Wrestlers sabotaging matches

Egg Shen

On 11/11/2016 at 12:15 AM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

There was a genuine problem with them at the time, stemming from Jericho telling RVD to get more angry on promos and to "pretend I'm trying to fuck your wife" to which Van Dam was going to murder him over. They discussed this on Jericho's podcast. RVD had to sit in his car to cool down.

I remember reading that RVD said Jericho tried to hold him back during that timeframe.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Christi Jaynes/Rachael Ellering match from a few months back belongs in this thread. Between Rachael no-selling a ropewalk armdrag to Christi stopping walking during an Irish whip to the two of them just looking at each other for like a minute while the crowd yelled "WHAT'S GOING ON?", the match was so embarassingly awkward it was like Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais had written it deliberately for the effect. 

On 10/25/2017 at 7:12 PM, NoUseforaUsername said:

Shawn Michaels deliberately botched Diesel's powerbomb at WM 95.

Razor Ramon gave Dean Douglas nothing in the Raw match after Michaels forfeited the title.

JBL supposedly sandbagged Batista at GAB 05, but I couldn't see how when I watched it. It seemed like a combination of a clash of styles and lack of plunder to me.

Not true. I was at that Wrestlemania and I spoke with Diesel the very next morning (staying in same hotel) and he said it was the first time he and Shawn had ever faced each other and he had not allowed for Shawn being so light at the time and was a bit over eager/excited and just jerked him up way too hard and that caused the extra rotation. Purely his fault he said and just one of those things.

47 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

Nash has said on at least two shoot interviews that Shawn deliberately sabotaged the powerbomb and tried to blow him up during that match so he would look bad and Vince would start to favour Shawn.

Fair enough, he must have changed his tune on it then.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

Nash has said on at least two shoot interviews that Shawn deliberately sabotaged the powerbomb and tried to blow him up during that match so he would look bad and Vince would start to favour Shawn.

That's a pretty dick move to do that to your best friend, even for someone of Shawn's reputation at the time.

• Paid Members
On 19/08/2016 at 9:55 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

Has anyone ever had criminal charges brought upon them for using the charade of a pro wrestling match to deliberately assault the actor playing the part of their opponent?

Should have been the case in the Mike Levy incident if Levy wasn't such a mark for it all.

20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

? elaborate...

The match was largely technical where Brookside outwrestled Malenko and made him look like a fool. You can see Malenko is legit annoyed.

Internet legend says Brookisde had issues with how people used to say Malenko was a technical master, the match essentially was the reason WCW dropped Brookside.

Watch the match, I belive its kicking around on Youtube/Daily Motion I believe

• Paid Members

Is that how it went? I don't think I've ever seen the match, but I seem to recall almost the exact opposite story - Brookside looking like shit and just being plain uncooperative with Malenko, rather than playing Regal to his Goldberg.

21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Is that how it went? I don't think I've ever seen the match, but I seem to recall almost the exact opposite story - Brookside looking like shit and just being plain uncooperative with Malenko, rather than playing Regal to his Goldberg.

'Uncooperative' I'll agree, he was tieing Malenko in knots

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I can't speak about Brookside/Malenko, but I sought out the Regal/Goldberg match on YouTube and it was clear to me, at least, that Regal was being unprofessional and trying to make Goldberg look bad.

By all means, if they told him to go out there and make yourself and Goldberg look like complete arses, then mission accomplished.

Always thought Regal got a pass on that one because of who he is.

Regal denied it passive-aggressively, but he's on record as being in a permanent drug haze during this time so his memories of it probably aren't as lucid as Goldberg's; he's supposed to have nutted Van Hammer at DDP's party because of comments Van Hammer made to somebody else about foreign wrestlers, so he obviously takes himself seriously enough to go off the reservation during a scripted match.

• Paid Members

I agree that Regal was being unprofessional - my point was more that, in that instance, Regal made an example of Goldberg, and made a point of outwrestling him, for whatever reason. I didn't think that was the case in the Brookside/Malenko match; this is the first time I've heard it said that Brookside was attempting to "school" Malenko; while it's in the hazy recesses of my memory, I vaguely recalled hearing that the match was more a case of Brookside struggling to work Malenko's style, or being consciously uncooperative, rather than making an example of him.

IIRC, it's even mentioned in the Shitarse Fifty that Brookside was just a bit rubbish in that match, rather than being the superior worker taking Malenko to task.

Archived