General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Steve Coppell is overdue another run.

Forgot about him. I absolutely detested Reading around the time period when he managed them, largely because they seemed to only hire managers who looked like potatoes (plus, unbelievably boring).

That really was a golden time, because I think you had Gary Megson's achingly dull Bolton also clagging up the relegation spots too. When you come in after Big Sam and manage produce even more boring football performances than him, you have some degree of evil genius to you. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Got home from Liverpool yesterday and it was an awful thing to watch. Everton were absolutely spineless, guileless and leaderless out there. Incredible, considering the like of Williams, Rooney, Baines and Klaasen were on the pitch, but there’s an awful lot of new blood and they do need time to gel.

But I really think I’m falling out of love with a game that has basically consumed me most days since I was a child, as that fucking crowd on Saturday were poisonous. Lansdowne Road was bad on Tuesday, but this was on another level. Before kick-off, down the Park End, all I could hear from near and far was moaning and sniping and griping. I mean, have a fucking moan after the game, but literally from the first kick of the game the crowd were all over the players’ backs. I stood there baffled.

Sandro’s first touch let him down once and all around me all I could hear was vile abuse and “Waste of fucking money” being shited out of everywhere.

I’ve said it before, sometimes being at Goodison is like being in the crowd watching Lisa Simpson and her band perform Born to Runner Up. It’s absolutely astounding, the entitlement of modern day football fans.

I think it’s at most grounds now though, as I’ve a Geordie mate who won’t go to a Newcastle home game because of the negative atmosphere around the ground and I’ve been to Stoke where the fans seem to be on the teams back from the off as well.

To be fair though, I spent a lot of the game developing a nervous twitch, looking at Koemans sour head, so I have my moments...

• Paid Members

Nah, don't think it's just your lot Scottie. Stamford Bridge is appalling for that kind of shite. It's like everyone has collectively forgotten how relatively wank we were for extended periods of time prior to the takeover. The 90's was a magical time to be a supporter of the club with the cup runs and such, but prior to that we were pretty gopping at points. I remember once I was at a Benitez game and most of the crowd seemed to spend the entire match booing the manager rather than supporting the team. Away is different, but I guarantee if/when I get to a home game this season, it will be awash with people moaning about the window and, inevitably, how awful Gary Cahill is (irrespective of how well he plays).

I don't really understand how Everton are as bad as the Chelsea and Spurs games suggest. On paper, those games ought to be close, but both were really limp performances. 

• Paid Members

I think it's fair to say you get a bit of a poisonous atmosphere at the Emirates as well...

Following the win on Saturday, a load of fans were giving it 'doesn't change anything though'. Fucking hell, just support the team and have a Coke & a smile when they win.

• Paid Members

de Boer was heavily linked with us at one point. I was really quite excited by the idea. Seems like we had a lucky escape. 

Agree with the criticisms of home fans, as well. The last time I went to White Hart Lane, we were still fighting for the title with Leicester and yet people were whining and complaining like they'd forgotten that we'd been shit for decades. It's the same at Wembley now. I don't go to Wembley thinking we will batter teams, yet the home fans think that's what should be happening. If we don't score within the first 10 minutes, people start getting angry. 

• Paid Members

I was at Stamford Bridge a few times but my first - in 1998 for an Everton/Chelsea game - was very intense. Your fans were right on top, Stavo. Very, very intimidating place to go as a fan then. Real white hot, hair on the necker backer stander upper stuff.

Have been since, for cup games and the like, and you still have that section of loyal lunatics, but yeah, have noticed it's gotten progressively tamer, atmosphere wise, which is a shame, as it's a wonderful, old fashioned ground and pitch. It still looks like it does be rocking on Champions League games I do watch on the box, though.

Sorry Brewster, completely ignored Arsenal. That must be awful to sit back and endure. Every time I turn on any sports podcast it's an Arsenal fan kicking off with Wenger Out. Must be absolutely soul destroying to hear that constantly and I've always had a soft spot for your mob.

Spurs fans were great from the off yesterday. Was talking to a few outside the ground before the match (went over with my mate who's Spuds)...absolutely buzzing, and rightly so. Absolutely ridiculous talent in that team. The pace of them on the break was frightening  to watch live.

• Paid Members

Have to echo that about Spurs. Absolutely hate them, mind, but really good support every time I have seen them live. The Lane having room for about 12 people helped a touch too. Half of that modicum of praise is nullified by that fucking drum they hooked up to the PA system during the 2-1 a few weeks back though.

In my view, half the problem with us Scott is weirdly the fact that we are a small ground. So much of the capacity seems to be taken up with comps and hospitality that it often hurts the atmosphere.

• Paid Members

Frank De Boer barely lasted longer at Palace than Kim Kardashian's first marriage.

Dreadful manager for me, been utterly shown up by first the lack of outstanding talent that came through Ajax (or did and he ballsed it up), not having the tactical awareness for a team like Inter and not being able to adapt in the slightest  to the Premier League. How a team with two of the paciest and decent quality wingers in Townsend and Zaha and a striker like Benteke cannot score a goal in 4 games is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I can't even remember what happened at Coventry, did the chairman blow loads of money and fuck off leaving them in millions in debt? Ricoh is a massive stadium, the rent must be a fair bit, can they afford it with their attendances?

Long story short. Chairman decided to gamble on a new stadium instead of spending on the squad and we got relegated.  The council and a charity bought the unfinished stadium to keep the club going.  Club was sold to SISU who asset stripped and stopped paying the exorbitant rent in the hope the council and charity would go bust so they could buy it for nothing and have all debt cancelled. Club were moved to Northampton after ground owners offered a 70% reduction on rent and SISU refused. SISU and the council played the worse game of poker bluffing for a year with SISU saying nobody else will buy the stadium so they'll wait for liquidation.  Then Wasps rugby club bought the stadium and we are now their tenants.

Now we are in the bottom tier of league football with an empty stadium we don't own and owners who have never ran a football club and won't go because they won't sell for a huge loss.o

Edit https://www.theguardian.com/football/coventry+profile/davidconn David Conn has wrote some ace stuff about the sorry mess

Archived