It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, David said:

For me, the only way to get rid of Trump any time soon is to find from somewhere a candidate who is essentially Trump-lite. It has to be someone who can relate to those pesky sorts who work in factories and on farms, but at the same time not be a complete lunatic.

It surely makes sense that in order to win, the opposition will likely have to convince some of those who voted for Trump to jump sides, right? Well, I don't see them doing that for anyone who is the exact opposite of the Donald. 

In terms of the relating to blue-collar workers bit, yeah absolutely agree and it's why I would still vote for Biden if I had to vote in a primary for any of the 'A-list' candidates if Cory Booker didn't run. 

On the Trump-lite thing, some academic articles and polling (which I can't bloody find right now) seems to suggest that one of the things that voters (especially Independents) like about the Democrats is that they do represent a less appalling brand of politics currently than Republicans. It sure as shit doesn't feel like it's beneficial, but an important aspect of the party's appeal and it's why they are so careful to toe the line between outright obstructionism on everything and occasional moderation and cooperation. It's also why they can't just spend the next 24 months on investigations and blocking everything.

Because of who their voters are, the positive parts of their party brand and the coalitions they need to build, different rules politically do apply to the Democrats over Republicans as to what they can and can't get away. So, apart from the obvious danger of having two Trump's bopping around and throwing hand grenades at democratic institutions, from a purely political tactics point of view, it probably wouldn't be the best course either for a Democrat. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, David said:

It surely makes sense that in order to win, the opposition will likely have to convince some of those who voted for Trump to jump sides, right?

Not sure if that's true. Shitloads of people didn't bother voting at all.

Just now, David said:

Another thing that I've not seen mentioned, is it a certainty that Trump is going to want to run again? Surely there's a good chance he buggers off back to the business world after his four years are up?

He has literally already printed the banners for it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

It's a bit X-Factor but there's a personality aspect to it. In the same way that someone else with Trump's policies and attitude would die on their arse but he doesn't because he's Donald Trump, I'm sure Obama absolutely mullers him, Trump or not.

Trump squeaked a win and isn't exactly lighting up the approval polls since.  The Dems need a candidate who isn't a Clinton, or part of the the established families.  As much as Trump is hated, I don't think it can be dismissed how much Hillary is hated too and how her shite, entitled campaign contributed to the sentient microwaved pus filled condom winning.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Trump squeaked a win and isn't exactly lighting up the approval polls since.  The Dems need a candidate who isn't a Clinton, or part of the the established families.  As much as Trump is hated, I don't think it can be dismissed how much Hillary is hated too and how her shite, entitled campaign contributed to the sentient microwaved pus filled condom winning.

Yep, my understanding from the Americans I have spoken to is it was like choosing Aids or Cancer to be injected with. While Hillary seemed the obvious choice to us, there was a lot of controversy around her. You'd think they only need a half decent candidate to take on Trump in 2020 and win though

Cheers for the recommendations. I wasn't expecting as many responses, much appreciated.

I'd forgotten about Politico - I used that during the EU referendum and read some fascinating articles on it. I ought to watch more of Last Week Tonight as it's been handy for relaying things in relatively easy to understand terms when I have.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

For US politics, and loads more, https://fivethirtyeight.com is my go to site.  It analyses stats and data and puts it into terms that a schmuck like me can get my head around.

I'm a schmuck when it comes to this too so this sounds up my street.

Also @SuperBacon I'm intrigued by the book so please do post the title if you find it.

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yep, my understanding from the Americans I have spoken to is it was like choosing Aids or Cancer to be injected with. While Hillary seemed the obvious choice to us, there was a lot of controversy around her. You'd think they only need a half decent candidate to take on Trump in 2020 and win though

Another thing was that when you take the offices of President, Vice-President, and Secretary of State, the last time someone not called Bush or Clinton held one of those was 1980.  We have a monarchy but American political families are the equivalent.

• Moderators

The current press conference is one of his maddest. A mashup of anger and the deflated energy of Alan Patridge after piercing his foot on a spike. So far, he's painted last night's near-disaster as a historic victory, mocked losing Republicans, talked about how Obama's losses were far worse, got in two lengthy stand-up arguments with reporters (bellowing at them to sit down, calling them horrible people and pacing away from the podium in rage), asked a female reporter if she and a male reporter were together, then pretended he couldn't understand her perfectly-clear accent to get out of answering her question about women of colour.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

I’ve been watching his conference for the last 20 minutes, in

* he’s taken 15 questions, 14 from men

* answered s question about what God would think of his presidency 

* made Mike Pence stand up and declare that he will be running with Trump in 2020

* uttered the words “I’m very happy with me”

• Moderators

This probably counts as live chat, but it's a hypnotically unhinged performance. Snapping "what?" at a Japanese reporter like someone's dad yelling at a Spanish waiter, and answering a question about how he's going to stem the rise of anti-semitism by rambling on and on about how much less successful China is than America now. He's currently shouting over a woman and berating her for being a racist, for broaching the idea there might be white nationalism in the Republican party.

I feel bad we have to actually live though this, and all of the terrible shit that goes with the laffs, like staring straight at the eclipse or when his teeth fell out and he blessed "the United Schach." I'd much rather be some kid picking this apart for my history GCSEs in 20 years. Of course, we'll all be dead by then, but the point stands