Roddy Piper is dead

Astro Hollywood

That's quite a talent roster they're assembling up there.

I dont think many of them would qualify for "up there." If there is an "up there."

Maybe certain people wouldn't qualify. Not that I want to move the thread topic away from a legend's death to what happens after people die.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Have we already had a "What's My Best Match?" thread for Piper? I know he wasn't as known for his matches as he was his promos and character work, but there were still some classics there. I'm certain the WM8 match would win, but I daresay there'd be competition from his Dog Collar match with Valentine, his controversial match with Bad News Brown, the brawl with Goldust, and surely some sleepers from his pre-WWF days too.

• Paid Members

It's going to be interesting to see what they're going to do on the Network to pay tribute to Roddy. They have the footage to make a really great documentary on his career, or maybe do a, "Piper week," with a couple of specials, but the Hogan situation makes things difficult.

They're not going to want to feature Hulk in newly created content, but Hulk plays such a big part of Piper's career that it'll seem weird to tell the story and show the biggest moments without mentioning or showing Hogan.

They managed to get Hogan out of the Kevin Nash documentary, the parts about the NWO in WCW and the run-in at WrestleMania this year just cut him completely. With Piper they'd have to just limit the Hogan stuff quite a bit and use "main-evented the inaugural WrestleMania" and so on. It's do-able, but it'd seem even odder there than it did in the Nash doc.

It's going to be interesting to see what they're going to do on the Network to pay tribute to Roddy. They have the footage to make a really great documentary on his career, or maybe do a, "Piper week," with a couple of specials, but the Hogan situation makes things difficult.

They're not going to want to feature Hulk in newly created content, but Hulk plays such a big part of Piper's career that it'll seem weird to tell the story and show the biggest moments without mentioning or showing Hogan.

Good point. I'd say it's almost impossible to ignore Hogan when talking about Piper's career. Makes you wonder how awkward it could've been for WWE had it have been Hogan who passed away instead. Would all have been forgiven?

I became a fan around the time he was still a commentator and a line that always stuck with me was at the UK Rampage when describing Haku came up with:

"Take his face, push it in dough and make gorilla cookies. We're talking Haku."

Always made me laugh as well as this one talking about Ric Flair at the Battle Royal at The Royal Albert Hall.

Archived