WWE SummerSlam 2016

tiger_rick

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found a very good stream on kodi so watched entire show live, something I've not done in ages.

Enjoyed Cena/Styles the most I think. Commentary after was shit though. The new overexcited lad kept trying to bring up the symbolism of Cena leaving his wrist band in the ring, but JBL wouldn't shut the fuck up with his inane clichés.

John Stewart should never be on a WWE show again, and neither should Naomi. Was embarrassed for her during her entrance and when she did those crap kicks. Nicki Bella returning triumphantly to team with the heels but still act like a face was a bit of a puzzler.

Glad Rollins lost cos he's awful, but the match was boring and 'the demon king' going over to hug his parents was a bit shit. Hopefully Balor will grow into the role and not be a dud champ.

Main event was okay, but Shane vs Brock down the line is hilarious. Hope Shane wrestles in MMA shorts.

Styles/Ambrose is what I'm looking forward to most after all this.

PWInsider reporting that Finn Balor has fucked his arm and that it might be serious and he may need surgery.

I did notice him respond poorly to the powerbomb against the barricade, he looked in real bother.

Tiger Rick might get his wish, they may have to hotshot the belt on to Seth.

It's a real shame for Finn if true.

Styles is bigger than McGregor.

Wrestling isn't really doing it for me at the moment. The opener was great - Owens and Jericho compliment each other very well. Owens is much better when he's using comedy rather than trying to come across as solid as that's fairly laughable when you look at him.  He's the right balance of threat. He's also stopped doing 100 highspots in 2 minutes, and has fewer moves that are more over. Good job. Of course Enzo and Cass bring great energy and natural charisma.

Sasha vs. Charlotte was a great match too. Surprised by the finish, but we'll see where it goes.

AJ vs. Cena didn't do much for me. It felt like another Cena 'moves' match, though not to the extent of his Owens matches. The crowd seemed to love it and people on here seem to have enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I'd rather see Cena's style against Styles'...er, style...rather than Cena trying to match the style of AJ.

Rollins vs. Balor just didn't interest me. Once Ambrose had won, I was pretty certain Balor was going to win but it didn't feel monumental at all. The new title is shit - three belts with the same design. I'm fine with the women's belt having the same design - equal to men's, and obviously not going to be mistaken for the world title - but the Universal title should represent difference to the other brand's title. Completely agree that the push is too quick for someone of his talent. I don't see him as main event worthy at the moment and not someone to carry the brand. I expect a pretty short title reign. He's surely someone to chase the title. I'd say it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here, but frankly I don't really care. Another gripe, though it may be seen as nit-picking, is The Demon King is very close to The Demon Kane which they've been referring him to. His get-up and entrance is something that creates interest in him, but the back story does nothing for me and he's still just a wrestler when he's in the ring. They're pushing the fact he's more dangerous as the Demon (if he's more dangerous or better like that, why is he not that all the time?) but he wrestles the same way.

Ambrose vs. Ziggler did nothing for me either. Too many matches felt the same. Not enough variety. However, Reigns and Rusev, brief as it was, did something different. I haven't seen their match on Raw and was looking forward to their match at Summerslam. I'd liked to have seen a proper match, but I can watch Raw for that now they've done that. It was a shorter length which created variety and Reigns was booked how he should be. He's brilliant at being a credible, physical, brawling wrestler. Rusev is great at that too. The spear was lush.

Didn't really care for the main event, though selfishly it was entertaining seeing Orton cut open.

One of the big things I've come away from it is that the selling is pretty shit too. I can't get caught up in some of the matches because I don't believe the other person's hurt or it's not woven into the story. It's just move after move, often with no rhyme or reason. Call me old-fashioned, but I think you can still do an exciting fast-paced match whilst integrating good selling.

My GOD that and the pre-show was a slog to get through. 6 hours is too fucking long for anything, let alone current WWE.

Surprised/not surprised that Charlotte regained the strap. Figured they would have run with Sahsa for longer as they are clearly pushing Nia Jax and Charlotte currently has no challengers.but at the same time Vince clearly loves Charlotte and, to be fair, she does get a strong heel reaction and is the best all-round female performer they have currently. Am assuming it has to be Bayley/Charlotte going forward - who else can it be?

