Wrestlers sabotaging matches

Egg Shen

Whilst of course this needs to be taken with a Himalayas-worth of salt because of the source material, in Hogan's 2002 WWE book (he might have others, I dunno), he also said that Vince asked him if he'd brought any red 'n' yellow gear with him that weekend because the plan was to send him out as the Hulkster of old from the get-go.

As he didn't, Hogan got in touch with a mate who went to his house and dug some out then had it couriered overnight to Toronto. By the time it had arrived, plans had changed and they were still going to go ahead with a face turn, but save the colour change for a bonus pop at a later date.

But yeah - same book where he's the one who tells Vince his dad's dying, he slams the 700lb Andre who died just weeks later etc. etc. so y'know.

Is that the book were he tells about being told steroids are safer than sugar?

"And I thought, 'well I put sugar into my body all the time, so they must be safe"*

* I don't recall if that's the exact quote as I no longer have the book

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There was no massive wave. There was that one show where the ovation went on across an ad-break. They completely over-estimated it and put the title on him. Died on it's arse and killed off HHH who'd only just started his big babyface title run. Dire stuff.

Fucking hell, her eye socket.

Does that shit go on regular in Japanese women's wrestling? I remember seeing that GAEA girls where that Meiko Satasomething woman kicked the shit out of someone too. Are they isolated incidents?

The dropkick that sent a trainee to the hospital?

There was no massive wave. There was that one show where the ovation went on across an ad-break. They completely over-estimated it and put the title on him. Died on it's arse and killed off HHH who'd only just started his big babyface title run. Dire stuff.

How long was he champ for before they realised what a mistake it was, a month?

• Paid Members

It depends on how you define sabotage but I'd make an argument for Hogan vs Sting at Starrcade '97.

People were desperate to see Sting kick Hogan's head in and, instead, we got Hogan slapping Sting about before pinning him with the leg drop, clean as a whistle. Bret Hart restarted the match because of a non-existant fast count, making him look like bit daft, and then Sting got a totally underwhelming win.

Hogan's said that he was pissed off about the shape Sting was in, and didn't want to put him over and Nick Patrick has said that he was told to count normally, though not by who. It seems obvious that Hogan wanted to sabotage Sting's title run, and cut the balls of a potential threat to his spot. I can't see any other reason for the match to be booked the way it was.

On a similar note has Charles Wright ever said why he missed his cue at Wrestlemania 8? I kind of figured it was along similar lines: Hogan told him to hang back because he figured that Sid would just stay down rather than kick out of the legdrop.

Yeah he picked it up at Backlash and lost it at Judgement Day. The real dregs of 2002, there. Some people think the entire year was a calamity but at least there was a semblance of direction with parts of the company from around SummerSlam on. That period after WrestleMania was when all them people holding on by fingernails after the invasion just decided to sod off. I know I did for a couple of months.

I can't even remember the Triple H/Hogan feud. That whole month is a blind spot in my knowledge of the WWE. I know Hogan was white hot but that doesn't mean you put the belt on him. He could have done some Flair one last shot at glory thing for months that done far better business. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Triple H was told that shit was going down. He must have been pissing buckets when Shawn Michaels was bouncing around like a coin in a washing machine for Hogan three years later.

• Awards Moderator

I always thought the Hogan thing made sense because they struck when the iron was hottest. Of course the most sensible option is to not give him the title at all, but if it was going to happen, that was the right time. Triple H did okay in the end so I don't feel that bad for him, and I love the Cell match he and Jericho had in May 2002 so he did fine for me. Much as I love the guy, it was arguably the title switch to Undertaker that made less sense than the Hogan one. Hogan-Rock-Lesnar would have had a nice generational continuity to it.

• Paid Members

About a day, I'd say! But the reign lasted a month.

• Paid Members

A bitter and jealous Yoshiko deciding to destroy rather than put over Act Yasukawa is one of the shittiest and most brutal things I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfGPKwebpeM

What's the story behind this? Not putting someone over is one thing, but beating the shit of of them is another.

A bitter and jealous Yoshiko deciding to destroy rather than put over Act Yasukawa is one of the shittiest and most brutal things I've ever seen.

What's the story behind this? Not putting someone over is one thing, but beating the shit of of them is another.

This website tries to give some information on why what happened happened. 

http://www.koalamask.com/2015/02/23/yoshikoact-yasukawa-stardom-shoot-rumours-and-opinion/

As in the original post, it seemed that Yoshiko was just jealous of Yasukawa and did not want to drop the title to her.

This website tries to give some information on why what happened happened. 

http://www.koalamask.com/2015/02/23/yoshikoact-yasukawa-stardom-shoot-rumours-and-opinion/

As in the original post, it seemed that Yoshiko was just jealous of Yasukawa and did not want to drop the title to her.

Yoshiko initially retired after the incident, believed to be politically motivated due to her actions. She has subsequently returned to wrestling. 

Yasukawa, who had previously had an operation on her eye and reportedly suffered a fractured cheek, nasal and orbital bone in the match, has had to retire due to her injuries.

Archived