WWE UK Championship Tournament

Onyx2

If they set up a base for weekly shows I wonder where they will go? Blackpool is great but probably best saved for big shoes rather than weekly. London is would eat up their budget pretty quickly. Since they have quite a few Birmingham based wrestlers I think that would be the perfect really. It's very central and good for travel so it would make sense doing it around here.

It's also where I live so would be super continent for me which is the most important thing. Hopefully they never do a show in Scotland

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I reckon they'd probably alternate it a bit. London may seem pricey but if Progress and others can run there regularly, I don't see it being too costly for WWE. I think the difference in venue prices would be pocket change for them anyway and they'd budget for that.

Royal Albert Hall allows wrestling again now, doesn't it? Didn't they have Lucha there not long ago? That would be a fantastic venue for a big special.

• Paid Members

They'd be silly to do it live. Be far better to film it in blocks. How many shows do NXT film in a night, 3?

Film 3 in Manchester, 3 in Birmingham, 3 in London and finish with a live special. They need to stick to venues like the Winter Gardens, makes it stand out and looks fantastic (And I think is the right size for how big a crowd they could legit get for the show without bigger names on the cards)

• Paid Members

They'd be silly to do it live. Be far better to film it in blocks. How many shows do NXT film in a night, 3?

I think they do 4 shows per taping, usually near the beginning of each month.

The Winter Gardens is tremendous a venue for the darts, good shout.

Which one, Cleethorpes or Margate? I've heard the former is nice, haven't been before, but I've been to the one in Margate and that's a decent venue.

Night two was great.

WWE really booked Pete Dunne to come across as an absolute bastard and his match with Mark Andrews, who was HUGELY wasted in TNA (not that THAT's anything new) was incredible.

Tyler Bate was one over mother fucker and a worthy winner. 

Jordan Devlin was a nice surprise for me. A smug little prick in a good way - thought he might defeated Tyler to face Wolfgang for a short time there.

Had never seen Wolfgang before but he won me over with his performances and natural charisma, really liked him and look forward to seeing more of him.

Tommy End? Nope. Still don't get it. Sorry. Saw him YEARS ago was he had a shit physique and shorts and was not impressed in the slightest and now he has a slightly less shit physique, lots of tattoos and can do a few kicks and a moonsault. Don't get it. I want to, because so many people seem to rave about him like he's the second coming of The Rock or something but.... nope. Did absolutely nothing for me.

Love T-Bone but he needs to work on the pikey accent a bit. Good gimmick though. 'King of the Gypsies'. 

Agree that Cole and McGuinness on commentary were great and didnt mind the crowd. Yeah 'We deserve it!' made me cringe but overall they were loud and enthusiastic and having a good time and really added to the shows in my opinion.

Overall, yeah, a success I think. Highly enjoyed the shows.

Wonder where they go from here?

• Paid Members

Blackpool. It's used for the World Matchplay. Holds about 2000 I'd guess. It's where it was held this weekend. I just like going there.

Ah right, didn't realise it had two names. It was a fantastic venue, perfectly suited for the event.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if they did Winter Gardens, maybe York Hall or The Troxy for London, somewhere in Birmingham. Then maybe do something in Scotland, and Northern Ireland. That's a good few months of TV taped in various historic looking venues, certainly enough to see if it's viable I suppose. 

Totally loved the tournament from top to bottom.  It was fun, there was genuine excitement and it was fun, something that can be lacking from wrestling at time. I was really impressed with Tyler Bate, I've seen him for PCW and various other promotions online as well and he really gets what it's all about, the selling in the match with Pete Dunne was phenomenal, and his match with Tucker ( another I was impressed with) was one of the highlights of Day 1. 

Aside from that, dodgy accent aside, I liked T-Bone's gimmick, certainly a different look and has the chance of being a good hand when this gets weekly. James Drake has come on leaps and bounds recently and is awesome in the ring. Not keen on Jordan Devlin and really was not taken by Trent Seven or Joesph Connors.

Traditionally, I dont get on with Pete Dunne, never really got what he was about, but he was glorious as the prick people wanted to beat over the weekend and he played up to it beautifully. 

Cant wait to see what happens next and I havent been this excited about British Wrestling for some time!

I really enjoyed both nights but particularly night 2. I was messaging my mate who was at the first night and he said "They'll struggle to get the fans to boo Dunne, he's far too over" but the continiuing storyline of him generally being a horrible cunt and then attacking super face Tyler Bate got him some actual heat and boos as opposed to the Kevin Owens type reaction he was getting before.

As for the crowd, I thought they added more than they took away. Commentary kept on mentioning how the place was rocking and it almost reminded me of seeing early ECW footage and thinking "God, I wish I was there". I didn't mind the "we deserve it" thing either as it was more the UK scene in general deserves it. Didn't come across too badly for me. I will say though that my wife, who isn't a fan but will be dragged along to shows and watches wrestling on the telly with me when there's no alternative, didn't like the crowd. She was getting frustrated that the wrestlers were trying to generate a reaction in the ring by shouting "come on" or whatever and the songs and chants weren't relative to what was happening in-ring.

I do hope Triple H hinting at the end game being a weekly show does pan out, maybe get the champion to defend at other UK promotions.

Archived