Love that AJ beat Cena. Sucks for Balor if he is injured, Am over the New Day 6 months ago yet it seems like their title reign MUST continue!
Ambrose - Dolph was m'eh. Heel turn for Ziggler? 

Credit to Nikki Bella for returning from the injury. No more rack attack though. 
Love that they explained Eva's absence and continued her storyline. Loving the kayfabe reason too.

Lesnar has jumped the shark. He is clearly there to put in the absolute bare minimum of effort.
Ending was dramatic with all the blood loss, I'll give them that. 

Glad Rollins lost cos he's awful

Please can you share a constructive reason for this?

I would agree that the match wasn't good. Rollins and Balor didn't have any chemistry. Instead highlighting Balor being pushed far too quickly. I'd rather see somebody like Neville who deserves the opportunity more get the victory.

My biggest dislike was seeing Balor take a Superplex and get up straight away no selling the whole entire move. Fuck you and your Lego Finn! Fuck right off.

Rollins was not happy with the WWE fans last night, nor was Mick Foley

Couresty of Rollins Twitter:

More important than a title's appearance is what it represents for the men fighting over it. You really let me down tonight, Brooklyn.

....and courtesy of Mick's Twitter in response.

There's a reason this tweet has 9,000 RT's. The behavior was juvenile & disrespectful to @WWERollins & @FinnBalor.

I do feel they both have a point to be fair. Okay, the name is lame and there have been more attractive belts out there but to heavily boo when Finn grabbed the belt was a tad obnoxious in my opinion.

SmackDown tag match was nowhere near as good as the one they actually had on SmackDown. And either American Alpha or Uso's are turning heel after that result. Which, in all honesty, is probably for the best. They're comfortably the best two teams on SmackDown, so should be feuding over the Tag Titles initially - whenever SmackDown gets them - and therefore one of those sides has to turn heel.

The way Cole was bigging up Zayn/Neville as a team, suggests they may actually stick around for a while as a team (NXT Alumni as a name maybe?). Maybe just a couple of months before the Cruiserweight division really kicks in on RAW and they can have a jealousy angle over that belt. Dudley's still have communication problems and nothing going any further than that with them.

Sheamus and Cesaro was good enough entertainment if it was the first time you've seen them go at it. If it's the third time in a month then it was nothing special. Rather predictable outcome to.

Then the proper show started. Enzo/Cass remain the best thing in the company, Jeri-KO remain the second best thing in the company. Their feud has everything it needs to be outstanding.

Echoing all the surprise at Charlotte regaining the Women's Title already but given how far up Ric's arse they are, it probably shouldn't be all that surprising. The actual match didn't excite me either, the  Razor's Edge/hurricanrana spot came about with Charlotte just holding a hand out waiting for Sasha to put her hand there. And the move in the corner that fucked Sasha's back up looked like it didn't go totally to plan. What are the odds on Dana being the next challenger? Charlotte out on RAW saying she's proven she needs nobody in her corner and just fucks Dana off leading to her turning face and being the challenger. I feel they'll hold Bayley off until a bigger moment (Rumble/Mania/day after Mania). Sasha will probably have her rematch tonight on RAW or at Clash of the Champions.

As expected the highlight of the IC Title match was Maryse. Fuck me she looked special last night. The in-ring action was bland. Miz tries but without a real foe, his reign as champion isn't as big as it should be. 

Cena and Styles put on an amazing match. They work so well together, as two of the world's best performers should do. Given the interaction with the Club backstage, I was expecting them to get involved but thankfully they didn't. They just allowed Styles to go over clean (with a bloody mouth). Now he'll be moving upwards, ready to take on and presumably dethrone Ambrose. There's nothing else for him to do on SmackDown other than that. A bit of time off for Cena would be good for him but I don't know if SmackDown can afford to lose his drawing power. 

