Roddy Piper is dead

Astro Hollywood

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One of those guys who was ruined by the look behind the curtain. I loved him when I was a kid. Even his commentary.

When I think of him, its always his brilliant exuberance at Rumble 92, the WrestleMania match with Bret or that incredible ovation when he came out at SummerSlam 92 for no reason.

The music is ace.

Almost everything he's been involved in since 1993 has been utter dogshit.

A bolt out of the fucking blue, and only weeks after Dusty died as well. The wrestling gods have sure known how to kick us old school fans hard in recent weeks what with Dusty, The Hogan scandal and now taking 'Hot Rod' from us as well. Gutwrenching to say the least  :(

• Paid Members

Piper was someone who I loved so much when I was a kid. I got into the WWF through the cartoon, so Piper and Hogan were like Batman and the Joker. Or Eubank and Benn. They were the faces of that period when you first got into it. Piper was also sort of what a legend should be these days back in 1989/90. He wrestled occassionally, did commentary and did promotion for them. He was the perfect person to have on your roster, because he still had fame and was a great little short term attraction. WWE could do with someone like that now (funnily enough, that's what they wanted Hogan to be, pre-racist scum).

In recent years, I think it was WCW when things took a real down turn for his career. WWF had protected him so much back in the early 90s as this big legend, that when he showed up in WCW and was put with Hogan he still had world class drawing power. By 2000, like so many, he was fucked. Over exposed, released from his contract with the WWF not interested in taking Piper Nuts back. And in recent years he's sounded really loopy.

But in fairness to him, away from his mental interviews and fondness for making up stuff, watching him on Wife Swap and seeing him around his kids, he must have done something right because his wife and kids adored him. They were spoilt little wannabes like Hogan's kids. The whole family seemed really nice. I suppose that's all that matters in the end. Shame to see him go. Everytime one of these wrestlers die, it takes me back to the nights after school that my Dad would take me to the video shop and rent out SummerSlam 89 or the Survivor Series 88. Its a shame how wrestling is in a lot of ways. Hogan, Piper, Warrior, Savage, Mr Pefect, Bret Hart, The Rockers and the Bulldog were exactly what I thought they were when I was 5 years old.

• Paid Members

Shit.

I don't usually bother to post in these because other people say it better but.... shit.

One of those guys who was ruined by the look behind the curtain. I loved him when I was a kid. Even his commentary.

Yeah. So often these days it's easy to say with smarkish, educated eyes/ears that he was a bit rubbish, but at the time I loved it. Piper made me care so much about Bret in his match at Survivors 90 which solidified the Hitman as my favourite. Piper completely sold me on what UTTER BASTARDS Mr Perfect, the Million Dollar Man and Sgt Slaughter were. The best thing about Virgil's entire career was how Roddy reacted to his big moments. When Jake's cobra came out, I shit myself because Piper sounded like he was shitting himself. The guy connected me to the product, at the time.

And yes, as a Bret Hart fan, I can't not mention WrestleMania VIII. That match was beautiful. In fact, I can't even bring myself to carry on typing, because I'm just going to go watch that match instead.

Farewell Rod. In the words of Piper himself at the end of the Crunch Classic tape, seems fitting.... may you have half an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead.

Oh for fucks sake. For me, he was always "the man" - his strut down the ramp at WrestleMania I was one of the few occasions I looked at a wrestler and thought he was genuinely "cool".

A couple of personal stories: I'm not particularly one for trying to gain the attention of famous people on Twitter, but on the day I started university (and absolutely shitting myself), I had tweeted a reply to something he had posted. A few hours later, I finally left home and got all dropped off at my halls, and just as I connected to the university internet up popped Hot Rod with a reply and a retweet which, I must admit, calmed by nerves quite some!

Then a year or so ago, he had tweeted about catching up with another wrestler from the golden age of the WWF for "a coke", to which I had oh-so-wittily retorted that "It sounds just like the eighties again". When my phone suddenly buzzed three times with lengthy responses from Roddy himself, I assumed he had taken some offence and was "putting me in my place", but no... He had gone on my profile, saw that I had described myself as "trying to be a writer" or something of that sort, and taken it upon himself to provide tips on overcoming writers block and how he gains inspiration - I always found that a really kind gesture from someone like him to some random guy...

So yeah, he was somewhat "eccentric", but he always came across as a genuinely good man who doted on his kids. There's not many of those in pro wrestling, especially of that era. This one might have shocked me more than any wrestling-related death since Benoit.

• Paid Members

People who've been on this board a while will know how much I bang on about that WM8 match, so I'm glad to see others sharing in the love for it. As I've said before, it's a movie in a match, and Piper more than held up his side of it. To have the entire crowd pleading with him while he held that ring bell, begging him not to go back to his old ways - just a masterful piece of storytelling.

I will also go out on a limb and say that I truly believe that without Piper, Hogan wouldn't have the same profile he got. Obviously Andre was his other great rival, but Piper was the one who helped carry the whole Rock & Wrestling thing into the mainstream and to the MTV generation.

Archived