Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I know I've already sent you an email, but now I've read the brief, I feel compelled to add how much I hate Kofi Kingston. He's just completely shit and doesn't convince me that he's a wrestler in the slightest. He doesn't make me think he could beat anyone up and he isn't good enough a wrestler, fast enough or "dangerous" enough with strikes, for example, to make me think he could beat anyone tougher than him, and I believe everyone's tougher than him. Where I used to think Bret Hart was good enough and I think Daniel Bryan is tough enough.... Kofi has nothing. His offence is weak as you like and his finish is a dumb kick that Flash Funk used as a mid-match move. It looks good, but I don't believe it could beat anyone. His endless feuds with Zigglers or McIntyres over the midcard belts were a primary reason why I started losing interest in who held each, and I found it completely laughable that the atrociously-named Air Boom got to run around with the tag belts for the entire duration of the brilliance that was Awesome Truth.

The fact that the guy has won the Intercontinental title four times and the United States title three times says it all, in that he's had seven midcard title reigns and still achieved nothing that I consider memorable in any of them. He's just "there". I basically hate everything about Kofi, from his music, to his repertoire to his mannerisms. God, especially his mannerisms. I really want someone to beat the shit out of him. He annoys me so much. I even dislike when he pops up as a talking head on the DVDs to talk about stuff that happened while he wasn't in the company and basically just tells you what happened - which you know, because you just saw it - and adds nothing of value at all. Again, he's just "there."

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke and the kids seem to like him, but I wish he'd fuck off.

ipwR92C2XQGee.gif

Oh, that's wonderfully atrocious. Two guys with a wealth of experience, positioned as top guys by their company, assembling something that looks so half-arsed and amateur. When TNA finally gives up and people get to create their "Death of TNA in pictures" or "TNA, LOL" compilations like they did for WCW, that's got to be in there.

Edited by air_raid

Big Show. Im sure he's a top bloke but fuck me seeing him on my tv is soul destroying. I know he's a giant and what have you but his lack of development an the fact he's still being put over the younger guys just gripes me.

Speaking of the young guys...im so sick of Kane, Show and all those guys but then there are the likes of Kofi Kingston and Ziggler who've been around for years and they are the exact same. either tell them to bugger off or change them up a bit to make them interesting.

I'd be well up for a new youth movement and seeing this generations mid card told to move along.

Authority figures. A staple ever since Vince McMahon and Stone Cold made history. I just cannot tolerate it. I'd rather have a good heel stable than a woeful authority figure. Just piss off. Though I think the bloke from Lucha Underground is top drawer.

Thats all.

For now...

And Daniel Bryan's opponents not knowing that after he backflips off the top turnbuckle, he's going to duck their clothesline & hit one of his own. Does nobody study tapes? I've seen Harper & Barrett counter but that's about it.

Edited by HLSXN

• Paid Members

I think of loads all the time but of course now the question has been asked, can't think of them.

Dean Ambrose's shit bounce off the ropes thing does my tits in. I used to think it was cool until he started to seriously over-use it. How is no-one else in the entire wrestling world being put in that position except him? Seen him do it multiple times in one match. Dickhead.

People who have finishers they could hit at any time but don't. The Big Show's punch being the obvious. He's in a position to hit that thing a million times a week but only does it when he's ready to end the match. It's so shit.

Getting someone up in a gorilla press position in a battle royal and then not launching them over the fucking ropes. Obviously it wouldn't be safe, so in that case, don't do a fucking gorilla press in the first place!

Not whipping the opponent into an Irish whip. Get another job, cowboy!

People whop wear wrestling gear to make a non-wrestling appearance. Hate that one.

Everyone just wearing their own T-Shirt.

John Cena's STF. An obvious one. I adore the guy but it's still shit. I did love how recently he sold Ambrose's STF in exactly the same way as he sells "wrenching" it on other people.

"FOR THE WIN" (See also "FOR THE TITLE" and "FOR THE VICTORY")

JBL being the most half-arsed heel in wrestling history. He smiles whenever the camera is on him. And backs down all the time.

All the shows and PPVs that cunt Benoit has ruined.

Biggest peeves in wrestling,

-The Modern phenomena of not selling injuries in matches. A quick rub of the leg or back or what not isn't selling an injury, especially when said injured appendage is then used to hit finisher, power move with no added ill effect.

