UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Love Dave's little dig at Conor running, i knew he wouldn't just take it on the chin.

I just never had McGregor down as the type of guy who would fight with such a gameplan. He's always been a fighter who's right there, ready to trade and win the battle. 

Haha! You wind up merchant.  :cool:

Behave David. You're better than that. 

There's nothing there that isn't true. He did turn his back, he did jog away. Numerous times.

He went into the fight knowing he couldn't get the stoppage, so he fought a tactical fight that involved a bit of running.

So he got the points win, he made his big money, he got the PPV buys and all that jazz. But he didn't really engage Diaz in a fight, which was a bit of anti-climax really. For me, anyway.

I actually had more respect for him after he lost the first fight simply because he went out and took part in a barnburner of a fight. It was excellent, two guys giving it all they had.

This time? Not so much.

• Paid Members

all wrong for him, you can't let it go can yout Dave? Conor won 3 out out of 5 rounds, if he was all wrong for him he wouldn't have won the fight, simple as. Conor fought a bigger man, dropped him 3 times, didn't appear hurt himself throughout the fight and won the final round where you would think Diaz would dominate.

If McGregor's 'running' was an attempt to avoid exchanging, what would you call Nate Diaz' 7 takedown attempts? (6 of which failed).

How did you score the fight Dave?

• Paid Members

I actually had more respect for him after he lost the first fight simply because he went out and took part in a barnburner of a fight. It was excellent, two guys giving it all they had.

This time? Not so much.

what? it's widely been considered the best MMA fight of the year. Both guys left it all in there again, are you implying that once McGregor found himself cornered he was meant to stand there and allow Diaz to tee off on him? What else would you want McGregor to do? he found himself in that situation in the first fight, McGregor shot a takedown and we all know what happened. McGregor made the adjustment needed to win the fight.

Dave, for someone who knows a fair bit about the sport of MMA, you are talking utter shite.

There's nothing there that isn't true. He did turn his back, he did jog away. Numerous times.

He went into the fight knowing he couldn't get the stoppage, so he fought a tactical fight that involved a bit of running.

So he got the points win, he made his big money, he got the PPV buys and all that jazz. But he didn't really engage Diaz in a fight, which was a bit of anti-climax really. For me, anyway.

This time? Not so much.

Come on David.

You've championed the more strategic and methodical fighters in the past on this forum. You've also sneered at fighters such as Leonard Garcia - who always went out and gave "it all they had". I know this because I agreed with you on the latter. 

McGregor was in a fair bit of trouble at times during the fight. As any fighter would do, he did what he needed to survive. 

In case you can't read, David praised McGregor for fighting the smart fight and getting the win. All he is saying is he wanted to see a

Tear up and never did, so that is why he is personally disappointed. He is a wind up merchant because you guys look for things to be wound up about.

• Paid Members

In case you can't read, David praised McGregor for fighting the smart fight and getting the win. All he is saying is he wanted to see a

Tear up and never did, so that is why he is personally disappointed. He is a wind up merchant because you guys look for things to be wound up about.

In all honesty Keith, he said he had a smart game plan, but there was little to no praise. That's his choice though.

I understood David's post perfectly. However, it goes against previous comments he has made on this forum.  If there's a nuance to his argument that I'm missing - then he can fill me on it. 

I'm getting that he was utterly convinced McGregor had no chance, but acknowledged he had a perfect plan for victory and stuck to it. He was hoping for a barn burner and was personally disappointed he didn't get one. That's my take on it.

I'm getting that he was utterly convinced McGregor had no chance, but acknowledged he had a perfect plan for victory and stuck to it. He was hoping for a barn burner and was personally disappointed he didn't get one. That's my take on it.

That's not what I'm questioning him on. 

It's the "respect" line that I'm curious about. He's always been one to admire fighters who fight smart - rather than just throw caution to the wind. 

Archived