MLW announce new TV Deal

CliveG

• Paid Members

I haven't watched in a good while, but I did go through a period of quite enjoying the hour long weekly show. I might have to check it out again. I thought Jacob Fatu was incredible and a dead cert to make his way into WWE at some point, but it sounds like there are  reasons that it never materialised. Always liked to see the Lucha guys making appearances too.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Gave the latest episode of MLW Underground a go this weekend after some positive reviews about their latest Battle Riot - 

👍 Alex Kane looks the part - like a modern day Taz.

👍 Fun cameo from Duke ‘The Dumpster’ Droese, complete with a fun moment where Alex Kane tries to force a submission but comes a cropper on the count of Duke’s prosthetic leg!

👎 I like the Battle Riot concept and the tweaks to the Royal Rumble formula, but the ring got far too congested for the most part. The addition of the pins and submissions when the ring is full make it difficult for both the audience and production crew to keep up with everything. 

👎 Matt Striker on commentary is absolutely insufferable. Constant rubbish remarks and a thoroughly annoying tone of voice. 

Overall - Not the slickest production and perhaps not the greatest advert for the promotion for a first time viewer (or a ‘first time in a while’ viewer like me). But what I will say is that the 50 minutes or so of my feed absolutely breezed by. It’s always fun seeing shows in the old ECW arena because you know you’ll get a fun audience. This served as a vehicle to highlight Alex Kane and it certainly did that if nothing else. Not sure if I’ll keep up with it but I’d be interested to see some of their more ‘regular’ output in terms of singles/tags/etc. But I’ll likely watch on mute because Striker is such a chore to listen to. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 4/30/2023 at 2:20 PM, Loki said:

👍 @Fatty Facesitter creating a fun new review format

👎 @Fatty Facesitter feeling he now has to review every single wrestling show with it.  MLW, fucking hell lad, don’t do it to yourself 🤣  It’s nice day out, or the snooker’s on at least.

Yep, definitely jumping the shark by including this one. I did watch last week's 'season finale' but I think I'll be leaving it here. But before that...

👍 Thomas/Hammerstone - I liked the Alex Kane promo at the beginning and this was a relatively good sprint considering Hammerstone is apparently injured. The Hammerstone/AK title match should be an interesting one. The BFC are quite over so they clearly have a knack for building up talent to be so well received by the audience. 

👎 SST/Mane Event - Bit of an eyesore, this one. Wasn't expecting a technical masterclass or anything but it lacked a big fight title match feel and it was a bit of a scrapy sqaush in all honesty. 

👎 Blake/B3cca - There's far better women's wrestling out there I'm afraid. I like Brittany Blake's commitment to her character though - that's a pretty good heel gimmick she's got going on. 

👎 Jacob Fatu/Calling Business - Deary me. First of all you've spent time building to this main event during the broadcast and when you finally get to it, it's clear that there was absolutely no plan to deliver on it. Secondly, The Calling is an absolutely crap attempt to do something with an ex-ECW legend in Raven and try to recapture some of that creepy aura around his persona, but it just looks so low rent. There was an awfully constructed brawl at the top of the ramp after the opening match which was poorly shot, and Raven just looked like a complete twattocks standing there without throwing any kind of punch or even just scarpering away like a carried. I know the poor sod's body is probably completely shagged and he's probably just happy to be there, but surely they can present him better than this? Just not my bag at all I'm afraid. 

👎 Presentation - The intro montage they have for the show is actually really well edited and quite eye-catching, and they also have some nice graphics. However, so many other production elements completely ruin the show and despite the cool name, it's anything but Major League. The old ECW Arena is a legendary venue, but for fuck's sake please, please cover up that ghastly floor. They go to so much effort with their stage up the ramp, the screens above the ring and other additional branding - can they not fork out a few extra quid to put more pads on the floor to cover up the badly worn paintwork on the concrete? Then there's the audio - the introductions, commentary, music and in-ring promos are mixed so badly against the crowd noise and entrance music and it just makes the whole thing a real ear-sore. It's possible that it's just the feed I'm watching from swo I'll happily rescind those comments if that's the case, but my point stands on the flooring! 

Overall - It's been a fun experiment reviewing the last couple of episodes of this one, but I'll be tapping out at this juncture sand leaving it there. I might pop back in for the PPV though. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

@Fatty Facesitter I actually checked out their big Royal Rumble-esque show after your review the other week. Raven was my biggest turn-off, to be honest. Still doing the cult leader thing but obviously he can't do much physically, so they just had him sit in the corner for an age. The idea of a cult leader doing nothing in a match like this because he's got his followers to protect him is good in theory, but in execution it just looked like somebodies grandad had fallen asleep in the corner.

I don't think I'll be watching much more.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Riddle and Callihan both signing for MLW then.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/sami-callihan-work-agent-mlw?utm_source=TW-Fightful&utm_medium=Fightful Wrestling News&utm_campaign=dlvr.it

(On a personal level I’m chuffed as it keeps both away from TNA).

That WWE settlement cheque being put "good" use.