Wrestlers sabotaging matches

Egg Shen

Hogan vs Rock was a massive sabotage job. Can see Rock fizzing throughout at hogans baby face tactics. Austin was wise saying no to that match

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hogan vs Rock was a massive sabotage job. Can see Rock fizzing throughout at hogans baby face tactics. Austin was wise saying no to that match

Yep, and therefore ended up in that infinitely more memorable match against Scott Hall instead.

Come on man, that match pushed Rock onto another level- it was that non-Austin legend match that he needed to cement him as an all-time great.

• Paid Members

Maybe not necessarily sabotaging the whole match, but racist Triple H did a bloody tremendous job making "one of them" Booker T look every bit the usless tit when he took forever covering him after one Pedigree. No even allowing him to get the customary finisher kick out at Wrestlemania.

It may not have been intentional, but Triple H thinking he's Ric Flair v Scott Steiner did no favours for dear old Papa Pump and his main event run.

• Paid Members

I can see why Sasuke's was pissed off with Dirt Bike Kid after that. The match starts and Dirt Bike just hits move after move. No real cohesion behind it, just high spot after high spot like he's playing WWE 2k16 or whatever. I'd be a bit narked too. Was it too much? Probably but it's wrestling so apparently logic doesn't work. People have gotten worse for less, I suppose.

Sasuke was pissed at him before the first move. It was supposed to be a masked tournament and Sasuke gave DBK the mask he was to wear himself.

DBK takes the mask off when he gets to the ring and it all goes to shit from there.

• Paid Members

I can see why Sasuke's was pissed off with Dirt Bike Kid after that. The match starts and Dirt Bike just hits move after move. No real cohesion behind it, just high spot after high spot like he's playing WWE 2k16 or whatever. I'd be a bit narked too. Was it too much? Probably but it's wrestling so apparently logic doesn't work. People have gotten worse for less, I suppose.

Huh? One professional wrestler - respected global star no less - disagreed with what the other professional in the ring was doing in their worked match and decided to beat the shit out of him? "Probably?" "People have gotten worse for less"?

I think you're being far too nice. The very nature of the sport determines that you entrust your safety - your life, really - to the guy you're in the ring with. Sasuke violated that. I thought it was deplorable, regardless of how pissed he was with DBK trying to get some shit in.

Hogan was always going to turn after the match, wasn't he? I don't think he sabotaged that match, he made that match even better.

He went off script to suit his own means, took cheers from one of top two figureheads in company when he was meant to be playing heel. Might have made for a better spectacle, but he sabotaged the Rock getting the babyface reaction he should have been, especially after all hogan had did to him in build up,

• Paid Members

The crowd (bearing in mind Toronto is a pro-Hogan crowd) got behind him not because of his blue eye antics. They were cheering like fuck when Hogan was biting, back-raking and whipping The Rock with his belt behind the refs back! The boos for Rock had been coming, and then you stick him in with the first PPV match for 9 years or so for the most popular WWE star of all time. It was always going to go that way, certainly not a sabotage on Hogan's part.

Plus, the partisan crowd added immensely to the match, seeing Rock getting more and more frustrated with them as the match progressed.

Hogan couldn't have done a thing to turn the crowd against him that night.

The cheers started from the first lock up, when hogan over powered Rock, and went through his babyface poses. He could have soiled doing them and at least tried to stay heel. Instead he acted in his own self interest to be cheered over his opponent. We can agree to disagree on that one I think, save clogging thread up further.

• Moderators

It was in Toronto. Hogan was always over like rover in Toronto. Look at the Nitro in early 99 when he's playing heel there and is getting the most cheers of the show.

Also, before the match in a backstage segment, Hogan let the nWo know he was going to do it on his own, hinting at a babyface turn, and of course after the match there's the handshake and Outsiders attack. It all adds up that Hogan's style of wrestling in that match was booked as such and not sabotage at all.

• Paid Members

Whilst of course this needs to be taken with a Himalayas-worth of salt because of the source material, in Hogan's 2002 WWE book (he might have others, I dunno), he also said that Vince asked him if he'd brought any red 'n' yellow gear with him that weekend because the plan was to send him out as the Hulkster of old from the get-go.

As he didn't, Hogan got in touch with a mate who went to his house and dug some out then had it couriered overnight to Toronto. By the time it had arrived, plans had changed and they were still going to go ahead with a face turn, but save the colour change for a bonus pop at a later date.

But yeah - same book where he's the one who tells Vince his dad's dying, he slams the 700lb Andre who died just weeks later etc. etc. so y'know.

Fucking hell, her eye socket.

Does that shit go on regular in Japanese women's wrestling? I remember seeing that GAEA girls where that Meiko Satasomething woman kicked the shit out of someone too. Are they isolated incidents?

• Paid Members

The cheers started from the first lock up, when hogan over powered Rock, and went through his babyface poses. He could have soiled doing them and at least tried to stay heel. Instead he acted in his own self interest to be cheered over his opponent. We can agree to disagree on that one I think, save clogging thread up further.

I think there's always going to be a clash between those who started watching in the attitude era and those who were there in the late 80's/early 90's. To the newbies, the Rock was "their guy" and the nWo were invaders to the product they knew. But for the rest, it was simply a case of Hulk returning home, and he was always going to be cheered. 

I marked out more for that match than anything in the last 20 years. But as Butch said, Toronto is a pretty loyal city and they were always going to cheer him.

I watched all of that stuff in 2002. The novelty of Hogan back created a brief wave of MASSIVE Hogan nostalgia and reaction I don't think any comeback ever has or will!

Watching that live on TV at about 2am the hairs on my neck were standing up more than any match before or since. That night Hogan could have comedown, raped Rocky, beat the pope with a rubber hose, made anti-semetic remarks and killed a box of puppies and they'd Still have cheered him!

Archived