WWE SummerSlam 2016

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

The pre-show starts at 10pm UK time.

A rematch of the 12 Man tag from Smackdown Live this week and Sami Zayn & Neville vs The Dudleys have been announced for it today.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Great thread design Rick.

Apart from Mickey Foley, I'm the only person looking forward to Sheamus v Cesaro.

And what a great job they've done with Lesnar & Orton! When this was rumoured a few months back I couldn't be more apathetic but now it's the match to look out for.

Both men won their first World title at SummerSlam. Brock beat The Rock in 2002. Orton beat ***** ****** in 2004.

They both also became the youngest world champions by doing so, with Orton's win allegedly being a deliberate move to take the record away from Brock, who'd left the company just a few months ago. That might just be Internet talk though.

Have Orton and Lesnar faced each other on TV before? It's being billed as their first match on pay-per-view, which bugs me because it feels like a needlessly specific qualification, unless they crossed paths in some meaningless SmackDown match while third-generation Randy was still being sold on his dropkicking abilities.

• Paid Members

Both men won their first World title at SummerSlam. Brock beat The Rock in 2002. Orton beat ***** ****** in 2004.

They both also became the youngest world champions by doing so, with Orton's win allegedly being a deliberate move to take the record away from Brock, who'd left the company just a few months ago. That might just be Internet talk though.

Have Orton and Lesnar faced each other on TV before? It's being billed as their first match on pay-per-view, which bugs me because it feels like a needlessly specific qualification, unless they crossed paths in some meaningless SmackDown match while third-generation Randy was still being sold on his dropkicking abilities.

That's exactly the case.

Excellent write-up Rick. It's interesting that you credited Wand in stealing his format, because this weekend is a huge MMA show in UFC 202, Conor McGregor rematching Nate Diaz. So that's taken most of my attention, and with NXT Takeover happening at the same time, pro wrestling is taking a backseat. But on paper, Summerslam is a hell of a show, even with some odd build up, and you've really done it justice here.

Most looking forward to Cena vs. AJ. I watched them wrestle in Sydney last weekend, and it was the match of the night by a clear distance on a card that featured Reigns vs. Rollins, Zayn vs. Owens and Jericho vs. Balor (yeah, we were a bit spoiled). The events of SD lead me to believe AJ is winning (although I had that in my head anyway). How bad is Cena's Summerslam record? 4-8, soon to be 4-9 IMO. But the match should be amazing, and AJ needs a big time win on his resume after losing Rumble, Mania, Extreme Rules, Payback and Battleground. I'm not crying burial, because he's obviously been positioned as a major star so far, but that's a shocking PPV record. Fans eventually notice this stuff, look at Bray Wyatt.

No matter what they do with Ambrose and Ziggler, it still feels like a TV main event to me. Maybe because when it was announced, my mind flashed to a Raw a few months ago when they wrestled a technically good, but typical "let's fill time on a 3 hour show" fare. I'm sure they'll deliver a good match being Summerslam though.

Intrigued by Balor vs. Rollins. WWE have kind of booked themselves into a corner here. They've pushed Balor hard and revealed the Demon side of him, if they're having Rollins win the new title it'll cut Balor's balls off before he gets started, basically doing a Ryback. I haven't been uber impressed with Balor in NXT, so hopefully Rollins lights a fire under him and he'll show why he was a major star in New Japan.

The other really intriguing bout is Enzo/Cass vs. Jeri-KO. Enzo & Cass are probably the most successful act of the new era, but aren't exactly known for their snowflake filled matches. Really keen to see what the veterans Jericho and Owens have in mind for Summerslam.

I'm still mostly UFC minded until late tomorrow, but when I want to GET HYPED, I'll come back and read this topic :)

having just looked at what I imagine is the final card now that the two Preshow matches have been confirmed, it looks like a really good card on paper and could be a really good show overall.

Surely the heel girls in the tag match would pick Nia Jax to replace Eva.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic

Zayn on the pre show after a show stealer with Owens before is a disappointment. Not sure why they haven't given him a proper feud to work with. Oddly lost in the shuffle when there's no real excuse with two rosters. Unless there's a good reason that I've missed?

It's just lack of heels, isn't it? Everyone's busy and the roster is a bit imbalanced, particularly with Enzo and Cass getting the big push.

having just looked at what I imagine is the final card now that the two Preshow matches have been confirmed, it looks like a really good card on paper and could be a really good show overall.

But the womens tag is a SD match.  It'll probably be Nikki if she returns as a heel. Plus they're bound to put her on SD so she can be with Cena.

But the womens tag is a SD match. It'll probably be Nikki if she returns as a heel. Plus they're bound to put her on SD so she can be with Cena.
Hadn't even clocked that to be honest. So long as they don't make lovely Becky look a chump they can do whatever then

Archived