General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Champions League is too easy to get into these days. I don't remember a lot of these 5-0 and 6-0 thumpings happening about ten years ago. Seems a lot easier now if you're from Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan (until the Celts put you out).

I don't see how it is easier when there are countries with 3 to 5 teams in it. Also 10 years ago there didn't seem to be as many teams heavily bankrolled and the gulf of the value of teams between 5 or 6 countries and the rest was smaller. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Champions League is too easy to get into these days. I don't remember a lot of these 5-0 and 6-0 thumpings happening about ten years ago. Seems a lot easier now if you're from Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan (until the Celts put you out).

You used to get massive scorelines in the earlier rounds, when the tournament was restricted to champions and the quality of teams varied wildly.

• Paid Members

"What great fans, look at them signing on the streets! Such support!"

Yeah, great aren't they. Smashing up turnstiles, 17,000 extra fans turning up without tickets, forcing their way into the stadium and into the home section, fighting with stewards.

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's been recommended before but the BT Sport documentary Ref is a decent 45 minute watch:

I watched another one as well about the referee who didn't see Henry's handball vs Ireland in the World Cup playoff. He's a weird. It mentions he got divorced the year before the playoff and he says that referring comes before his wife and kids and his other job as a firefighter. Before your kids?!

• Paid Members

I reckon there were more Koln fans in the Emirates than the current Ligue 1 champions have ever had at a home game before!

Surreal night. Shame the travelling fans got too over-excited before the game, they did make for a great atmosphere during the match however and by all accounts are normally a decent set of fans. Ospina with his finest trick yet and a screamer for Sanchez.

Thursday nights aren't too bad after all

3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Branquey must be delighted.

Having been in the beautiful and quite sleepy city of Cologne earlier in the year, I find it hard to marry that with the parade of utter nutcases they seem to have brought to London this evening.

The only time I've visited Cologne was New Year's Eve 2015/New Year's Day 2016, so... I sort of can match up my image of the city with the behaviour of the so-called supporters tonight, actually.

And on your first point – yeah, I'm beginning to understand where he was coming from now given Everton's recent performances.

8 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I don't know if it's been recommended before but the BT Sport documentary Ref is a decent 45 minute watch:

I watched another one as well about the referee who didn't see Henry's handball vs Ireland in the World Cup playoff. He's a weird. It mentions he got divorced the year before the playoff and he says that referring comes before his wife and kids and his other job as a firefighter. Before your kids?!

I'm not saying it applies to all of them but for top level referees there's a level of commitment required that often sees family come second.

In 2010 I was set for promotion to what was then Category 4 in Scotland. Would have seen me refereeing every week in junior football, which is the equivalent of the Isthmian league and the route all Scottish refs take.  My son was due to be born in May 2010 so in February that year I asked not to be promoted so that I could continue reffing Sunday games for the next year as that suited us best as a family. The answer was yes no problem, get used to being a dad etc. I was only 25 so loads of time and all that. Then come June when the registrations came out they demoted me to Cat 6 the lowest category without even so much as a word of warning. I'd passed all the fitness tests and my observer reports were brilliant in 2009/10. Didn't matter though as I hadn't put the association first.

12 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I suppose the before the kids thing means in the sense that if a referee had a cup final game he couldn't get out of it if the kids wanted to go Chessington World Of Adventures.

They probably love family as much as any person does, but I guess that with the job involving evenings & weekends its difficult to get a day off, especially at a higher level.

We do need to see more referee documentaries though, I think the lack of respect shown towards referees is not helped by fans not knowing what referees go through, how they feel and dedication they put into the game.

Archived