General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Bit ridiculous that. Team that finishes seventh could still get into Division Two.

Once you've accepted play-offs, it's much of a muchness but I think this is about the limit. Going into the last day of last season, everyone down to 13th in League Two could still make the play-offs and get promoted. It is ridiculous that a team could be 12th after 45 games and go up. But that's also part of the excitement and hope that makes the play-offs so brilliant in the first place.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, I've never advocated getting rid of the play-offs. This development is the League and FA's fault for digging their heels in over 3 up, 3 down. The team who finished 7th in League Two this past season went up to League One.

The new idea comes from Serie B in Italy, but the motive was different there. Basically they wanted to reduce the number of meaningless games in the last couple of matchdays, because the teams with nothing to play for would essentially lie down and let teams fighting for promotion/against relegation win. I'd like to think the National League is not that corrupt!

That's how the play-offs started as 'test matches' in the 1890s, and how they were initially revived in the 1980s. As a traditionalist I should be for that, but there's a clear argument against it. Teams who've had a crap season get extra games at the end of the season, which means higher TV money and additional gate receipts. In contrast, teams that stay up comfortably in mid-table get nothing. It's a sort of reward for failure.

• Paid Members

Scottish play-off idea has always had some tense games (Hibs vs Hamilton Accies, Motherwell vs Rangers, Dundee Utd vs Hamilton) because if you're team goes to the Championship here, you're basically fucked.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fog Dude said:

That's how the play-offs started as 'test matches' in the 1890s, and how they were initially revived in the 1980s. As a traditionalist I should be for that, but there's a clear argument against it. Teams who've had a crap season get extra games at the end of the season, which means higher TV money and additional gate receipts. In contrast, teams that stay up comfortably in mid-table get nothing. It's a sort of reward for failure.

It's even worse in Holland and Belgium where teams finishing in the bottom half get a shot at a Europa League play-off. They've had this loopy idea in Belgium of even giving teams in their second division a shot at the Europa League. Some of the ways of making league tables more competitive have become completely ridiculous.

What a weekend for English youth football, one U20 side retained the Toulon tournament yesterday with a penalty shootout win over the Ivory Coast while just 90 mins ago the more senior side have been crowned World Champions after beating Venezuela 1-0 in the final

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's even worse in Holland and Belgium where teams finishing in the bottom half get a shot at a Europa League play-off. They've had this loopy idea in Belgium of even giving teams in their second division a shot at the Europa League. Some of the ways of making league tables more competitive have become completely ridiculous.

Still not as bad as Argentina where you need a degree in Maths to work out the relegation candidates.

11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Once you've accepted play-offs, it's much of a muchness but I think this is about the limit. Going into the last day of last season, everyone down to 13th in League Two could still make the play-offs and get promoted. It is ridiculous that a team could be 12th after 45 games and go up. But that's also part of the excitement and hope that makes the play-offs so brilliant in the first place.

Much rather have 3 up, 3 down but I'll take this, not that we are ever anywhere near top half come the end of the season. 

As poorly as we tend to finish I always believe that we (Chester), as well as most National League sides, would hold our/their own in League 2. It's a bloody tough league to get out of (ask Tranmere and Wrexham) and I don't think there's much of a gap, if any at all. Promoted teams generally tend to stay up and do well and relegated sides often struggle.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Still not as bad as Argentina where you need a degree in Maths to work out the relegation candidates.

It's like that across most of South American leagues. There was a team in Bolivia a couple of seasons back which was relegated but still qualified for the Copa Libertadores.

• Paid Members

Some impressive recruitment from AC Milan so far. They've just taken Andre Silva from Porto for about £32m. Young Portugal striker for a pretty small fee compared to those being touted for Morata and Belotti. They've also signed Mateo Musacchio from Villareal for £15m, a good Argentinian international and young, powerful midfielder Franck Kessie on a weird loan deal from Atlanta.

Most impressively though, they've signed the best European left back around, Ricardo Rodriguez, from Wolfsburg for 17m euro. A fucking steal.

• Paid Members

The Rodriguez deal is ridiculous, one of those 'bang your head against the wall' deals to come to terms with why your club didn't make the move. He's a brilliant LB.

Everyone around is talking about Milan spending big this summer, where is the money coming from? Are there super rich investors on the scene all of a sudden?

Archived