WWE UK Championship Tournament

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

NVpVqSk.jpg

The WWE UK Championship Tournament is here!

Held in the Empress Ballroom Blackpool, broadcast live onthe WWE Network at 8pm UK time Saturday 14th / Sunday 15th.

Entrants include:

Tyler Bate
Tucker
Jordan Devlin
Danny Burch
Trent Seven
HC Dyer
Wolfgang
Tyson T-Bone
Mark Andrews
Dan Moloney
James Drake
Joseph Conners
Pete Dunne
Roy Johnson
Saxon Huxley
Sam Gradwell

Brackets are:

4FLFd63.png

Who's your pick?

If you want to get in the mood I heartily recommend this WWE Network special. It's a proper "UK fans are da best!" love-in but I'm OK with that.

I'm not a mod but: no live chat. Discuss after the show has aired. If you come in here after the event has aired and don't expect spoilers, you're a muppet.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only guy I've actually seen here is Mark Andrews in TNA, oh and Burch jobbing in NXT, so can't really judge the talent involved. But going off the UK Tourney preview on the network, hearing them speak a little bit, and seeing their look, I think I'm a Pete Dunne person. Just something about him that's got me rooting for him early. I do think HG's probably right about the final 4. The guys who stood either side of Hunter on the photo-shoot, Seven and Dunne appear to be the main prospects. Devlin they also played up on being trained by Balor and that and Andrews I'm presuming is one of the more experienced guys involved.

• Awards Moderator

As I said in t'other thread, they defied predictions with CWC, very intentionally I assume. It was a shoo-in that Zack Sabre Jr v Kota Ibushi would headline - we lost both in the semis.

Who will be the Jack Gallagher? Who will be the Ho Ho Lun?

I would like to lift a limp arm for Martin Stone. When I saw in FWA about a million years ago I was certain he'd go down well in the WWE. Shame he's a bit of a JTTS but I hear he's happy with that.

I feel kinda sorry for all this UK talent that peaked about ten years too early and missed their chance at this exposure.

• Paid Members

They've definitely been pushing the British Strong Style duo more than anyone in the same manner as they did with ZSJ & Ibushi for the CWC- that image of Trips draping his arms around Trent and Dunne set the tone. I reckon we will see them in the final, especially after the bracket has been announced. They could throw a swerve as they did with the CWC and only have one of them in the final, but I don't see them both missing out. According to Da Meltz, the reason they didn't have either ZSJ or Ibushi in the final is because they didn't sign contracts (The offer to ZSJ apparently being low and Ibushi didn't fancy the schedule), whereas Metalik and TJP did. This time around though they've learnt from this and according to big Dave they've signed all competitors to contracts. What kind of contracts though, who knows.

I haven't seen much of Progress (and similar promotions) beyond the odd YouTube clip so I'm really looking forward to this, as I think we'll see a very similar overall style. This is going to be a completely different night(s) of wrestling compared to WOS, which although I did really enjoy I think I'm going to enjoy this far more. Could be some early MOTY candidates this weekend.

I'm going with a Dunne win over Trent Seven in the final, with Mark Andrews and Jordan Devlin going out in the semis. Tyler Bate, T-Bone, Gradwell to reach the quarters- I can't pick between Conners/Drake from their match.

• Paid Members

The Network preview was interesting, we got a fair bit of Pete Dunne, but it seemed like we got more of Trent Seven than anyone. He's such a natural talker and looked far more comfortable on camera than anyone else. The Jordan Devlin pieces were good too. I'd keep an eye on him, they obviously love the Balor story and I could see him going far.

I didn't like how Roy Johnson was just another bloke in a suit, he's got so much personality and poise when in character - hopefully they give him two minutes on the mic before his inevitable loss to Pete Dunne. I think he'll get over huge with all his Catchphrases. Sam Gradwell and Joseph Conners are ones to watch too. Can definitely see WWE being high on both of them.

• Paid Members

I didn't like how Roy Johnson was just another bloke in a suit

I wouldn't worry about that, they had everyone in a suit. They're definitely trying to give the tournament a bit of a Peaky Blinders feel (which is how BSS come across to me anyway), given how popular it is in the States.

Can't see past Pete Dunne or Trent Seven winning this, which I'm fine with as I really like both.

I'd like T-Bone get to the quarters or semis but I can't see Wolfgang losing in the first round. Given the apparent good relationship between WWE and ICW I imagine the latter's World Champion will get quite far in the tournament.

• Paid Members

I already thought Jordan Devlin was the dark horse for this before watching the preview, even more so after watching it. So while I agree Dunne and Seven are the favourites, I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Deviln winning the whole thing.

My initial call before the brackets were released was Joe Connors to win. I can see him beating Mark Andrews to set up a match with Pete Dunne but I can't see past Dunne winning that and going on to the final against either Tyler Bate or Trent Seven.

When the CWC started everyone was convinced who was going to be in final and who would win it so they might go against the obvious again.

In terms of UK indies I'm mostly familiar with ICW and a lot of the Northern regulars who heavily featured on WOS - but from what I have seen of Seven and Dunne it makes me think they'll both go to the final.

I'm looking forward to these shows, initially I was a little disappointed that a lot of the guys who were featured on WOS had missed out on this - but obviously if ITV give it a go with a series it could be well worth being on that side of the fence instead.

I'd never heard of any of these guys before watching the preview last night, but I want the boys from Birmingham and Dudley to do well, especially the Dudley bloke who said "ya day see that comin did ya?" the little snippets were enough to make me want to see more from these guys and really hopeful that it becomes a weekly show (has that been confirmed yet?) which presumably tours the country doing smaller venues.

when I first read about it I wasn't that fussed and didn't buy tickets even though I looked to see availability and had very good seats in the basket (added to the fact that I bloody love Blackpool) but watching that has made me kick myself for not snapping some up, i'm really looking forward to it. A bit pissed that it'll be on at the same time as Sherlock to be honest.

so yeah, wasn't fussed about it and never heard of anyone but now I can't bloody wait!

Email now out with VIP info. Saying to be there for 4, and my train down doesn't get into just after 4. Hoping we get to leave after m&g rather than 3 hour wait in venue when I could be checking in hotel.

Archived