UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

* Mike Perry has my attention, just a perfet example of a guy getting a chance and doing his utmost to make people take notice. He said himself post-fight that he'd either got everyone to either want to see him win or get his ass kicked. More fighters need to come in and try and cause a stir, Perry made more of a name for himself in one fight that some UFC fighters have done who are 10 fights into their stint. He's the new Phil Baroni.

Funny you compare him to Baroni because he reminded me of the NYBA as well.

First impressions are that he's a meathead prick though. I get what you're saying but I think I'll definitely fall on the 'want to see him get his arse kicked' side of things.

• Paid Members

Definitely not. Better than indifference. There's already way too many forgettable prelimers in the UFC. Some have been there years and I struggle to remember them when their names pop up on a card.

I liked Baroni though. He was a twat but he had a certain goofy charm for me. And a lot of my early MMA memories involve him. I vividly remember being sat there in shock seeing him destroy Dave Menne and his 2 fights with Matt Lindland (in fact, I loved their feud full stop) and his first fight with Minowa in Pride are brilliant as well.

Yeah, but Conors face is like the face you pull when you've stubbed your toe twice in one day. Just utter pity for himself. The poor sods thinking 'I've broken my foot, I'm in a pair of white pants that I can't guarantee are free of skidders, and I've got a fresh Stockton headache.. Please leave me alone'.

That documentary they made about AKA showed that Baroni was a decent guy beneath it all. I suspect that some of his bravado was for show. It worked to a degree. His fight with Frank Shamrock in 2007 was much bigger than it had any right to be. They spent over 2 years building it up online.

Can anyone answer me why the UFC main eventers are paid quite poorly compared to boxers? I read somewhere that Mcgregor got about £3 million for that fight? How much do UFC PPV's cost in America? I imagine around $50 so with the PPV revenue for the fight being around 50million, then you have overseas TV money, advertising etc.....why is Mcgregor, their biggest star only getting £3million and Diaz £2killion or so when they headlined?

Mayweathers last fight v Andre Berto is rumoured to have done about 600k buys. Mayweather still got £30 million and Berto more than Mcgregor, i read he got about £6million.

I know some figures can be exagerated but not to this extent.

reports coming out that the show has done between 1.2-1.5 million buys.

I think we can safely say that McGregor is the biggest PPV draw in UFC history. 

He's surpassed Lesnar with this run of strong buyrates. GSP still has him on longevity, but off his own back, he never did buyrates over the million mark. His equivalent to the Nate Diaz fights was probably his second fight with Koscheck, which did 800k buys.

GSP is still the greatest fighter ever in my book, and I have a lot of time for him as a person. However, McGregor is the more captivating fighter. Not just in terms of showmanship and hype. McGregor's fights are much more exciting. Even the pre-Jackson version of GSP wasn't as fun to watch as McGregor is now. McGregor's fights are more of a spectacle as well. The stars come out in their droves, which adds to the big-fight atmosphere. The crowds tend to be more rabid as well. 

He's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but McGregor is one of the best things to ever happen to the UFC. Without him, it's possible that MMA would be stuck in a recession of sorts. 

Archived