General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I aways refer to them as Tottenham, but I'm a wee bit of maverick. 

That's the sound of the branding book being ripped up.

Also , if you're ever ill , whenever you hand in a sick note just say you must be distant relative to Darren Anderton. 

• Paid Members

So @Gus Mears David Luiz (covering in midfield against Roma) and Bakayoko were injured last night, Kante and Drinkwater also still injured. This leaves Cesc as your only recognised midfielder at the moment.

It's almost as if we could see this happening a mile off before the season even started...

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

So @Gus Mears David Luiz (covering in midfield against Roma) and Bakayoko were injured last night, Kante and Drinkwater also still injured. This leaves Cesc as your only recognised midfielder at the moment.

It's almost as if we could see this happening a mile off before the season even started...

Indeed. The knuckle-dragging idiocy of our board in the transfer window following a title win is beyond comprehension. We're a chaotic club at the best of times, but the perpetual state of confusion is not helped by a board who in no way cultivate consistency. Going into a season where you're playing a truck load more games, with a weaker squad than the year before, does not consistency make. Reckon we're about two bad results away from completely downing tools and giving a real good go at taking the 'shittest title defence' trophy back from Leicester. 

I'm not sure quite who we lob in there at the weekend, probably Christensen.

Four central midfielders plus a defender who can cover there doesn't seem that negligent. I suppose it doesn't help that you sold two very promising young players in that position and no doubt have a few out on loan who could do a job there. Jody Morris doing these days?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

Indeed. The knuckle-dragging idiocy of our board in the transfer window following a title win is beyond comprehension. We're a chaotic club at the best of times, but the perpetual state of confusion is not helped by a board who in no way cultivate consistency. Going into a season where you're playing a truck load more games, with a weaker squad than the year before, does not consistency make. Reckon we're about two bad results away from completely downing tools and giving a real good go at taking the 'shittest title defence' trophy back from Leicester. 

I'm not sure quite who we lob in there at the weekend, probably Christensen.

I know you obviously didn't strengthen to the level of City or United but in midfield in particular, you sold Matic and brought in Bakayoko and (the injured) Drinkwater. I don't think that's particularly poor. Three injuries to central midfielders would hurt any side in the league. It's really unlucky.

Given that you replaced Matic, Terry, Begovic and Costa and the rest of the players sold were already out on loan - I don't really see the weaker squad argument. It's definitely not pushed on which is why I think you're being left behind already.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I know you obviously didn't strengthen to the level of City or United but in midfield in particular, you sold Matic and brought in Bakayoko and (the injured) Drinkwater. I don't think that's particularly poor. Three injuries to central midfielders would hurt any side in the league. It's really unlucky.

Given that you replaced Matic, Terry, Begovic and Costa and the rest of the players sold were already out on loan - I don't really see the weaker squad argument. It's definitely not pushed on which is why I think you're being left behind already.

It's a weaker squad because it's basically the same quality as the one last year, but we're playing a bunch more games. It's also weaker in a relative sense because, as you say, other teams have strengthened far more. Also, "the players sold were already out on loan" is incorrect, Ake was brought back as cover, Chalobah was in the squad, RLC was also about last season.

Having one recognised left back is poor. Having one striker who fits into the system is also poor. We do seem to have a shit-ton of CB though!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Could any of the players you have out on loan do a job in there?

Loftus-Cheek absolutely could, and Lewis Baker would probably be fine. You never know, Baker might even put in some very good performances if he's - gasp - given the chance to do so in a similar vein to Harry Winks. Chelsea could really learn a thing or two from Spurs in that respect. They also have Van Ginkel, although he's probably beyond being a squad player at this point in his career and needs to be starting for a club, therefore running down his contract so somebody can actually sign him.

I do agree with Gus that the squad is weaker. Well, it certainly looked like it a few days before deadline day. I saw Bakayoko as an upgrade on Matic, but a huge loss in leaving Costa out in the cold (didn't quite anticipate how well Morata would settle in, and so quickly, in fairness). Plus they lost three defenders (Terry, Ake, Zouma) whilst only bringing in Rudiger- no matter how many games the other three played that's a loss of two heads overall in that area. Then selling/loaning other squad players who had a few games under their belt last season such as Chalobah and Loftus-Cheek was baffling, although bringing in Drinkwater at the end of the window helped combat that somewhat.

Throw in the extra competitive games and the threat of the Manchester sides significantly strengthening, plus Spurs being more experienced, and even with the Drinkwater & Zappacosta panic-buys, I don't think they've done nearly enough to prepare for a title defence. The results so far this season suggest this and are a stark contrast to how United, City and Spuds look. Sure they have been unlucky with injuries, but they should have supplemented the squad knowing they have Europe to contend with this time, yet instead I can see a net reduction of two players overall.

edit: net reduction of one player overall as I forgot about Christensen being recalled

Archived