General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

@Gus Mears Do you think you need a huge spree? I know you and City have both been complacent in summer transfer windows after having won the title in recent years, but other than bolstering a couple of positions here and there, I can't see where you need to invest really.

If Costa goes (which seems to have quietened down a bit lately), then you will need a top striker to come in. Perhaps another bit of cover for Hazard/Pedro/Willian, too. I don't think you need anyone in the middle of the park- you have plenty there. Cover for Alonso & Moses I suppose in wing back positions, 'Dave' and Ake can surely act as cover, but another natural stand-by may be needed. Centre backs- one more in to replace Terry so you have the numbers (Luiz, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Ake and a Terry replacement is plenty)- but then again Christensen will surely do? You seem to be much deeper and stronger than 2 years ago, whereas if back then a couple of your starting XI picked up injuries or went through a patch of bad form, you're fucked (see the start of 2015/16).

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
46 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

@Gus Mears Do you think you need a huge spree? I know you and City have both been complacent in summer transfer windows after having won the title in recent years, but other than bolstering a couple of positions here and there, I can't see where you need to invest really.

If Costa goes (which seems to have quietened down a bit lately), then you will need a top striker to come in. Perhaps another bit of cover for Hazard/Pedro/Willian, too. I don't think you need anyone in the middle of the park- you have plenty there. Cover for Alonso & Moses I suppose in wing back positions, 'Dave' and Ake can surely act as cover, but another natural stand-by may be needed. Centre backs- one more in to replace Terry so you have the numbers (Luiz, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Ake and a Terry replacement is plenty)- but then again Christensen will surely do? You seem to be much deeper and stronger than 2 years ago, whereas if back then a couple of your starting XI picked up injuries or went through a patch of bad form, you're fucked (see the start of 2015/16).

The starting XI is good, but could be upgraded. An improvement on Matic with a bit more mobility and passing range would help for the games when Fabregas won't start and, while not no.1 priority, another world class AM for Pedro's berth/depth would be great, which was why Sanchez would have been so fantastic. RWB if possible and while Alonso had a great season, his lack of pace was occasionally an issue. I would imagine we get rid of Zouma for at least a season, so another CB too (although I think Christensen could end up a starter). 

It's also a complacency thing. As City/us have shown in recent years, failing to buy seems to breed mediocrity. Considering our team looked like it was down Bognor during the FA Cup final, putting now pressure on them could be an absolute disaster. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

An improvement on Matic

another world class AM for Pedro's berth/depth would be great

RWB if possible and while Alonso had a great season, his lack of pace was occasionally an issue.

another CB too

Francis Coquelin, Joel Campbell, Carl Jenkinson, Keiran Gibbs and Gabriel. £30m each, job done.

You're welcome. Michael Emenalo aint got shit on me.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I mean, we all know transfer values are just irrelevant but Lukaku a near world record? Bloody hell. 

Whats this Conti from Atalanta like? I haven't seen nearly enough Serie A this year to comment. What I've seen of Belotti has been impressive. 

One silver lining for me is if Harry Kane ever leaves, he'll be worth around £150million which will be nice. 

He runs his contract down and joins the Arsenal.

• Paid Members

Losing Angus in the first place was actually the worst thing about Gunny's ill-fated managerial stint here, IMO.

After he got sacked Bryan didn't feel he could stay in Norfolk anymore, so the family moved to Manchester where their eldest was about to start uni. That's how Angus ended up at Man City, as he was still a schoolboy then and they became his local club.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Statto said:

Losing Angus in the first place was actually the worst thing about Gunny's ill-fated managerial stint here, IMO.

Total freaking chaos when Bryan Gunn was managing there. I didn't think he'd had to leave Norfolk over it though.

• Paid Members

It wasn't like he was getting abused in the street or anything, he says that because of the "non-traditional" route he took the top job, he felt like he'd let people down and it was too raw to stick around in the immediate aftermath. Daughter going off to Manchester presented an opportunity to get out of it all, which they took.

He'd done all sorts around the club/Norfolk in general before finally being brought in as goalkeeping coach, from where he became caretaker & then permanent manager (on the back of a Facebook campaign by aforementioned daughter, primarily) - he was the club's marketing manager for a while, did likewise for a mobile phone company in Yarmouth for a bit, was Sheriff of Norwich amongst other things.

One of the local journos puts out a book at Christmas, "Tales from the City", which is 11 chapters each written by a different ex-player, fan etc. Gunny's chapter in volume 1 was about how his managerial stint came about & the aftermath, and is by far the most interesting read either of the books so far has had.

7-1 home defeat against Colchester on the opening day of League 1 aside, I have always thought he did a half decent job (on virtually zero budget) laying the foundations to rebuild the club in that summer after relegation from the Championship, starting with only 7 or 8 professionals still on the books on July 1st. OK, there were some duds brought in (primarily Michael Theoklitos, the Aussie "goalkeeper" whose only appearance was the aforementioned Colchester game) but most of them were decent players who did a job in League 1 and then got moved on (journeymen like Owain Tudur Jones & Matty Gill) and the masterstroke that was the £250k signing of Grant Holt.

Anyhow, back to 17-18 stuff. Sorry all.

• Paid Members

I love the thought of Norwich being too hostile for Gunn to live there. "Everywhere I went they'd throw carrots at my car and tractors would pull into the middle of the A47 so I couldn't get passed".

Archived