Tag Title match was a real let down from the start. Jon Stewart should never be near a WWE ring again. Gallows and Anderson shouldn't be doing doctor skits any more (was this all a ploy just to get people calling him Doc Gallows?). The crowd popped like fuck for Big E though, which is a good thing. He can be a huge star on his own. Demolition got a mention on commentary, that's gotta be a first in a real long time. Could this mean they're going into the Hall of Fame this year? (a bit like they only started mentioning Kendrick/London once Kendrick was in the Cruiserweight Classic)

I actually enjoyed Ambrose and Ziggler, maybe just because Ambrose won. It was him who seemed to be more heelish during the match though which was a surprise. Taking the piss out of Zigger, trash talking. He was very Kevin Owens like in his antics. 

I wasn't overly surprised to see Nikki return or to pick up the decisive pin fall in the women's six tag match. Why they had Carmella be the one to take the fall is another matter. You've called these up for a reason, why have them eating defeats this early? Throw Naomi as the loser. Ah well fuck it. The match was nothing special.

Are all new WWE Title just gonna be the same design? WWE, Womens and now the Universal are all just a WWE logo in the middle. Can't be creative with storylines or title designs by the looks of things. Rollins and Balor performed a decent enough match but it just felt flat and I think showing everybody The Demon King on RAW was a real reason for it. On that note, if he's the Demon King then he should have completely different music for that character rather than doing the same thing as he does as Finn with the throwing the arms into the air and that. Right result though. Be interesting to see where they go from here with him.

I didn't like the Rusev/Reigns brawl, it just made Rusev look like a bitch. He lost on RAW, he's the one who couldn't compete at SummerSlam, he's the one who can't defend his wife. The brawl could have happened where both looked like monsters, both look even. Right now Reigns looks like a big deal, Rusev looks like his punching bag.

I'm obviously in the minority here but I enjoyed Lesnar/Orton. It was the match I was expecting of Lesnar twatting him, though I thought after the way they've built it up that Orton was going to get the win. Initially I thought the ending wasn't meant to be that way as Lesnar backed away. But then when he went back for more, I thought then yeah this was meant to happen. And once Shane came down, Orton moved over to the corner I was fully expecting him to RKO Lesnar to end the show. Blood everywhere but him still standing tall at the end. But alas it just was Brock giving Shane an F5.

Overall, I thought it was a decent enough show. Ranallo and Graves are my favourite commentators, the other four can fuck off. Otunga has one tone, JBL is still shite (and still taking swipes at Saxton) Saxton is still that mate who you try and make sure doesn't get invited to the night out and Cole, I've just never had any time for. Jojo is fucking stunning and as a ring announcer, I'd say an improvement on Lillian Garcia. 

Glad Rollins lost cos he's awful

Please can you share a constructive reason for this?

I would agree that the match wasn't good. Rollins and Balor didn't have any chemistry. Instead highlighting Balor being pushed far too quickly. I'd rather see somebody like Neville who deserves the opportunity more get the victory.

My biggest dislike was seeing Balor take a Superplex and get up straight away no selling the whole entire move. Fuck you and your Lego Finn! Fuck right off.

On Rollins, I think he's shit too. Sure, he's good in the ring. But that doesn't mean anything anymore. Pretty much everyone is good. It's not like the 1980s. Savage vs Steamboat happens every month now.

His promos are shit. They seem even longer than Triple H early 2000 six hour openings, except I used to believe what H would say. Seth is just a shit actor reading shit lines in a shit voice with a shit face. And fucking hell that stupid laugh.

I also don't believe for a second that he could beat up any of the babyfaces. He looks and acts like a total Walter the softie. Look at Joe as NXTs main heel. I believe he can and will kill me and everyone else in the world. I don't see Rollins as a threat to any of the good guys and his acting is so shit that I don't care about any of the goodies giving him a hiding. He's just there. Having four star matches that don't matter.

All the titles looking similar is very UFC. Shit from a merch pov , as I bet more than one kid gets the same belt bought twice for them

With the new Cruiserweight division, that'll give them another chance to make another belt that looks the same.

Archived