WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Looks lovely but you lost me at arrow keys.

Yup. Bloody muscle memory.

In other news the Dead Cells beta is getting another update at the start of next month - new level, more sprites and a wall-jump mechanic :)

Just ran into the "ready to install library has vanished" problem on my Xbox One. Luckily I can still download my games through the store.

The browser and EA Access are the main things stopping me from sacking the piece of shit off.

EDIT

Oh and Mass Effect Andromeda is up on EA Access for anyone interested.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

Has anyone got the Battlefront 2 beta? I want to know just how bad the micro transactions issue is. 

Im begrudgingly fine with games companies putting DLC into games because of the increase in development costs but day1 locking of content unless you buy a premium version or the multiplayer being unbalanced unless you pay for extra content has put me right off. 

Has anyone seen the gameplay trailer for Sonic Forces, it seems Sega still doesn’t understand their audience. Sonic Mania was praised as it’s what Sonic Fans wanted, Sonic Force is everything fans don’t want, seems like another Sonic Hero’s game so far. 

Crying shame

• Paid Members

When you think about it, they must be looking at Nintendo with massive green envious eyes, seeing as how Mario seamlessly made that transition through 3D and beyond, whilst still giving fans that slice of 2D sidescroll as well. They must think that eventually they'll make a Sonic series beyond sidescroll that will blow people away. I can't blame them for giving it a go.

39 minutes ago, jasmith85 said:

Has anyone seen the gameplay trailer for Sonic Forces, it seems Sega still doesn’t understand their audience. Sonic Mania was praised as it’s what Sonic Fans wanted, Sonic Force is everything fans don’t want, seems like another Sonic Hero’s game so far. 

Crying shame

If they gave Sonic fans what they wanted it'd be a beastiality simulator.

I enjoyed Forces at EGX too, it feels like a cross between Colours, Generations and Heroes which I have no problem with.

• Paid Members

I think part of the problem with Sonic is that he was intended to be "cool". And nothing ages quicker than what adults think kids will find cool. Mario works because he doesn't have much of a personality to speak of, so can be seamlessly slotted into any game format without any real effort to justify it.

Also, because the games are just better.

Do the 3D Sonic games sell particularly well? Maybe they just threw out Sonic Mania in the hope that it would keep us quiet and let them get back to churning out the 3D shit.

• Paid Members

I haven't played it, but I was enjoying  laughing at all the clips people were posting online of horrible/hilarious animation glitches. Looks like the same old shite, animation and character models miles behind the accepted standard of modern games.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Do the 3D Sonic games sell particularly well? Maybe they just threw out Sonic Mania in the hope that it would keep us quiet and let them get back to churning out the 3D shit.

I'll be honest pat, you're viewing it from the wrong angle. Sonic is fucking huge for youngsters still. The problem is it hasn't stood the test of time with adults who played it back then, where as Mario has. 

3D sonic games have had a lot of mixed reception, but here's a break down of sales for example, which are all far more than I would have expected.

Shadow sonic 2005 multi platform - 1.59 million units. Not taking in to account sales accumulated in one of those compilation type games.

Sonic Unleashed 2008 multi platform -  2.45 million units.

Sonic generations 2011 multi platform - 1.85 million units

The one thing Sonic has nailed the female characters who I have no idea about, but 3 of my nieces and their friends do. The plush toys of these female characters have in turn lead to the game being bought, the old concept of knock toys out to sell the main product.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I'll be honest pat, you're viewing it from the wrong angle. Sonic is fucking huge for youngsters still. The problem is it hasn't stood the test of time with adults who played it back then, where as Mario has. 

That's what I was wondering, actually - are the 3D games selling well enough that there's actually no incentive to do things differently, and Sonic Mania just throwing us old blokes a bone in the hope that it'll keep us quiet? It sounds like that's the case.

The one thing Somic has nailed us the female characters who I have no idea about, but 3 of my nieces and their friends do. The plush toys of these female characters have in turn lead to the game being bought, the old concept of knock toys out to sell the main product.

That's interesting - I could name you one female character in Sonic, and I'd struggle to name more than two or three characters outside of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Dr Robotnik/Eggman but, yeah, it's not for us any more, is it?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

it's not for us any more, is it?

I think this is realistically the case. It's lost the charm it had, Mario hasn't as such. You could play a new Mario game and still get a particular vibe or buzz, which is something I didn't get from Sonic generations. It's essentially a new game/franchise for a younger generation, where as Mario adapted. That's how it feels to me anyway.