How do you view AJ Styles in WWE....so far?

LWOLeN

I didn't mind the Clash being kicked out of as it's been his "secondary finisher" for a few years now, sort of like how the Angle Slam gets kicked out of quite a bit too. Also it was 6 time world champion Chris Jericho doing the kicking out as opposed to a Miz or Ziggler so it's sort of OK. In the same match Jericho sold the absolute fuck out of the Calf Killer (cutter?) and got it over like a mother fucker.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neville did have one "coming soon" video.  But it was shown about 30 minutes before he debuted.

Just on that thought, there's going to be quite a lot of Wrestlemania debuts this year.  Styles, Kalisto, Neville, Owens, Banks, Charlotte, Lynch, Zayn.

• Paid Members

I didn't mind the Clash being kicked out of as it's been his "secondary finisher" for a few years now, sort of like how the Angle Slam gets kicked out of quite a bit too.

That's bollocks. The Styles Clash has been his primary finisher forever. He won the vast majority of his biggest matches in New Japan with it. including both his IWGP title victories and all his successful defences. Ditto every appearance he's made for Rev:Pro over here as a New Japan guest. The Calf Killer and springboard 450 (for special occasions) have been moves he's very occasionally won with, but the Styles Clash has always been his finish.

Ah, it was Axel

Has anyone kicked out of a Red Arrow yet? They could maybe do something with that down the line

So this was a guy who was NXT champ for a while? I hadn't watched either for a while but the commentators sounded bored. They had no interest is this chap. Awful

I still can't get past how shit the name 'Adrian Neville' is. Unless there's some Everton fans in creative then I can only imagine that the only association an American would have with the name 'Neville' would be with that loser out of Harry Potter. At least rhyme it up with flying/dare devil or something.

• Paid Members

At least "Adrian Neville" makes sense as a "normal bloke's name" name. Losing his first name he sounds completely ridiculous being announced. Certain names work as "one name" names, not all do. Madonna. Cher. ..........Neville.

Yeah.

They're putting some effort in with Styles and it's working. Good on them.

Seeing him apparently want to be mates with lame bell end Jericho neuters his character pretty irreparably though, in my eyes. Imagine being such a tit that Jericho didn't want to be your mate.

I didn't mind the Clash being kicked out of as it's been his "secondary finisher" for a few years now, sort of like how the Angle Slam gets kicked out of quite a bit too.

That's bollocks. The Styles Clash has been his primary finisher forever. He won the vast majority of his biggest matches in New Japan with it. including both his IWGP title victories and all his successful defences. Ditto every appearance he's made for Rev:Pro over here as a New Japan guest. The Calf Killer and springboard 450 (for special occasions) have been moves he's very occasionally won with, but the Styles Clash has always been his finish.

Actually yeah you're probably right. "Secondary finisher" probably wasn't the right term but for me a "finisher" is a move nobody kicks out of, even in big match situations. In my eyes that move for AJ is the Spiral Tap and top rope (or is it technically middle rope?) Styles Clash. Though after checking the Styles Clash was really well protected in Japan so I'm more than happy to admit I'm wrong here.

It's been outstanding so far. He's the new big-money signing and they've slotted him in perfectly. It's anyone's guess where he is in six months though. On the full-time roster, he's beneath Cena, Reigns, Ambrose and Rollins. Three of those are babyfaces, and maybe Rollins too when he returns. It's WrestleMania season now. What are the chances of WWE putting effort into their fourth or fifth string guy by SummerSlam? Hopefully with AJ's wage, they will keep some focus on him.

• Paid Members

"Secondary finisher" probably wasn't the right term but for me a "finisher" is a move nobody kicks out of, even in big match situations.

That doesn't exist in WWE these days though. In big matches, everything gets kicked out of. When they started letting anyone kick out of the first Tombstone every year just because it was Mania, those days were over. The predictability of Bray Wyatt getting to kick out of the first Tombstone last year, for instance, was just sad for me. But yeah, there are no Fatalities in WWE any more in the big matches.

What bothered me initially with Jericho kicking out of the Styles Clash was that (a) it was only Fast Lane and (b) it was SO soon after his debut. No time to allow the move to get established as a big deal, thus hardly any impact of seeing someone kick out of it the first time. He'd won one match with it on telly. Utter rush job, just as pinning the fucker on TV was thrown out before he'd had chance to be established as worth beating. No patience.

But yeah, I've let go of kicking out of the Clash because of the logic, if they're binning it. Calf "Crusher" from hereon out, fine.

Ah, it was Axel

Has anyone kicked out of a Red Arrow yet? They could maybe do something with that down the line

So this was a guy who was NXT champ for a while? I hadn't watched either for a while but the commentators sounded bored. They had no interest is this chap. Awful

The commentary is so weird because Lesnar went mental on that Raw and took out Cole and JBL and a cameraman, leaving Saxton on his own

• Paid Members

AJ v Devitt was the big money feud that NJPW missed out on due to Devitt's contract ending, I can see WWE picking this up

Be nice if they could explain the history. Be horrible if it turned into one of those terrible TNA feuds where they fight over a stable they're not allowed to mention!

AJ's doing great. I mentioned recently that WWE just can't get guys who are seasoned and ready to go anymore. AJ's as close as they are going to get. He's got big time experience in Japan, he's got an act and ring work well honed in a similar environment, he's a name a lot of the fanbase know and he's still a good age. There aren't many guys on the planet who could walk straight onto Raw now with the WWE environment as it is so it's testament to him that he's been able to do it.

I'd echo the credit for Chris Jericho too. He's been a fucking eyesore for a long time but this little feud has not only introduced AJ to the whole audience in a great way but it's revitalised Jericho. Too many guys don't get what wrestling is about. Showing arse and doing business. Jericho does. He's put AJ over huge and given himself a new lease of life. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's not driving this.

From here, I'd protect AJ until the Royal Rumble. Keep him away from the top of the card but make sure he wins all of his feuds. Maybe have people asking when he gets his shot. If he stays over like he is, I'd go with him at the Rumble.

• Paid Members

At least "Adrian Neville" makes sense as a "normal bloke's name" name. Losing his first name he sounds completely ridiculous being announced. Certain names work as "one name" names, not all do. Madonna. Cher. ..........Neville.

Yeah.

I'm guessing they avoided calling him just "Adrian" to stay on Sly Stallone's good side?

Archived