McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

McG's assessment of the fight with Khabib:

Round 1’s mine. Out struck 3-1. Elbow,knees,clatters! He held on. 2s his but I land multiple knees. One from standing after the overhand, and one from bottom into the eye socket at kimura attempt. Not a scratch end of round also. I won round 3, and 4 until the trip.

Dude has been in lockdown too long or something.

• Paid Members

I used to think McGregor was being clever and just winding folk up / feeding that part of his fanbase that will believe him, but it's most definitely just him being delusional, sad and high. Like Tony Montana in his mansion before his sister gets her jubblies out.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

His whole insisting on every fight lately at 170lbs yet declaring himself as an active lightweight is driving me absolutely fucking spare.
And more than it should be, because really, it doesn't  have any bearing on my life at all, does it? But I also let people drinking coffee or tea out of a glass annoy me and interfere with my day, so here we are.
Imagine he actually jumped to 170 full time (if ever there's a 'full time' for the lad anymore). He'd be absolutely murdered in there by a fair amount in that division.
I just can't understand the reasoning in his brain, other than "Grand and handy" and "entitlement".

46 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I used to think McGregor was being clever and just winding folk up / feeding that part of his fanbase that will believe him, but it's most definitely just him being delusional, sad and high. Like Tony Montana in his mansion before his sister gets her jubblies out.

If you want a real laugh, look at the actual responses on Twitter:

• Paid Members

“Motivated Conor”. It’s funny because before the fight there was no talk of lack of motivation and if anything his fans were all saying Khabib was shitting himself after that cringefest of a press conference where Conor was clearly sniffed up and making even more of an arse of himself than usual. All you were hearing was how Conor was ‘in his head’ and Khabib was going to get sparked. After he gets thoroughly battered though, it’s because he wasn’t motivated. OK.

Also, Conor bragging about landing that knee from the “bottom into the eye socket”?

422FFB6B-1EAD-463E-AD15-A7CA614E3B27.gif

That’s an illegal blow. Not to mention repeatedly putting his manky little toes in the fence, grabbing the fence, digging his fingers into Khabib’s throat (as he’s admitted/bragged about before) and grabbing Khabib’s gloves and shorts.

0BD63BC5-9ADC-4B7A-91EA-627C592F3779.gif

All that cheating and he still got fucking dominated.

It’s actually pretty sad and pathetic. It’s been 2 years since that fight, almost to the day, and he’s still having to come up with shite like this so he can sleep at night. Not to mention claiming he had a broken foot (he didn’t) and denying he said “it’s only business” (he did). And even if he was winning the fight 3-0 at the time of the stoppage (he fucking wasn’t), what does it matter? He still tapped and lost the fight. Him and his legion of delusional worshippers like to act like he somehow came out on top of the whole Khabib saga and lost the battle but won the war. But he handled the loss terribly. He disappeared for ages after that, never fought for over a year and the only times you’d hear about/from him were when he’d get messed up on whatever he was taking and tweet nonsense. Or more seriously, the reports of sexual abuse, assault etc. He was already going off the rails before Khabib battered him, after that fight he went even more downhill and fast. It clearly eats away at him even now. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, David said:

McG's assessment of the fight with Khabib:

Dude has been in lockdown too long or something.

the fights on youtube, i may actually watch it and re-score it today, i havent seen it in full since the night it happened.

• Paid Members

Without even rewatching it I remember thinking Khabib won the first two rounds clearly. The third was close, could’ve been Conor’s. And then the forth is when the scorecards became redundant. It was as clear cut as can be. Conor’s just trying to repaint the narrative and his fans are either stupid or brainwashed/besotted enough to go along and parrot it. 

• Paid Members

Thing is that, given the sheer focus McGregor has shown in past in terms of improving his abilities and progressing his career, a rematch with Nurmagomedov a few fights down the line might not have been completely unreasonable, but the direction he's taken since then would suggest he's just not there mentally any more. Beating a checked-out Donald Cerrone means fuck-all now; sure, he may have beaten a motivated Cerrone too, but not by much, and certainly not in his current state.

• Moderators

Despite me reading and now commenting in this thread I find myself just being <partridge-shrug.gif> about McGregor these days. He's just not in contention for seemingly ANY title these days so all this grandstanding is just stupid. I find myself not caring at all whether he fights Poirier or not, and definitely not enough for him to come in and try and wreck existing cards in 2020 or beyond. I'm at the point where I'm ready for him just to fuck off for good. 

I used to be a huge mark for McGregor, adored his rise through the UFC and the fight with Aldo literally had me jumping out of bed, but like a lot of people on here, his antics and the stories behind it have made me feel tired when hearing and reading about him.

To the point where I was hoping for him to fight Masvidal and wanting Masvidal to knock him the fuck out. 

I suppose Conor will always talk shit and can still fall back on that "I got choked out rather than knocked out" excuse, but it must be wearing thin for even his die hard fans now right? 

• Paid Members

I don’t even think the ‘I got choked out not knocked out’ thing soothes him either though. A KO can be dismissed as a fluke. It’s usually bollocks but that’s what a fighter who gets knocked out can tell themselves. Chuck Liddell did it for years. “I just got caught”. Until he started ‘just getting caught’ every time he fought. You don’t really get submitted by fluke. The act of taking someone down, achieving and maintaining a dominant position and then securing a submission shits all over that ‘it was a fluke’ talk. A guy put you there and kept you there long enough to sink in a sub, you usually knew it was coming and you still couldn’t stop it. And you tapped. A knockout is something that happens to you. A submission is you being forced to admit defeat and either tap so he’ll let go or you sleep or let your shit break. That’s probably what gnaws away at Conor more than anything. He basically conceded defeat twice that night. He was not only caught on camera asking for mercy with the ‘it’s only business’ bollocks, he then had to tap and then sit there as Khabib’s 20 minute buildup of phlegm landed on him and he knew he could do fuck all about it. Yet somehow there’s still people out there who think he got some kind of moral victory in the whole thing and Khabib’s running scared. 

67B3B755-E6BA-431C-8468-9ADC1D09A6FF.jpeg

• Paid Members

Combat sports has a mental way of putting a spin on things at the top level. Its happened in the Loma/Lopez fight. There was disbelief when it had happened but once reports started surfacing that Loma had an injury going it was like it gave his fanbase the out there needed and order was restored for them.

Its a strange game.

I had McGregor 2-1 up going into the 4th. I scored round 1 to McGregor. Conor showed the same fighting spirit that Bas Rutten showed against Kevin Randleman all those years ago. I'll just about give Khabib round 2, based on that lucky knockdown he scored. Round 3 was a clear McGregor round. 

I think McGregor would have won the final round had he survived Khabib's 4th round onslaught and grinded out a narrow decision win.