WWE UK Championship Tournament

Onyx2

• Paid Members

My only complaint is the name of Tyler Bate's finisher, don't need reminding he was born in 1997.

To be fair, it's a play on the Misawa finisher, Tiger Driver 91.

Would I lose anything if I just watched night 2? I've seen the Pete Dunne bit from night 1.

My friends are popping round to watch the tournament one night this week, I'm going to suggest just the second night. The first night was good- don't get me wrong- but 4 hours is a long time, they're getting on a bit now (and aren't as interesting in wrestling anymore) and the 2nd night understandably has much better matches.

What a bloody great night of wrestling. The right winner (although Dunne should get the belt as soon as they run a regular show), a nice little surprise match and some shit hot wrestling. Shocked to see Seven lose to Wolfgang (good news for ICW mind you) but I definitely 'got' Seven a lot more tonight. He was good.

Torn between Dunne/Andrews and Dunne/Bate for MOTN, but both are MOTY candidates as it stands. This show is going to take some beating- even Wrestlemania and NXT Takeovers.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I echo PunkStep, what a bloody great night of wrestling.

Wolfgang got me fully on side during his match with Seven, probably my favourite from the quarters. Dunne and Andrews was an absolutely fantastic match. It was a nice surprise to see Neville show up, and glad to see him win because I'm loving his current character.

The show long storyline with Pete Dunne was just excellent, and culminated in a superb story being told in the final, with the right feelgood ending. Wonderful stuff. He and Bate are both so, so good.

I'm excited to see where this goes next. I was happy to see WOS back but I enjoyed this a lot more. Plus it had Blue Peter badges. Well done WWE - this is already a highlight of 2017.

• Paid Members

If you stop to think about it, it's actually pretty mental what we have witnessed over the past few weeks. First British wrestling on mainstream terrestrial TV and now the crowning of a WWE UK Champion. It's been an absolutely momentous month for BritWres, things are happening over here that I never thought were possible. After this weekend's fantastic shows I can't wait to see what format WWE's UK show takes moving forward.

Fantastic show to cap an amazing weekend of wrestling, really pleased that Tyler Bate won, had never seen him in action before but now he's an instant favorite. Wouldn't have begrudged them giving the title to Dunne either mind you, he played the carefree, cocky arsehole heel to perfection this weekend and they have an instant storyline to build on with him and Regal should he wind up in NXT

Obvious bias here but marked out for Cole mentioning the Everton/City result when they showed Robbie Brookside on camera (who's a massive Evertonian incase anyone wasn't aware) also loved the fact that Cole and Nigel were wearing their Blue Peter badges that they got when they were on the show in the week

Really fun show to be at!

Worked out really well with the crowd getting solidly behind Tyler Bate, and his advancement through the tournament. Shows how well he did when he was the first to properly get the crowd to go against Pete Dunne, who they were cheering for earlier in the night despite his antics.

We were sat very close to the commentary table, and we loved how much Michael Cole was getting into it, throwing his hands everywhere, and even doing a head-bob dance to the Tyler Bate/Give It Up chant! :D

Lots of fun.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the tournament and presentation. It’s going to take a while to get used to McGuinness on commentary if he’s going to become a permanent fixture in WWE, though. He must think the attention fan of the average wrestling fan is 2 minutes, as I lost count the amount of times he repeated things like “Wolfgang works in a pub”.

British wrestling is stronger than its been since the Big  Daddy days.

Nows the time to support the local promotions. from WOS to the UK championsip theres no difference between what the Americans are doing and what we are doing. The fact were British we should support our own and be proud. Were just as good if not better

British wrestling is stronger than its been since the Big  Daddy days.

Nows the time to support the local promotions. from WOS to the UK championsip theres no difference between what the Americans are doing and what we are doing. The fact were British we should support our own and be proud. Were just as good if not better

First time seeing Jordan Devlin, and his head/body is far too distracting. His head is Ken Griffey in Simpsons levels.

Liked the little touch from the announcer saying that there was time limits. That's a rarity these days right?

Pete Dunne is excellent. Looks and acts the nasty bastard.

