Wrestlers sabotaging matches

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I never understood why Jericho held such hard feelings towards Goldberg over that.

Goldberg was alleged to have used the phrase "I don't do comedy matches" when refusing to work with Jericho.

Also, when Jericho - admittedly wound up by Nash - confronted Goldberg in WWE, it was Goldberg that decided to make it physical instead of just answering him.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Goldberg also, in an interview last year, said that he would gladly tear Triple H's head off, and that he would pay money to be in an MMA or kick-boxing fight with William Regal. He's definitely a guy who bought too heavily into his own gimmick.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I never understood why Jericho held such hard feelings towards Goldberg over that.

Goldberg had contracted time off during that period which would have precluded him working a program with Jericho.

He also had the cachet, if not the creative control, to agree to working with him.

Put yourself in Goldberg's shoes. Savage, Hogan, Flair and Sting weren't working with Jericho; Jericho was firmly in the midcard and had no experience working with bonafide main event talent, so why would Goldberg be enamoured with his creative pitch?

It's alright for Jericho to say it was a win win situation for all parties, but Goldberg clearly didn't feel that way. It's not like Jericho pitched this purely to put over Goldberg out of the goodness of his heart, he was doing it to try and leverage his own position in the company.

Sure, and if you put yourself in Goldberg's shoes and look back at the Regal incident, then you can see it as a frustrated veteran trying to make himself look good at the expense of a naive rookie Superstar. That was my point. The Jericho thing is another example of Goldberg taking himself too seriously. If he thought Jericho was beneath him, when he was over as fuck, then god knows what he must've been thinking of Regal.

And, yes, it was a win/win situation. Jericho might not have been a *Top Guy* at that point but a match against him would've had a lot more interest than some of the matches Goldberg did have during his title run. At the very least it would've been a solid match for Nitro at a time when they were burning through money matches at an incredible rate. Jericho was also more than good enough to make Goldberg look like an absolute monster, while helping himself in the process.

I can completely understand why Jericho hated Goldberg for dismissing it, and why it was one of the reasons he jumped to the WWF when his contract expired. It's the same reason I understand Austin's hatred of Hogan, and others hating Austin for similar reasons. If you're a talented guy, trying to break through to the next level and someone shoots you down what you believe is a money making idea then of course you are going to resent them.

I wonder if Christian resents Jericho for going to creative and pitching the addition of himself to Christian's feud with Cena in 2005 because Christian was "too inexperienced to carry his end of a feud of such magnitude".

RVD, too, had problems with Jericho when he was coming through.

Both guys in direct competition with Jericho.

Jericho goes into great detail in his books about how he has a special relationship with Vince, and is deeply involved in his own creative, so his position on 1998 Goldberg is kinda strange to me.

And after reading about how Jericho anointed himself "locker room leader" and got into stupid fights with Sin Cara and Brock Lesnar, the latter of which was none of his business, I struggle to think of anyone who's a bigger David Brent.

Did Goldberg say that about tearing HHH's head off? 

I thought Goldberg and HHH's relationship had thawed long ago; I remember him talking about "Paul" in complimentary terms in that book, can't remember the name, that had Big Show and Rey Mysterio on the cover.

I know Goldberg made a fool of himself calling out HHH at a convention in the WCW days, but I had the impression that was a work on his part and HHH didn't reciprocate. Could be wrong.

Archived