Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

Liam O'Rourke

When wrestlers gather in a group at the bottom of a ladder or outside of the ring all looking at somebody who is about to jump at them. All whilst they're throwing absolutely pathetic punches. Then the guy at the back of the group falls over too when he didn't even get touched. I absolutely hate that spot.

Jerry Lawler's high pitched "AHH"

Michael Cole's "looker looker looker" & "switching gears now..."

JBL's "wahh wahh wahh" He does this one at least once a show.

The Miz. I can't believe he's still employed and that somebody continuously is trying to make us give a shit about him.

I have to echo the gripe about the Hell In A Cell PPV too. "I challenge you to.....HELL IN A CELL" Oh, really? Wouldn't have guessed that with it being the next PPV and all.

The way the divas run the ropes.

No doubt I'll be back to this thread once I've watched last night's RAW.

Also, I love Cena, but his repetitive "Oh we all rowdy up in Nawlins tonight" or "Brooklyn DEFINITELY in the house tonight" every fucking time he faces a heated crowd/response just gets my goat.

I also love Cena but his sucking up to crowds who are giving him hell abuse is awful, and it's doubly annoying when you come on here and read that Cena apparently handled it perfectly. Handling it perfectly would result in a positive reaction for the number 1 babyface in the company, whereas nine times out of ten they continue calling him a cunt to his face. It's emasculating.

I loved that Piper's Pit before WM28 (I think) when Piper - in response to Cena giving it his normal 'I don't care that they boo me' po-faced shtick, asked him 'Why don't you care that they boo you?'. I'd love them to explore that a bit, it's been the elephant in the room for about a decade now.

Edit: here it is actually. Class watch.

<youtube>

Edited by Pinc

Tag Teams in the modern wrestling environment, and how the majority only form due to creative having nothing for them to do as singles wrestlers and the notion that every single one of them could disband at the drop of a hat. The Usos are probably the only tag team in the last ten years who you feel are in no danger of breaking up, and that's solely because they are twins. 

"Comedy" matches.  Obviously light-hearted stuff has its place in wrestling, and I don't mind wrestlers with a bit of a comical gimmick who incorporate a few funny spots into their bouts (y'know, your Colt Cabana and Grado types) - I'm talking the kind of out-and-out nonsensical, logic-destroying matches you sometimes get in the middle of independent shows, complete with slow-motion sequences and the like, or ludicrous match styles that can't possibly be taken seriously.  It just screams out "yeah, all of this stuff's bullshit really" to me.

I really hate JBL's creepy smile to the camera whenever Mackle Cole is talking.

I also hate how he flip flops from face to heel during the show. 

Any reference to Daniel Bryan being a farm yard animal/goat face/turd annoys me due to the stupidity of trying to bury your own talent. 

Edited by Metallica

• Paid Members

Also, I love Cena, but his repetitive "Oh we all rowdy up in Nawlins tonight" or "Brooklyn DEFINITELY in the house tonight" every fucking time he faces a heated crowd/response just gets my goat.

I also love Cena but his sucking up to crowds who are giving him hell abuse is awful, and it's doubly annoying when you come on here and read that Cena apparently handled it perfectly. Handling it perfectly would result in a positive reaction for the number 1 babyface in the company, whereas nine times out of ten they continue calling him a cunt to his face. It's emasculating.

I loved that Piper's Pit before WM28 (I think) when Piper - in response to Cena giving it his normal 'I don't care that they boo me' po-faced shtick, asked him 'Why don't you care that they boo you?'. I'd love them to explore that a bit, it's been the elephant in the room for about a decade now.

Edit: here it is actually. Class watch.

<youtube>

Why would he care? Unless he's a mark who's desperate for acceptance by the "smart" crowd, what's in it for him? A huge portion of the audience loves him. They are the reason he makes a shitload of money and is the biggest star in wrestling. He's got nothing to gain from trying to woo the rest. And it wouldn't work anyway.

That's why his response, to not hide from the booing but to let them know he doesn't give a fuck is always spot on.

Awesome suggestions so far - going to get to as many of these on the show as possible. Air Raid - I'm with you 100% on the stuff you wrote here and in the email about comeback sequences, almost certain that'll be a common opinion on the show.

Any other bitter feeling towards a particular individual? Not sure if I'll get to it when we record, but I had a somewhat irrational disgust for Rick Steiner for years based on his terrible heel run from 99-2001. So useless, took a key spot and went over legitimately talented potential top guys for no reason. And he just sucked beyond belief.

When two wrestlers are doing a superplex and someone else comes along and throws them both off. It's stupid because it's basically the same landing for the guy doing the superplex anyway, and especially stupid because the bloke who stands on the mat and throws them off almost always sells it like he's been suplerplexed as well.

- Backhand chops not being referred to as reverse knife-edges

- The lack of Atomic Drops in pro wrestling

- Mr Perfect, Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels putting their head down when being thrown into a turnbuckle and flip flopping over the ropes

- Moves that look like both participants take the same amount of damage yet only the receiver acts as if hurt (superplex and reverse neck breakers are the only one's off the top of my head but there must be more)

• Paid Members

- Moves that look like both participants take the same amount of damage yet only the receiver acts as if hurt (superplex and reverse neck breakers are the only one's off the top of my head but there must be more)

The giver of a superplex often sells it too, its done loads. Like all the fucking time.

Why would a neck breaker hurt both. Both men fall but the idea is on is jarring, twisting or putting odd pressure on the others neck.

I agree with your point but I do think you've gone for bad examples there.

The giver of a superplex often sells it too, its done loads. Like all the fucking time.

Why would a neck breaker hurt both. Both men fall but the idea is on is jarring, twisting or putting odd pressure on the others neck.

Yeah superplex was a bad example. Re the reverse neckbreaker, it only came to mind as I just watched Brett Hart give it to someone and to my mind it looks like both wrestlers fall backwards and take the same impact. In fact, it looks like the giver's arm actually protects the taker's neck more.

• Paid Members

Davey Boy Smith's running power slam. I love Davey Boy, but that finisher was pretty tame.

Are you mad? In Davey's first solo run when he was massive, the impact that powerslam looked like it had was huge. To say nothing of when he first started doing the move in the WWF in the Bulldogs 85-88 run, by comparison, people were winning matches with regular powerslams, sidewalk slams, neckbreakers or (cough) the camel fucking clutch.

• Paid Members

Yeah superplex was a bad example. Re the reverse neckbreaker, it only came to mind as I just watched Brett Hart give it to someone and to my mind it looks like both wrestlers fall backwards and take the same impact. In fact, it looks like the giver's arm actually protects the taker's neck more.

It does. That's how nobody gets hurt when it's done right. You have to suspend disbelief, man!

Davey Boy Smith's running power slam. I love Davey Boy, but that finisher was pretty tame.

Are you mad? In Davey's first solo run when he was massive, the impact that powerslam looked like it had was huge. To say nothing of when he first started doing the move in the WWF in the Bulldogs 85-88 run, by comparison, people were winning matches with regular powerslams, sidewalk slams, neckbreakers or (cough) the camel fucking clutch.

Aye, but mid nineties to 2000 you had powerbombs, and stunners, and Rock Bottoms, and Pedigrees, and Goldberg spears, and choke slams, and tombstones and sweet chin music's etc. Test pulled a power slam out his ass most matches for a two count.