Roddy Piper is dead

Astro Hollywood

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Roddy - one of my favourites. I loved him when I first got into wrestling, his Intercontinental championshp win and subsequent reign was possibly my favourite ever, I remember being generally disappointed that Bret won at Wrestlemania VIII (also included one of my favourite Bobby Heenan Lines "What the hell, use a bell"). I also enjoyed his mini comebacks in 1994 and 1996. It was only years later (once I started watching 1980's material, I appreciated more what a fantastic heel he was.

RIP Roddy, you were cray as hell, outspoken, usually controversial but you were also a true wrestling legend.

Almost everything he's been involved in since 1993 has been utter dogshit.

This Piper's Pit with Cena being a big exception-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yiNtjBQFSE

I love Piper. I always hear people talking about him being a great heel, but because of my age I know him as a highly entertaining, intense, face. And I echo peoples statements about him commentary, I enjoyed it greatly. Rip Roddy

• Paid Members

From Bret Hart

I can't find the words to describe the sorrow in my heart upon learning the news of my dear friend, Roddy Piper, passing away. He was my closest friend in the business, a man that schooled me and guided me throughout my career. In fact, if it wasn't for Roddy Piper reaching out to help me, I'm sure I would've been a mere footnote in wrestling. He was always there for me. He was family to me, a brother who loved me and was there for me through my darkest days. He was the only wrestler to come visit me when I suffered a stroke in 2002. He totally made me at Wrestlemania 8 in our classic match. Passing a torch that many from that era couldn't conceive of doing. We always called each other "cuz" because we were so close. I loved you Roddy, and I'll miss you and your laugh for the rest of my days. I'm stunned and the hole in my heart will widen as it sinks in that I lost a brother of such great worth. What a tragic loss to all that knew him.

• Paid Members

RIP Hot Rod. The guy personified everything that fascinates me about this crazy game.

The outpouring on social media from people not involved with wrestling is touching to see. Everybody holds the wrestlers they loved at some point in their lives close to their hearts.

...off to watch They Live.

• Paid Members

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said by you eloquent bastards but this mental fucker was pure pro-wrestling, sure he seemed to be getting crazier as time went on but he got away with it because he was so entertaining. Properly felt like I was punched in the gut when I heard about this, him and Dusty in just over a month really sucks, two of the biggest characters in a business full of big characters. Few wore a kilt better RIP Hot Rod.

Archived