UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As brilliant as he was last night, Conor needs to lose those fucking glasses he keeps wearing at the press conferences. They make him look like Jimmy Hill.

Yeah, my first thought when I seen him was "have you mugged Jim Cornette"

• Paid Members

Didn't heed the warnings on here that the main event might start before 5pm. Caught half of the 2nd round and then the rest of the fight live. Caught up with rounds 1 and 2 last night.

Clearly a win for Mcgregor. I scored 2, 3 and 5 for Diaz at first. When you see the first round and the first half of the second though, that becomes, 1, 2 and 4 for Mcgregor pretty clearly.

Watching it back the "you're dominating the clinch every time" advice from Kavanagh isn't as mental as it seemed live either. I wouldn't say it looked comfortable but it actually seemed to work as part of their game plan. Mcgregor knew there was a good chance he'd be in trouble at some point in the fight and he actually managed to use the clinch and his take down defense to weather that and hold off most of any further damage. It was the sort of position he was in in the first fight when he scrambled for the take-down that eventually brought the end of the fight.

• Paid Members

I found Rogan a little bit annoying last night. He was right that McGregor was tiring but fuck me he beat that subject to a pulp. Even before Conor looked particularly tired he was saying he was slowing down, breathing heavy etc and then every time Nate landed anything he was declaring Conor 'rocked' or 'in trouble'. Even just from the glancing blows which Conor didn't look that bothered by, Rogan was saying he was wobbled by them as well. Once he gets on a certain train of thought he's almost tunnel vision on it until something forces him to calm the fuck down. Conor regrouping in the 4th seemed to settle Rogan down a bit last night and he wasn't so bad after that, I thought.

He's been a lot worse in other fights. You can go all the way back to the Liddell vs Belfort fight in 2002. He was so pro Liddell in that fight he was more cheerleader than colour commentator. To be fair that was early days for him commentating but he was still doing similar years later. Like JDS vs Miocic where he was practically ignoring JDS' offence but almost flooding his pants every time Stipe threw anything.

I agree with this. I thought he was trying to fit his narrative rather than calling the fight. Conor clearly did slow down and Diaz's "no fucks given" attitude kicked in but Conor was boxing smart, he was taking a lot of shots comfortably, defending takedowns and really giving as good as he got in the clinches. I thought it showed he'd learnt loads from the first fight but Rogan's narrative was that it was the same again.

Whoever said Goldberg pronouncing it 1-1 after two rounds when Conor had dominated 4/5 of it was wrong is spot on. It's a good job the judges don't just go on the last 30 seconds of each round like in the Olympic Boxing.

• Paid Members

To continue from Rick and Wand, I re-watched the fight last night and when I stripped away the near panic attack I was having live, and trying to ignore Rogan's overplaying of Mcgregor's fatigue, the fight really is clearly Mcgregor's. 

Rounds 1,2 and 4 are as clear as day for Mcgregor. Some crazy fuckers seem to be giving Diaz round 2 for the late 30 second flurry but even then, nothing major really landed. It was a case of Diaz swinging and hoping for the best. In that round you had Mcgregor just teeing off on Diaz's face and legs and landing the knock down. 

Then the apparent rounds that you give to Diaz, even in those rounds (3 and especially 5), Mcgregor was having a lot of success. Even with that last second sweep from Diaz, there's a case for Mcgregor winning round 5. 

As a performance I think it's one of Mcgregor's best as he went into that fight with so much pressure to deal with. He barely looked like he took a scratch either come the end of the fight. On top of that, when have you ever seen Nate being dropped that regularly in a fight? In fact, outside of fatigiue and pressure, I can't recall anything that put Mcgregor in serious danger. 

In regards to Rogan's possible bias of Diaz, I know he overemphasised the fatigue aspect of Mcgregor, and seemed to get excited when Diaz was on the ascendency, he wasn't as bad as I've seen him in the past. He did a good job pointing out when Mcgregor was picking out his shots, but I know for a fact that if it was Diaz dropping Mcgregor on 3 occasions, he would have been losing his shit. 

On a side note, we've yet to hear from David? I hope he hasn't gone AWOL after betting his life savings on Diaz.

On a side note, we've yet to hear from David? I hope he hasn't gone AWOL after betting his life savings on Diaz.

Aye. I was looking forward to his post. 

I'll have to watch round 2 back. That was the clinching round. The other 4 rounds were clear-cut in who won them. You probably have a point. Separated from the anxiety of the last 30 seconds - it's probable that McGregor won round 2. But during the moment, I had my doubts. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, fully agree with Lamby above.

Plus, I do think people are over-playing how bad McGregors cardio was in general. As Dominic Cruz said - he's not sure McGregor has a style that can go 5 rounds. Even when McGregor was landing on Diaz & picking his shots (beautifully in the first round, I might add) they were still hard shots - it's just that Diaz could take them. He would have knocked out Aldo or any other FW 10 times in the first 9 minutes of that fight - legit. You could see them in slow-mo at the end of the round - that wasn't Diaz just being tagged - he was being hit hard.

Plus, fighting someone as tall & long as Diaz also requires more movement in & out, and once you clinch with him the extra weight is seriously draining if you have underhooks on him are are carrying his weight - which is what Conor was doing when trying to avoid takedowns. Yes, Conor could have been better with cardio - but I think it was 70% a weight class & opponent issue, and 30% a cardio issue. He certainly improved on last time though, but there are only so many times you can throw shots that hard.

They are 1 weight class apart no matter how you look at it. Diaz fights at LW at his lightest, and McGregor FW. And both can fight 1 weight class up from that.

• Paid Members

I have to say I really didn't think Mcgregor would win but don't know how anyone could be that confident.

How freakish is Rumble? He must be pound for pound hardest puncher in MMA at the moment? Can't think of anyone I would rate above him.

It really makes DC's win over him all the more impressive

• Paid Members

Aye. I was looking forward to his post. 

yeh, where's he at??

if anyone here likes to soak up all the post-fight videos (like myself), i suggest subscribing to Submission Radio's youtube channel. It's an Aussie channel that takes a leaf out of Helwani's playbook with the post-fight show and interviews but they get good content and seem like knowledgable guys, worth a look.

PPV goes up on FP today as per new rules doesn't it? Gonna watch it back and turn on the McGregor corner audio out of interest. Not yet watched it back but I thought the questionable decision was whether round 3 was a 10-8? Thus making it a draw. My mind was McGregor won but from what I can recall, all be it at silly o'clock, a draw was entirely plausible in my mind to, knowing what the judges can be like.

Archived