MLW announce new TV Deal

CliveG

• 3 months later...

So MLW have filed a lawsuit against the WWE.

Major League Wrestling announced today they have filed an antitrust lawsuit against WWE.

MLW announced the lawsuit in a press release, accusing WWE of pressuring third parties to abandon contracts and prospective relationships with them, citing as an example a potential streaming deal that “would have been transformative for the company”. 

In the lawsuit, MLW specifically mentions that a deal with the streaming service Tubi TV, owned by Fox, fell apart when WWE stepped in.

Additionally, the company alleges that in early 2021, when MLW was in talks with Vice TV to air programing, a then-WWE executive warned Vice TV that Vince McMahon was “pissed” about Vice airing MLW programming and that Vice TV should stop working with MLW. A Vice TV executive responded by saying that what they were doing was illegal and an antitrust violation. The executive replied that she could not control McMahon.

“WWE has been wrongfully depriving its competitors of critical opportunities for many years, but its latest conduct has been even more unconscionable," MLW CEO Court Bauer said in the press release. "I think we speak for the rest of the professional wrestling world when we say that this anti-competitive behavior has to stop.”

WWE, in a statement to Wrestlenomics, said MLW's claims have no merit.

"WWE believes these claims have no merit and intends to vigorously defend itself against them,” they said.

5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

WWE will just keep it tied up in court until MLW run out of money, won't they? 

Apparently the law firm representing MLW are working on contingency so that will be harder for WWE to do and sho s to some degree that someone there thinks there's a case for WWE to answer to and presumably some evidence to support the case.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Paid Members

Amazed this company is even still around. For years it's been a complete non-entity, you never hear anyone talking about it, never hear about any exciting good matches or any stories or wrestlers with any hype behind them. Who exactly is watching this? I'm assuming it has a shoe string budget and is getting by solely on their TV rights deals. You hear about them signing talent to contracts - how much are they offering? I'm assuming that a good portion of the roster are wrestlers who can't get booked elsewhere for various nefarious reasons.

41 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Amazed this company is even still around. For years it's been a complete non-entity, you never hear anyone talking about it, never hear about any exciting good matches or any stories or wrestlers with any hype behind them. Who exactly is watching this? I'm assuming it has a shoe string budget and is getting by solely on their TV rights deals. You hear about them signing talent to contracts - how much are they offering? I'm assuming that a good portion of the roster are wrestlers who can't get booked elsewhere for various nefarious reasons.

I watch it, it's a digestible hour of wrestling tv with some solid wrestlers who would probably get exposed if they stepped up a level, plus LA park doing chubby lucha. Perfect ironing the work shirts on a Sunday night tablet viewing.

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'll sometimes watch it. Since Fusion has bounced on and off Youtube. Most recently a streamer called PWTV was showing it for free and I checked out for Battle Riot (MLW's Royal Rumble).

It's about as basic as you can get. Run about once a month. Promote the show like a PPV with a full card. At least fans will know what to expect unlike a generic Fusion taping. Then cut it up for weekly content. Hammerstone & Fatu are a couple that are meant to make some decent money, but Fatu has had legal issues in the past and Hammerstone ain't the greatest. It's probably low card AEW/NXT money but they get to be a big fish in a small pond.

There might be some others getting something, the rest are meant to be on a pittance. Joey Janela's been quite public over the years.

• Paid Members

It's on Ayozat TV, Sky 186, at 9pm on Fridays if anyone is interested. I happened across it by mistake a few months ago, it appeared to be the latest episode when compared to the latest report on their website.

I only watched until Enzo (or "Real1") turned up, and that was enough for me.