the same age group as the main characters, it'd be cool to see where they ended up in their 40s.  I'm imagining Tyres is now an incredibly straight estate agent, for example.  Daisy and Tim probably got married and then divorced.  Mike still lives with his mum.  Brian is now an insanely rich artist!

Everyone involved is still alive, they're all still relatively young...  It's also a series that has aged very well, mainly as nobody really copied the style subsequently so it still feels different to normal tv fare.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think this is one of the best suggestions in this thread.

Archived