Wrestlers sabotaging matches

Egg Shen

The only one I can really think of is the Michaels/Hogan SummerSlam. I personally loved it but I know it didn't go to the heights that it should have given it was a fairly big dream match for me as a Michaels fan.

I can't think of any other time but then I suppose we wouldn't know unless the wrestlers told us. I don't see why anyone would sabotage a match intentionally. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall Tensai sandbagging Ryback when he went for Shell Shocked on an episode of Raw. This was around the time that he stepped up against CM Punk - and it made him look like a right chump.

IIRC, they had done the same match on Smackdown the week before, probably to see if he could do it and then edit it out if not, but he was able to do it fine. Of course, cue the live cameras on Raw...

I recall Tensai sandbagging Ryback when he went for Shell Shocked on an episode of Raw. This was around the time that he stepped up against CM Punk - and it made him look like a right chump.

I don't see how two people failing to complete a spot means that one of them purposely decided to stop co-operating? Why would Albert, the mid card nobody, decide to ruin a match with the guy the company is pushing into main events? He's just a fat useless mess and Ryback was a clumsy goon back then as well.

• Paid Members

One could argue the famed Regal/Goldberg match was

One would be wrong, however.

Neither tried to sabotage the match. Regal tried to get Goldberg to do some tech stuff, thinking it would add another string to his bow and make him look good.

Goldberg wasn't used that sort of match and apart from the odd move (like the rolling leg lock) ended up flapping about like a fish.

• Paid Members

Read a piece once about Mark Lewin and Bruiser Brody being paid to help kill off the outlaw Texas All Star promotion in the mid 80s, allowing Fritz Von Erich to take over the area. They built up a big match, and then Brodie slapped on a nerve hold and they both barked their weird battle cries at the crowd for 40 minutes.

The first Cena vs Brock match when the Beast returned. Cena was meant to act so badly beat up at the end that he needed to be stretchered out. Instead he went into business for himself, acted fresh as a daisy  and even cut an impromptuan promo. Cena really does have a history of being a self-serving prick when things have been booked strongly against him (see: the earlier mentioned Nexus sabotage for what I'd say is his worst example).

• Paid Members

One could argue the famed Regal/Goldberg match was

One would be wrong, however.

Neither tried to sabotage the match. Regal tried to get Goldberg to do some tech stuff, thinking it would add another string to his bow and make him look good.

Goldberg wasn't used that sort of match and apart from the odd move (like the rolling leg lock) ended up flapping about like a fish.

I thought it was a great little match. Really technical bout. Regal did some job in that match.

• Paid Members

I think it's been rubbished since but I remember the talk at the time being that Bob Holly was sandbagging on taking the powerbomb when Brock Lesnar broke his neck.

I don't buy that Razor deliberately had shit matches with Douglas. It's always struck me that Scott Hall was the type who'd be really bothered by having a bad match. Even if he absolutely hated Douglas, I doubt he'd purposely go out there to have a crappy match because it reflects badly on both of them. I think that was just a case of Douglas making himself the victim because he wasn't as good as he was cracked up to be. I think the only time I've enjoyed Douglas was when he was tagging with Steamboat in WCW in 1993. Even his TV title run in ECW didn't do much for me.

Archived