How do you view AJ Styles in WWE....so far?

LWOLeN

• Paid Members

Not to compare him to Dolph Ziggler, but he's like a good Dolph Ziggler. He says he's the best and he'll prove it, but then actually does that and gets to be a dick about it. Actually, scrap the Dolph thing, it's unfair on AJ.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ has been the best in-ring performer for the past 7 or 8 years for me and I never had any doubts about his ability to perform in that respect in the WWE. I have however been completely blown away by his incredible improvements in his promos and character work of late. The man truly is living up to his moniker right now.

• Paid Members

Right now, Styles working with just about anyone seems intriguing.

Imagine a few months of the current cocky, goofy, overbearing "New Face That Runs the Place" AJ actually 'running the place' as an untouchable WWE Champion before being confronted with 'monster babyface' Brock Lesnar (although they seem to be moving Brock towards a more obviously heel stance, despite there being little actual change in his act/demeanour)

Styles vs. Orton sounds interesting just for the fact that both came onto the (inter)national stage at roughly the same time, but they've never had any interaction.

Hell, Styles vs. Slater seems like it could be a good laugh, right now.

Basically, I still don't think the novelty of AJ Styles standing across the ring from "WWE guys" has worn off for me, and you can pretty much guarantee that the matches will be at very least better than average because of the form AJ is in.

I'd actually happily take Styles and Orton as Smackdowns WrestleMania main event, provided Orton keeps on a motivated face tear with that cheeky psycopath character that suits him right now. It won't look bad like with Roman Reigns up until recently if half the crowd are booing him either against heel AJ. Orton's way pass that. It'll seem a more natural let-the-crowd-pick and the kids and girls will always go for Orton.

He's had detractors but I've been in to him again recently, and he's crisp as cod batter in the ring. If Orton is up for it, him and AJ would tear the house down.

• Paid Members

Brock Lesnar needs to be nowhere near anyone of value unless he's staring at the lights for them. He's a fucking cretin.

Aye. I'm well sick of him now. What's crazy is that SummerSlam match with Cena was both the best match he's had and the worst. Because it got so over he hasnt stopped doing that formula since.

• Paid Members

Exactly. He doesn't have matches anymore, just extended squashes. They've really become a 'seen them once, seen them all' kind of affair. Shame, he's capable of having tremendous matches. His first run was full of them- from big feel matches like The Rock and Taker to technical showpieces with Angle and Benoit. It's incredible to think how inexperienced he was back then.

I miss that Brock.

• 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

The inevitable has happened- he's become just another guy on the roster, trading wins and losses in TV filler matches every week. Just like everyone else. He's still the best in-ring performer, but that alone doesn't make you special in WWE. SmackDown feels like one big mid-card show and he's the mid-card champion.

Archived