The Old Poster Ouija Board

Carbomb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

@jimufctna24 Was a daily contributor to the Boxing/MMA threads who seemingly stopped posting during Covid. - I hope he's OK. 

On this, I ended up going through the 'welcome to the MMA forum' post for some reason and it's  crazy how many others stopped posting during Covid... It hit us hard. 

When was the big login change which required you to use your email address?  That was the single biggest moment of user loss, wasn't that during Covid?

I miss @Guy Bifkin who hasn't returned since being suspended, despite a spirited campaign by @KingCoconut.

Edited by Loki

2 hours ago, Bus Surfer said:

@jimufctna24 Was a daily contributor to the Boxing/MMA threads who seemingly stopped posting during Covid. - I hope he's OK. 

On this, I ended up going through the 'welcome to the MMA forum' post for some reason and it's  crazy how many others stopped posting during Covid... It hit us hard. 

I always whatever happened to him.  Was one of the main contributors to the MMA forum (along with Wand and ebb) when I used to semi-regularly post in there, then just seemed to stop posting overnight.

• Paid Members

That's one of the stranger things about posting on forums over the long term; people can just stop posting for whatever reason after years of doing so and you'll never know what happened to them. There's people from the old Wrestling Forum who me and others still are around would interact with every day, who stopped posting and there's no way of ever really getting hold of them.

Edited by gmoney

• Awards Moderator

I think it’s why @Undefeated Steak has been tagged in this thread a few times. I don’t think he was connected to other forum members via socials so when he stopped posting, nobody could check in on him on behalf of the forum. I know he had some problems around the time he last posted so I really hope he’s okay.

12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

That's one of the stranger things about posting on forums over the long term; people can just stop posting for whatever reason after years of doing so and you'll never know what happened to them. There's people from the old Wrestling Forum who me and others still are around would interact with every day, who stopped posting and there's no way of ever really getting hold of them.

I always wondered who Cynic on the old forum was.  Bifkin I was linked to on Facebook at one point but no longer.  I always consider it rather unusual we're all still here, with drifting away from wrestling probably being the more common thing to be honest.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I think it’s why @Undefeated Steak has been tagged in this thread a few times. I don’t think he was connected to other forum members via socials so when he stopped posting, nobody could check in on him on behalf of the forum. I know he had some problems around the time he last posted so I really hope he’s okay.

Yeah, and I also totally would understand why someone might just want to drop a forum habit, in all sorts of circumstances. Some of the people I think of occasionally were about my age and obviously just grew out of it, but if you don't know, it can get worrying. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

I always wondered who Cynic on the old forum was.  Bifkin I was linked to on Facebook at one point but no longer.  I always consider it rather unusual we're all still here, with drifting away from wrestling probably being the more common thing to be honest.

Cynic, Jamie, Firework, Jayo, Corrine - as far as I know these guys (and one gal) just vanished. Bifkin, Shakethis, Buford I know are at least alive and well (if not well in the head). 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I always whatever happened to him.  Was one of the main contributors to the MMA forum (along with Wand and ebb) when I used to semi-regularly post in there, then just seemed to stop posting overnight.

Yeah he was such a regular that it was quite jarring that he just stopped posting. He never seemed to have any issues with others and always seemed to massively enjoy the chatter, so it was very odd.

As said, I put it down to Covid as I didn't recall the log-in issues. I'm not sure what this says about me but  seeing his profile said  he lived in Crewe, I've googled various things like 'Jim Crewe UFC' (sounds ridiculous but he was a huge fan) to see if anything popped up, obit or otherwise.

... I'll see myself out. 

At the risk of sounding boring, the login issues are also why the Ouija thing doesn't really work - even if their account was set up to email them when they're mentioned, it's an account they presumably forgot all about and hence couldn't log in.