How do you view AJ Styles in WWE....so far?

LWOLeN

• Paid Members

AJ v Devitt was the big money feud that NJPW missed out on due to Devitt's contract ending, I can see WWE picking this up

I don't know how much money that would have actually made in New Japan, and seriously doubt it would have been "big." The thing with that one was that Devitt leaving precipitated A.J. having that prime spot as leader of the big heel faction to walk straight into it, and that storyline made it ideal for him to challenge and ultimately take the belt and be a big deal straight from the off. You can make the case that Styles can't become as big a star if Devitt is still there. Furthermore, Devitt wasn't really at that level yet. Bullet Club had been antagonists to the point he left but without being a real threat to the main event. Devitt was a successful junior that was giving it the big "I am" playing the dickhead heel with ideas above his station. He had received his crack at Okada off the back of the formation and his undefeated Best of the Super Juniors, but nobody gave him a cat in hell's chance of winning. Maybe there's a story if Devitt stays but Styles still displaces him as Bullet Club leader and there's a good reason to feud, if the fans accept Devitt as a babyface again, but I think even if A.J. still reaches main event status in a New Japan where Devitt stays, Styles vs Devitt is a B tour headliner when you still had Okada, Tanahashi and Nakamura.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

AJ v Devitt was the big money feud that NJPW missed out on due to Devitt's contract ending, I can see WWE picking this up

Be nice if they could explain the history. Be horrible if it turned into one of those terrible TNA feuds where they fight over a stable they're not allowed to mention!

The words "Bullet Club" were uttered on NXT last week (or the week before, maybe) so it appears it's not totally out of bounds to at least SAY.

I'd imagine New Japan might have something to say about it if WWE were to throw it about all the time or start printing shirts with skull & crossbones on them, but to use it once or twice to establish context seems like fair usage?

It would be easy enough to go down the route of Balor reclaiming 'his' stable and renaming it Balor Club accordingly. Gallows also apparently owns the trademark on the 'cool' version 'Biz Cliz', so you could use that for the context, e.g. Anderson spouting "AJ, this guy here [balor] was always the REAL leader of the Biz Cliz..." etc. etc.

I'm really intrigued as to what'll happen when the Bullet Club arrive and what AJs involvement with them will be. There's logic behind both him joining or feuding with them and of course a feud with Balor could be money if done right. Is everyone assuming they'll be coming in as heels or babyfaces ? I could honestly see them going either way.

The fantasy booker in me would book them as tweenerish babyfaces and have them become this generations Degeneration X so that my Fire Pro efed can finally become real (it probably won't happen).

If they only do one thing with AJ this year it has to be a match with Samoa Joe just for the pure surrealism of AJ vs Joe being a thing in 2016 inside a WWE ring.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I think he's been a breath of fresh air. Excellent matches with Reigns that have made them both look a million dollars. And I'm still invested in where this angle with Gallows & Anderson is going. Hopefully the reveal isn't Clare Lynch.

He looks like a playground perv. And I would have been the last person to take issue with guys like Punk when he was getting done in for his greasy hair.

AJ Styles needs to look clean shaven with short hair. The current grubby look does nothing whatsoever to hide the fact that outside the ring he seems like complete anti craic matter.

He's great in every way and I redact my pathetic grievances about his hair.

He's even hillarious when he pops up in things like the E&C show and needs to do it more often because I've discovered that him saying anything that normally wouldn't suit him in that goofy accent is instantly amusing to me.

I hope he gets one or two decent title runs under his resume, even with the Smackdown belt.

• Paid Members

He's probably the best wrestler in the whole business at the minute. Even if he loses it doesnt matter. I cant see him not winning one of the world titles when/if they introduce the new one. Roman Reigns has benefited from that feud unbelievably. Reigns vs Styles has that Edge vs Cena vibe about it. Reigns needed that type of opponent at this point in his career.

The rumour before WM was that Jericho was going to be Reigns first opponent. Imagine that?

How has Reigns benefitted from it? The idiots still boo him just as much and, during his fabulous match at extreme rules, they even added in the you can't wrestle chant. Nothing has changed as far as I can see. Reigns is still great. Everyone still boos him.

As for AJ, he's the best in the company without doubt. He loses all the time which will hurt him eventually hit at the moment it's not a big deal and he could still easily slot into a secondary title reign either on the ther brand or to help elevate one of the mid card belts.

• Paid Members

How has Reigns benefitted from it? The idiots still boo him just as much and, during his fabulous match at extreme rules, they even added in the you can't wrestle chant. Nothing has changed as far as I can see. Reigns is still great. Everyone still boos him.

Doesnt matter if they boo him if he's delivering the goods. Which did during that Styles feud. And its arguable if he was doing that (or allowed to do that) in his feuds with the Authority. There's a world of difference in his character and also the expectation of his main events pre- and post-April. People will continue to boo him and chant "you cant wrestle" at him, but its parody to anyone who isnt mental.

The pairing with Reigns was good as it hasn't felt like filler before his next fued. Someone like Jericho or Kane wouldn't have felt like an actual threat. Jericho probably would have been able to attract the boos but it would have just felt like a step down. Styles was a fresh opponent who he could put on great matches with

Archived