How do you view AJ Styles in WWE....so far?

LWOLeN

3 years ago imagine thinking AJ Styles would bypass developmental and be on the main roster under his own name and making more money than he has in his life? Cool story.

I said exactly this would happen when he left TNA and everyone called me a nutter.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After last nights RAW the guy is absolutely superb at everything he does. When he was first brought in I was sure he'd never be given a run with the World Title, now I think it would be a travesty if he didn't get an opportunity to be "the guy".

After last nights RAW the guy is absolutely superb at everything he does. When he was first brought in I was sure he'd never be given a run with the World Title, now I think it would be a travesty if he didn't get an opportunity to be "the guy".

If they go with two world champions then, although it won't mean as much, he will definitely get a run with the Smackdown belt. Whatever show he's on will be the better show though. He's that good.

• Paid Members

I don't think it really matters. Styles is one of those rare blokes that's good enough on their own without a belt run.

Daz summed it up nicely in the Raw thread, that it's pleasing WWE seem to truly appreciate what they have in Styles, which is maybe the best in the world.

Styles breathes rare air.

3 years ago imagine thinking AJ Styles would bypass developmental and be on the main roster under his own name and making more money than he has in his life? Cool story.

I said exactly this would happen when he left TNA and everyone called me a nutter.

Then you were if you meant it happening at the time, there was no way in 2013 that he would've got the push he is getting now. His work in Japan and a lot has change in WWE to allow him to be way closer to the top than he'd have got before. Even the crowds at shows are different now to how they were in 2013.

Then you were if you meant it happening at the time, there was no way in 2013 that he would've got the push he is getting now. His work in Japan and a lot has change in WWE to allow him to be way closer to the top than he'd have got before. Even the crowds at shows are different now to how they were in 2013.

I don't think the work in Japan is as important as everyone says it is. He stepped his game up once getting away from TNA, it just happened to be in Japan. He could have done the same thing under the WWE umbrella. Crowds haven't changed that much. It's not like in 2013 nobody would have recognised him.

AJ got off to a great start because Jericho obviously wanted to work with him. People have wanted to work with AJ for ten years, it's the first thing ex-WWE guys used to say in every life after WWE interview. 2013 would have also had Daniel Bryan and Punk wanting to work with him. He'd have probably been put in multi-man matches against The Shield who were having excellent matches with everyone. Going head to head with those guys would have instantly gotten him over.

If AJ had came in after leaving TNA he wouldn't have been starting off at the bottom of the ladder. It may have gone quicker now as they are low on main event stars, but Styles would have always reached the top

AJ Styles is still main eventing the house shows against Roman Reigns. 

They are also doing triple threats now with Reigns vs AJ vs Rollings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOjQjcwMLVM 

I saw that over the weekend, Now THAT is a house show I'd go to, that's an attraction. Fucking charging top dollar for Reigns vs Sheamus on house show main events is a joke. If I saw that Triple Threat announced near to me it would actually sway my decision from not sure to "yep, gonna go".

• 3 weeks later...

it's marvellous. the first segment was brilliantly done, i can't remember the last time my heart sank to the extent it did for a heel turn, if ever. the second segment, though it was a contract signing which always have the potential to be cack...but if anything they surpassed the previous week. Cena was just on fucking fire that night and the Styles we are seeing and hearing on the stick looks a long way away from that slightly uncomfortable looking dude the night after the Rumble.

The match they had was pretty magic, my mouth was just agape for the ending part of the match before the ref bump with all those counters. Good finish in that it made us want, no, NEED to see more. 

This week's segment wasn't quite up to the spectacular level of everything else the two have touched but it was fine to help things along

I knew this was a match I really wanted to see as soon as it was out that AJ was heading to WWE, but I feel I've been caught off guard by just how good their chemistry has been, it already feels like it has dwarfed the excellent programme with Reigns

• 2 months later...

BUMP.

AJ vs CENA delivered as a dream match.

Now what? Do you think they are actually going to put the belt on him?

You say that like it'd be surprising. They just put the one title on Finn Balor on his third or fourth week on the roster. They've got the one title on Dean Ambrose now, and he's hardly setting the world alight. Sheamus has held the belt in the last year. It's not like AJ Styles winning it is going to shock the world. He's the best thing Smackdown has.

I haven't seen Styles in a very long time but I'm still not sure what character they are trying to portray him as. Like what his is personality, why he is here etc. 

That being said his in-work has been good (this weeks Raw match was quality) as you would expect but do feel he will struggle not being a great talker/promo. His look is okay and comes across like a veteran I'm just not sure how fans relate to him if they haven't seen him before, he doesn't come across as a instant face you would warm too. 

I have to say, he has completely won me over since this comment a few months ago. I know things change but he is super hot right now and seems to have his cocky character locked down. 

Archived