UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah they are. £3 Mill for McGregor and £2 for Diaz are just the guaranteed purses, if for example this fight didn't sell any PPV which they get a cut of percentage wise, that'll add a ton on as this has done monster numbers again for the UFC, plus I'd imagine they both received a further 50 grand for a FOTN bonus.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Can anyone answer me why the UFC main eventers are paid quite poorly compared to boxers? I read somewhere that Mcgregor got about £3 million for that fight? How much do UFC PPV's cost in America? I imagine around $50 so with the PPV revenue for the fight being around 50million, then you have overseas TV money, advertising etc.....why is Mcgregor, their biggest star only getting £3million and Diaz £2killion or so when they headlined?

Mayweathers last fight v Andre Berto is rumoured to have done about 600k buys. Mayweather still got £30 million and Berto more than Mcgregor, i read he got about £6million.

I know some figures can be exagerated but not to this extent.

As others have mentioned, that's disclosed pay. Mcgregor has ppv % in his contract so the bigger the ppv the more he gets.

Mcgregor will probably end up with probably 10 to 15m once he receives his % purse.

On top of that the ufc have always pushed for the brand to be bigger than the fighters. They also stack their cards with more bigger names and therefore there's more fingers in the pie of cash.

• Paid Members

McGregor and Diaz made silly money off that. Mind, Diaz, in particular renegotiated his deal for this fight twice, realising UFC wanted the fight so much Dana would let him slap him on the head.

You can still argue both men were underpaid though. UFC's business model isn't that far removed from the way WWE went about paying their talent when they did PPV.

• Paid Members

it isn't in all cases, it's the only the top few boxers who make the silly money.

Yeah, I think Mayweather skews a lot of peoples' perception on this. Mayweather makes astronomically crazy money, and whoever's fighting Mayweather gets a huge payday (although dwarved by Mayweather's paycheque, obvs) as the 'B side' as well. But Floyd's a one off. He's the highest paid prize fighter ever and one of the highest paid sports figures full stop.

I don't have facts and figures, obviously, but I bet if you did have access to that stuff there's not a huge difference in pay between the top boxers (Floyd aside) and the top UFC fighters. And in both sports you still have the vast majority making very modest paycheques and some pretty much just getting the breadcrumbs.

I think it's a bit of a misconception that boxers make way more money than UFC fighters. Take Mayweather out of it for a second, what does a guy like Canelo make, roughly, compared to McGregor? What does say,

Cotto or Golovkin make compared to Rousey or Anderson Silva? What does Khan pull in compared to Diaz or Hendo? Then what do the undercard guys make compared to UFC prelimers? Looking just at Floyd and his opponents pay gives a bit of a lopsided and distorted view of things IMO. You'd have to compare fighters up and down the cards to make it a fair comparison. I think you'd probably find the gap isn't as big as it's made out to be.

• Paid Members

Here's an example from the Canelo/Khan HBO card earlier this year which was one of the biggest boxing events of the year:

Canelo made a $3,500,000. Khan made $2,000,000.

David Lemieux $200,000

Glen Tapia $150,000

Mauricio Herrera $175,000

Frankie Gomez $90,000

Curtis Stevens $65,000

Patrick Teixeira $50,000

those are the flat rates before you factor in PPV and however else fighters make money. There's not huge differences in the numbers between the UFC and Boxing. Bottom line is though that if you are someone who can sell PPV's and generate money you will make big money.

The thing is Khan/Canelo is rumoured to have done less than 500k buys. But suppose the undercard fighters were probably paid not much in comparision. I suppose you will never find out the true breakdown of the salaries. In terms of consistant PPV numbers, you would have to say UFC is bigger than boxing in America now i guess.

• Paid Members

For anyone that has Fight Pass, UFC 202 is on there now, well ahead of the 30 days after broadcast that they usually go with.

Head to the Fight Library>UFC>UFC Relays then it's listed as UFC 202 UK/Ireland

It's a new deal that came with BT sport deal. They are all available 48 hrs after broadcast.

Archived