WWE SummerSlam 2016

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

There's loads of conjecture in that report past what even Meltzer reported - what's the source?

That aside, can hardly be surprised there'd be tension with Lesnar after the absolute mess of his UFC return and wellness exemption, that Ambrose interview and his still being top of the card over two world titles too.

Bloody love Jericho though - Goldberg, Lesnar, fans on the street, he's not arsed is he. Will go down swinging.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I'd give him a crack at the Raw title for a few months. He'd be entertaining as piss and faces chasing him could be bundles of fun.

The opposite sort of heel reign as Seth Rollins had, in other words. He'd put the new title over big as well considering he would be guaranteed to talk about it non stop and act as though it were literally the biggest and best prize in the entire galaxy of sport or entertainment.

I'd love if Jericho was champion and him and KO were tag champs. The tag belts being in the main event rules. It's something I've always loved.

• Paid Members

Summerslam ramblings as I've only just had chance to watch it. I really hate to be that guy who posts having not read the thread, but on this occasion I am that guy. Sorry.

I watched the show in my own highlight form and I'm glad I did so.

American Alpha throwing around all the jobber teams was amusing. I'm sad for Tyler Breeze, but literally everyone else in the match aside from Alpha are non-entities. What a woeful tag division they've found themselves in. Poor lads. I think the Usos stealing the win was quite a fun way to start building some heat between them but the Usos can just fuck off. I struggle to even look at them these days. Like their very presence on my screen offends the eyes. With their horrible gear and identikit matches and no discernible personality between them. Mojo Rawley is like a WORSE HACKSAW JIM DUGGAN. As in he's like Jim Duggan, BUT HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS JIM DUGGAN. It doesn't bear thinking about. Christ.

Sami Zayn and Neville vs The Dudleys. Skipped this until the finish, obviously. Please don't let this be Sami Zayn's lot in life. ''Think we have the makings of a pretty good tag team'' says Cole. Please god no.

Lol at that Sheamus vs Cesaro series. I am going to fast forward every bleedin' second of it from now on. The match pretty much summed up my view of Cesaro. Everyone loved all of his spots. I did too, the hop from the ring post onto the buckle into cross body was lovely stuff in particular, but absolutely nobody was upset that Sheamus cheated and beat him. Because nobody cares if Cesaro wins or loses. This series is going to be death. I hope they tie it up at 3-3 and then the blow off is a Steel Beige match, fought to a 30 minute time limit bore. Sorry.

Watched the Enzo/Cass promos and all of JeriKO's interview bits and the match and it was fun. JeriKO are magnificent. I'm loving the Jericho renaissance but I would actually marry K.O. if he didn't already have a stunning wife to scupper my plans. He is a better man than most.

I enjoyed Sasha/Charlotte despite the botches. Shame how things have worked out with the injury and this match going a bit wrong though, as the TV match where Sasha won the belt was great stuff.  I worry that Sasha is going to kill herself or someone else if she keeps doing what she's doing though. A lot of the time it just seems to be doing things way too fast. I get that she's trying to impress but I do worry. I love Charlotte. Think she's improved so much in what is still a relatively short time since her call up. It's a real shame the title has been hot-shotted back onto her like this but if it had to be done I think heel champion Charlotte has been so vital to creating this new women's division that this was the best choice for now by far.

Obviously skipped Miz vs Apollo Crews. Anyone who voluntarily sat through that is a mad man in my eyes.

AJ/Cena was pretty good, though I'm a bit sad that they don't seem to quite click together and just have to do near fall overdrive. Still thought it was the best thing on the card though. Had some drama and both guys are a cut above most people on the roster in terms of making you believe they want to win.

Gallows/Anderson vs New Day suffered from being over exposed on TV for me. Liked the pop for Big E's return.

Ziggles is a turd and Ambrose for me is not the man to carry him in a title match so I completely fast forwarded that and just watched the crappy finish.

I actually thought the six woman tag was loads of fun. Loved Becky catching Bliss' leg out of a leapfrog, Naomi doing some of her fun spots and the whole thing just flowing nicely and being quite good. I wish they'd do something with Becky Lynch. I feel that the fans really want to get behind Becky but it's hard to do because she loses every feud she's in and only gets to shine in nothing matches like this. Also the Eva Marie gimmick continues to be absolute gold, and it's tremendous that it involves such little participation from Eva Marie that they can run it during a suspension Getting as much heat as possible with the absolute minimum effort is what good wrestling booking is all about.

I find Carmella so, so excruciating to watch though. I can't believe they called her up from NXT and kept the same act intact when it's absolute death. Why on Earth she's supposed to be a babyface when everything about her act makes you hate her is beyond me. She seems nice on Breaking Ground but her character is so utterly hateful. As I've said before, she could do exactly what she's doing now as a heel instead and it'd be gold.

I liked Ballor/Rollins. I'm not quite as down on Ballor as some folks and it's really shitty that he's had to vacate immediately. I've found it encouraging that they just decided to fully pull the trigger with him, more in the sense that they've decided to fully pull the trigger with anyone than it being Ballor in particular. I enjoy his matches though, and I think he can be quite expressive in the ring even if his promos are... not great. Totally agree that they haven't really done much to make you invest in him emotionally and the title win feeling cold though. He didn't even look all that thrilled about it, though I'm wondering if that was partly due to the injury.

Rusev/Reigns was also a thing. Rusev is wonderful and I love him.

Lesnar/Orton was weird. Find it difficult to excuse how heavy Brock was laying in his offense, even by his standards. You can see the elbow that did the damage and it's completely unnecessary. It's not real, dickhead. If you get confused, the pretend one is the one without the USADA testing. I dunno. I was never really into this as the main event anyway. Every time Orton gets a push I'm OK with it for a week or two and then remember that I find him deeply tedious.

Meh. Not the greatest. Luckily I had a blast watching Takeover and continue to enjoy CWC, so there's plenty for me to be positive about despite this show largely not doing it for me.

Just noticed a useless fact, the last time Cena won a singles match at SummerSlam was almost ten years ago vs Randy Orton in 2007.

2015: Lost vs Seth Rollins

14: Lost vs Brock Lesnar

13: Lost vs Daniel Bryan

12: Lost vs CM Punk and Big Show

11: Lost vs CM Punk

10: Won as part of Team WWE vs Nexus

09: Lost vs Randy Orton

08: Lost vs Batista

This series is going to be death. I hope they tie it up at 3-3 and then the blow off is a Steel Beige match, fought to a 30 minute time limit bore. Sorry.

Where the only way to win is to escape the beige by doing something interesting.

I always felt that Rollins should be the one to win the Legends Title, as he'd get more mileage out of it in the long run (see: first ever Undisputed Champion Chris Jericho), so Balor winning fell flat for me. Though for the time being at least, it seems he won't be the guy to carry the Raw brand on his shoulders.

Once upon a time, a referee would have reversed the decision in Orton's favour when Lesnar continued to attack repeatedly after the bell. It would have played into the F5 on Shane as well.

I enjoyed the show overall though, and even felt the Women's Title match recovered well from the mishaps, which were heart-in-mouth moments but didn't take me out of it or make me think the match was ruined. Though obviously the injury ruins longer term plans, if there were any.

Edit: Also meant to say, I hope John Stewart's WWE appearances haven't soured too many Americans on him, because his political stuff is excellent and should be heard by every potential voter in that country before they sleepwalk into a big pile of dogshit.

Archived