How do you view AJ Styles in WWE....so far?

LWOLeN

What was his answer to that. I've always remembered the question asked but never actually heard his response, and the footage was lost because of some bellend with some sort of scrambler

"Have you ever been out on the piss with Scott Hall?" needs to become the Wrestling Q&A equivalent of "How big is Batista's dick?"

He smiled and said he wasn't that matey with him, then starting stumbling around the stage and hamming it up and said this is how it would have gone.

Did lead to him not charging me for a pic though

AJ.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel bad for just ragging on his look on my work break now after all these lovely comments. I agree that my personal neuroses on his image aside he's been booked brilliant since his debut.

• Paid Members

We're sort of spoiled these days for all-action matches in WWE these days, but I thought his tag match on Monday was the best WWE telly match in months (maybe since The Shield were battling Team Hell No). I think the reason I liked it so much was because it had a bit of a story and led to a pay off, something very rare outside the main event. Also, the match didn't half highlight how superior AJ is to everybody else on the roster when it comes to selling.

I haven't seen Styles in a very long time but I'm still not sure what character they are trying to portray him as. Like what his is personality, why he is here etc. 

That being said his in-work has been good (this weeks Raw match was quality) as you would expect but do feel he will struggle not being a great talker/promo. His look is okay and comes across like a veteran I'm just not sure how fans relate to him if they haven't seen him before, he doesn't come across as a instant face you would warm too. 

• Paid Members

What I love about AJ's matches and what seems to set him apart a bit from the rest of the crowd is that between his big spots he's very believable. His kicks, punches and stomps all look like they hurt like fuck. He comes across like he's trying to hurt you and is desperate to win the match. Unlike someone like Ziggler who just seems confused as to what to do between big spots so just lies on the floor like he's been shot, even a few minutes in.

AJ doesn't have a track record for good promo's. His promo time in WWE has been limited so far, which is a good move. In all fairness, he isn't more worse on the mic when compared to Roman Reigns or Sheamus. 

For some reason he just comes across as likeable, hard working, and genuine. He's pitbull-like comparable to Mike Tyson, small in stature but with a lot of heart and intensity. He's a good striker/seller and shows a lot of charisma during his matches. I think that's why the fans have related to him so fast. He needs no gimmick, he's just a cool pro wrestler.

His theme song looks to be a good fit also.

I think it's a good job that he started off with a solid program. WWE usually blows their load way to fast with new stars.

For example: Neville has only been on the main roster for a year now. He started of red hot but has already worked and lost to probably 75% of the roster now. From John Cena to Kalisto..... He's never had a proper program with anyone. He's just another midcarder now. Let's hope this doesn't happen to AJ Styles.

• Paid Members

He's never had a proper program with anyone. He's just another midcarder now. Let's hope this doesn't happen to AJ Styles.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night. Other than a half-arsed feud with Stardust, Neville hasn't had a proper feud on telly since making the jump from NXT. He's pure filler.

How was Neville introduced again? I can't actually remember how, only when. Surely he would've started off in a feud but did he do anything at Extreme Rules? Even Tyler Breeze got on a PPV one-on-one match with Ziggler.

Neville's match with Owens on this weeks Raw was fantastic

• Paid Members

A.J. has been my favourite wrestler for most of the last 14 years. I've enjoyed what he's done in WWE so far and he's sold them a fuckload of t-shirts so far so its been win-win. I was highly critical when he lost clean on TV so soon after his debut (before his first PPV singles match for fuck's sake) as it made him look INSTANTLY "not special" / just another guy in midcard 50/50 Club, but if the means to an end is to compress the classic 6 month build of respectful adversaries-to-tag team partners-to-nasty split and revenge storyline into six weeks and then have him CONVINCINGLY and CLEANLY beat Jericho again at WrestleMania, so be it. I refuse to believe that they're paying him "A.J. money" to not try and make something special of him.

I was also mortified that they let the Styles Clash be kicked out of so soon at Fast Lane, but the more I think about it, the more they're likely trying to establish the Calf Killer as his main finisher so Jericho kicking out of the Clash en route to defeat to the Calf Killer makes perfect sense if they're going to phase the former out or keep it to very occasional use because (oopsie) a few necks have been broken.

So yeah. A couple of things I initially balked at can be excused or rationalized, so really I have no complaints about Styles in WWE so far. Except I think his music is shite.

How was Neville introduced again? I can't actually remember how, only when. Surely he would've started off in a feud but did he do anything at Extreme Rules? Even Tyler Breeze got on a PPV one-on-one match with Ziggler

Didn't he just come out and squash Bo on the post-Mania Raw?

Ah, it was Axel

Has anyone kicked out of a Red Arrow yet? They could maybe do something with that down the line

• Paid Members

AJ's music is brilliant. Best he's ever had, and he's had some good ones before. And one atrocious one, which sadly he's best associated with.

Well, one atrocious one with many variants. All of which were shite.

RE: Neville - the week after narrowly losing to Rollins, he lost narrowly to Cena in a US open challenge deal. Good showings in both, but shown as a nearly man early on.

Archived