It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I think he's renouncing the violence to try and save his ass from his second impeachment trial. He's going to need that pension, and to want to run again in 4 years, assuming he doesn't end up in some prison somewhere. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

They're not going to get a 2/3 majority in the Senate this time, are they? If only 10 Republican Congresspeople voted for it, I can't imagine a third of Republican Senators will.

I dont think they will tbh. There's maybe the chance that in an attempt to distance themselves from Trump, they throw him under the bus and try & push the 'lone wolf' narrative (like if he was a white terrorist)? Suspect I'm clutching at straws though. 

I read on Twitter - I think it was a tweet by @JNLister- that they only have to get a 2/3 majority of everybody who votes. Anybody who chooses not to vote (e.g. Republicans who don’t want to publicly turn on Trump, but privately want him out) are not included.

If I’ve got that right, it could end up being way more than 2/3 in favour of convicting.

• Paid Members

That appears to be the case, though you can vote "present" which is effectively "I'm abstaining but I want it on the record" and is different to simply not voting.

One possibility is that this gets you a bit closer to 2/3 even if the official Republican position is opposition. For example, 10 Republicans voting for conviction and 10 not voting would do it.

Another possibility, which exists only in my imagination but could work for Mitch McConnell, is that he simply says there's no purpose holding a trial after Trump's left office and that Republicans should simply boycott the whole affair. That would almost certainly mean Trump is convicted and banned from future office, but McConnell can plausibly claim the establishment Republicans didn't support it.

Tomorrow is the big day if I'm correct??!! 20th of January is the inauguration ceremony and trump is out as president!!
It actually shows how much power Trump holds in regards to social media. Since he has been banned he hasn't had that audience to play too and has been forced to finish up his term without any more controversy and disasters. 

• Paid Members

They reckon he's doling out a hundred pardons today to try and make sure his ass is covered as well as it can be once he leaves office. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/18/trump-warned-against-self-pardon-white-house-officials-reports

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

They reckon he's doling out a hundred pardons today to try and make sure his ass is covered as well as it can be once he leaves office. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/18/trump-warned-against-self-pardon-white-house-officials-reports

It's a double-edged sword, though. If he's prosecuted for something, the people he's pardoned can no longer plead the 5th, and be subpoenaed as witnesses, on penalty of obstruction of justice or perjury. He would have to pardon himself. And there are still the rumblings of state prosecutions, which pardons don't cover.

4 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

It actually shows how much power Trump holds in regards to social media. Since he has been banned he hasn't had that audience to play too and has been forced to finish up his term without any more controversy and disasters. 

Apart from every single state being on high alert to defend federal buildings tomorrow. Yeah it’s real quiet innit if you don’t count the insurrection. 

“It’s today then”.

I remember thinking four years ago how funny it was. Some arrogant narcissist sitting in the position of arguably the most powerful man in the world telling everyone how he is the best at everything.

But then it stopped being funny.

• Paid Members

It's pretty surreal thinking about what's happened in the last four years. I was thinking earlier about how history will view this last period because there's a lot things that the media never really touched on and quite a few potential crimes committed that I doubt we'll see a resolution to in the short term. 

It has been so refreshing to access social media and not be subjected to the constant dross and controversy stemming from his ridiculous tweets and the bun fight that ensues when both sides respond. Tomorrow in particular I think everyone will be on edge but it's made me wonder if everyone just ignored him in the first place, would he have just gone away? Would things have been more bearable? Dangerous to leave him to his own devices but I'm genuinely surprised he's not pulled any publicity stunts in the last ten days to try and get attention. 

I sincerely hope tomorrow passes without incident because the consequences of another attempted coup or violence will be with us for generations.