General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Never thought I'd be posting in a football thread but here goes...

I need someone to teach me about Spurs - looking at you @SpursRiot2012

I work for a charity that's supported by Spurs and so I need to know about them, the players, the matches, etc. I embarrassed myself a bit after going to meet the bigwigs at White Hart Lane the first time. They do these media sessions once a month where they get a few of the players together and they'll record videos for supporters, sign stuff and that sort of thing. The PR guy was saying which players were available that month so I was trying to write down their names. When I got back to the office someone asked who the media players were for that month so I said Davis, [insert surnames of two players I can't remember] and Delealli. Then there was a laugh from someone reading my notes... I thought Delealli was his surname. I don't want to be embarrassed like that again!

So, I need to do some social media before and after matches. What do I write about last night?! I see it as a draw but is that a good thing? Their site says it was a "brilliant performance" but their goal was a home goal from Madrid so what do I say? Should I be using #COYS and #THFC in all my tweets or are there match specific ones?

Help me Obi-Riot, you're my only hope! (Unless there are some other Spurs fans who can show me the way.)

Why can't we be partnered with an F1 team? I'd bloody know what I was doing with that one!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @Monkee I'll chip in if that's OK?

Firstly, the performance last night was immense. To draw away to Real Madrid (regardless of where the goal came from) is an amazing result. Not many people expected us to do that well over there, so to come away with a draw and nullify someone like Ronaldo all game was great.

Secondly, traditionally #COYS was more of a supporter thing on Twitter I found, but even the official Spurs twitter page uses it nowadays, so that's absolutely fine. I will say however that obviously, to use that is very Spurs fan specific and might not get picked up by fans of other clubs, so #THFC would be fine as well, or the 'official' # of the match.

Thirdly, I would take time to follow some of the following people on Twitter and other sources, as they are absolute fonts of all Spurs knowledge. Martin Cloake, Alan Fisher, Adam Powley, @LoveTheShirt and the subsequent podcast (can be a bit LADDY, but Flav who runs the pod and website is involved in another media company called @BallStreet and would be useful watching a bit of that. They dropped a video this morning discussing last night), Chris Miller ( who runs the windycoys.com website), Ben Pearce (who writes for Yahoo and ESPN and local Tottenham papers), Dan Kilpatrick (who is the official Spurs correspondent for ESPN) and there are some good Spurs specific fan channels which would be useful as well I guess (We Are Tottenham TV and Anna XY Spurs. They're rough videos but they always seem to be having fun)

I've always thought that Spurs have been very good with their social media interaction and their YouTube channels, little fun videos of the players and always something different. If you REALLY want to be an expert overnight, I cannot recommend A Peoples History of Tottenham Hotspur by Martin Cloake and Alan Fisher enough. Superb book. I'd send you mine but I love it too much.

Also, for context of last nights result, listen to The Totally Football Show and The Guardian Podcast which both release shows tomorrow, and will give some expert analysis on the result and performance.

Sure all the non Spurs fans are loving this so anything else, feel free to DM me, or you can always follow me on Twitter @gbacon85 for more expert analysis :)

Don't sweat it, and you'll be fine.

PS. If you ever meet him, just call him Dele...He doesn't like his surname for family reasons...oh and lastly COYS

• Paid Members

You should use #COYS in everything you say going forward. Even when ordering a takeaway or sending your meter readings to EDF- it's the law.

I'm very insightful when it comes to Spurs and can offer an 'alternative' outlook if you want? ;)

• Paid Members

I knew there would be some suggestions like this when I was asking...

"Hey Monkee, Sanderson scored an amazing goal against Kent Town earlier, you should tweet about it!"

"Actually, they prefer to be called 'Spurz' so you should always use #cumonuspurz in every tweet."

etc.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Briefcase said:

I'm not sure about the fans or social media but Pearson did a great job with that Leicester team that I think has been underestimated. I think people forgot how good Leicester looked at the back end of the season they escaped relegation and were playing every team off the park (saw a few games and they were magnificent even in the games they lost), Of course no one could predict they would go on and win the title the following season but the football was similar and in hindsight if you was to watch the games at the back end of the season and the title winning season without knowing the context of the season you would think both sides were quality.

Ranieri added his own touch, experience, calmness & confidence to the team to add that extra sprinkle, but the foundations & make up of that side was Pearson.

Shakespeare leaving is not really a surprise, Leicester will probably adopt the Watford (sometimes Chelsea) model now and just change manager on a year to year basis.

Not disputing or denigrating Pearson's contribution at all; he obviously laid the foundations. But to make out that Ranieri's contribution was negligible in comparison to Pearson's, like so many were doing online, is just wrong. They were flirting with relegation when Pearson left, so clearly it wasn't just a matter of building the team, but getting the right manager to guide it. Pearson clearly wouldn't have won them the Premiership.

• Moderators

They finished 14th in the table the month before he was sacked, and the team really started moving a few months before the end of the season. They were primed for a great season the next season.

27 minutes ago, Monkee said:

I knew there would be some suggestions like this when I was asking...

"Hey Monkee, Sanderson scored an amazing goal against Kent Town earlier, you should tweet about it!"

"Actually, they prefer to be called 'Spurz' so you should always use #cumonuspurz in every tweet."

etc.

By the way Monkee, forgot to add, never EVER refer to them as Tottenham Hotspurs... Even though 'lifelong' fan Alan Sugar famously did

• Paid Members

Feel bad for Monkee trying to decipher the truth from the fiction. Plus, as with football the truth is often stranger than fiction. Like how Spurs fans call themselves "Yids" which is an insult against Jews. They've been asked not to by the authorities but still do. It's a defense mechanism really.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

By the way Monkee, forgot to add, never EVER refer to them as Tottenham Hotspurs... Even though 'lifelong' fan Alan Sugar famously did

Oh, why is this and what's correct?

According to the branding document they're (a) never to be referred to officially as Tottenham or Spurs, it always has to be Tottenham Hotspur or THFC, and (b) refer to themselves as Spurs only in relation to fans. It's a bit confusing sometimes. And there are SO many rules about how you can and can't use their logo.

And yeah, @tiger_rick that's always confused me too.

Edit: Do you mean don't call them HotspurS? Already got that one down from the dos and don'ts in the branding document.

Archived