General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Wales' Ben Woodburn made a massive difference again tonight, providing the ball for Wales' G.O.A.T.H.R.K. to put us in the lead in a game we were quite frankly average in. Bale was especially poor, he looked knackered. Andy King put a decent shift in, Vokes looked dangerous after coming in. There's 6 points coming up we should be getting, and I hope we get them, I expect 2nd in Group H to not make the play offs. Ireland at home to end it though, should be plenty of needle in it. The Potato Wogs will hopefully be crying into the night at the end though! Joking apart, it should be a hell of a climax.

2 hours ago, Murtz said:

So.. was that Mane challenge a red card or not?

It's a tough one, one of those which are borderline between a yellow and a red.

The laws state that :

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• serious foul play
  • A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

I could understand if the ref just gave a yellow because Mane was reckless he knew Ederson was coming for the ball as well and attempted to play it at full stretch 5 foot off the floor to try and win the ball first, thus with disregard to the danger or consequences for an opponent.

But was it excessive force? Did he lunge? I'd say the fact he kicked Ederson in the head whilst off the ground with one leg off the floor and the other fully outstretched at head height suggests yes, he clearly endangered the safety of an opponent. He wasn't trying to hurt him and it was an honest attempt to win the ball but that doesn't matter under the rules.

Archived