Michael Cole was better here than I've ever heard him. Shame he can't be like this all the time.

Nigel McGuinness is good looking isn't he?

Loved the show, hated the crowd... not a ton of mentions on here about how terrible they were? Crowds like Full Sail, NXT Melbourne, really any smarky crowd usually get read the riot act here.

"We deserve it" was the most wanky, arrogant thing I've ever heard a crowd chant. So much entitlement. It's along the same lines of Facebook comments I read- "When are we getting Wrestlemania in the UK?" What makes them think they deserve anything? WWE is an American-based company, and the UK already gets far more than any other country in Europe, Asia, Australia- Raw and Smackdown twice a year, NXT Takeover, your own championship (twice!). It infuriates me, still waiting for WWE to swing us a single episode of Raw or Smackdown. The one time WWE swung us anything resembling a big show (Global Warning Tour, 14 fucking years ago!) we put 56,000 in a stadium, and even that wasn't really WWE canon. UK fans are the luckiest ones in the world outside of North America, but it seems, at least with crowds like the one in that ballroom, there's a total lack of acknowledging it, and always wanting more, more, more!

Anyway, I need to breathe. Some great talent in the tournament. Super impressed with Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews and there's something really likeable about Wolfgang. My favourite match of the tournament was Dunne vs. Andrews, with Dunne vs. Bate close behind.

Loved the show, hated the crowd... not a ton of mentions on here about how terrible they were? Crowds like Full Sail, NXT Melbourne, really any smarky crowd usually get read the riot act here.

"We deserve it" was the most wanky, arrogant thing I've ever heard a crowd chant. So much entitlement. It's along the same lines of Facebook comments I read- "When are we getting Wrestlemania in the UK?" What makes them think you deserve anything? WWE is an American-based company, and the UK already gets far more than any other country in Europe, Asia, Australia- Raw and Smackdown twice a year, NXT Takeover, your own championship (twice!). It infuriates me, still waiting for WWE to swing us a single episode of Raw or Smackdown. The one time WWE swung us anything resembling a big show (Global Warning Tour, 14 fucking years ago!) we put 56,000 in a stadium, and even that wasn't really WWE canon. UK fans are the luckiest ones in the world outside of North America, but it seems, at least with crowds like the one in that ballroom, there's a total lack of acknowledging it, and always wanting more, more, more!

Anyway, I need to breathe. Some great talent in the tournament. Super impressed with Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Mark Andrews and there's something really likeable about Wolfgang. My favourite match of the tournament was Dunne vs. Andrews, with Dunne vs. Bate close behind.

I wasn't a fan of the "we deserve it" chants but that one was egged on by the ring announcer before the show who basically said the UK deserves this show because of the UK fans passion / loudness / whatever.

Was there both nights. Incredibly bored of people slagging off the fans.

Crowds like there was on both nights helped make the shows great. Atmosphere on night 1 was great and night 2 was off the charts.

No one was 'trying to get themselves over'. They/we were just having a bloody good time watching some great wrestlers and supporting the various wrestlers through chants and songs. Its part of sporting culture in this country to do so when attending events as fans.

In no way whatsoever were the fans a negative. Quite the opposite. Look at Saxon Huxley. Relatively unknown before the tournament, lost in the first round yet got the Jesus chants and was over huge tonight as a cult figure in him & Tucker's dark match win. Fans made a star out of someone WWE wasnt really gonna do much with.

• Paid Members

I honestly don't know what people expect of crowds if they're complaining about the fans the last two nights? I took the "we deserve it" chant to mean British Wrestling as a whole, and they're right, they do deserve some recognition, the revival over the past 5 years or so has been incredible.

They were in to every match and really added to the whole thing in my opinion, a far cry from the deafening silence that 90% of WWE's other shows are met with these days. Give me "one fall" chants over the front three rows visibly sitting on their phones the entire show any day of the week.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, the second night was excellent and now I'm really excited to see where they go with it. I've gone from not knowing who Bate and Dunne were 48 hours ago to being more interested in them than anyone on the Raw roster.

Archived