- The Pin to Camera has been mentioned, but what about the needless pin. TO A FINISH, WILL THEY KICK OUT?. No of course they fucking wont! It's 5 seconds into a match an early pin has become so meaningless it's not even sold as a wear down move using up extra energy now, it's just there to annoy.

- 5 moves- Basically wrestlers using the same moves over and over and over. I know the fans want to see the moves, but when they get so predictable they become boring then it's time to mix it up, See also Finishers, something different would be nice.

-Randy Orton's DDT off the Ropes- I hate it with a passion, it always has to 'be set up' and always looks contrived to fuck. I think match vs Seth at WM is perhaps the only time it's looked even vaguely in place, as for the rest, please leave it now.

• Paid Members

Oh, that's wonderfully atrocious. Two guys with a wealth of experience, positioned as top guys by their company, assembling something that looks so half-arsed and amateur. When TNA finally gives up and people get to create their "Death of TNA in pictures" or "TNA, LOL" compilations like they did for WCW, that's got to be in there.

That gif is an extreme example of that shitty type of thing, because everything that could go wrong did go wrong. In fairness to Bully Ray and Hardy, look behind the table. There's a crumbled table that previously ended up dead. They tried that spot previously and the shit table TNA provided broke. And I dont mean "Rock/Foley/to much weight for a Rock Bottom" from 98 style either. I mean Bully put his arse on it and it fell down like Del Boy going through the bar. Bully Ray is in a position now to either make it look rotten but get to where he wants to be or risk being laughed at by everyone by falling through the table again. So I have sympathy for the poor bloke. The tables were so shite, I honestly dont believe there was another way for Bully to get on it without falling through it again. And if that was WWE, Kevin Dunn would have panned the crowd for a reaction as soon as Hardy hit the move, so only people at ring side would have seen Bully desperately trying not go through the table. But in TNA, that doesn't happen. Because they are mental. This is a blood feud was well, which is funny. I think Bully stuck a hammer up his arse or something sinister, so  Hardy and Bully have to do the spot.

Oh and I forgot, TNA didn't have another table under the ring, so Hardy (with seconds ticking on the live broadcast) has to fuck off back up the ramp and get one. Its the most mental thing ever. The frustration on Hardy's face is hilarious. "Fucking hell, no" might as well have been written on his face instead of those pretend eyeballs he puts on his eyelids.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

And Daniel Bryan's opponents not knowing that after he backflips off the top turnbuckle, he's going to duck their clothesline & hit one of his own.

Interesting one. Trademark comeback sequences are one area where I am less bothered by the lack of logic because it's all part of the storytelling and recognisable comeback triggers can really help to fire the crowd up at the right time in the match, but they have to be performed with conviction. Too often you will see guys go through these sequences like dance moves, seemingly forgetting what the intentions of their choreographed movements are supposed to be.

Examples: On Bryan's corner back-flip, he is supposed to be evading his opponent's rushing attack into the corner, whatever it may be. If, when he runs up to the top turnbuckle, his opponent has to make a dash into the corner to ensure they duck underneath his flip in time, that's a fuck up and it kills your suspension of disbelief. The next part of the sequence is Bryan ducking the clothesline. If 6'5'' Luke Harper just sticks his arm out at 90° for 5'10'' Daniel Bryan to run underneath, that's a fuck up and it kills your suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

And Daniel Bryan's opponents not knowing that after he backflips off the top turnbuckle, he's going to duck their clothesline & hit one of his own. Does nobody study tapes? I've seen Harper & Barrett counter but that's about it.

Liam, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about in my email about Cena's Protoplex sequence. I've nothing against wrestlers doing the same offence in the same order in every match if it's what works, but relying on your opponent to react a certain way every time looks fake and naff.

For the benefit of everyone else ; it grinds my gears beyond belief how every one of John Cena's opponents will react to two shoulder tackles by throwing a wild haymaker so Cena can duck and hit the Protoplex. It looks SO shit. Can we please eliminate sequences like that which give away that it's all a feat of co-operation?

-Randy Orton's DDT off the Ropes- I hate it with a passion, it always has to 'be set up' and always looks contrived to fuck. I think match vs Seth at WM is perhaps the only time it's looked even vaguely in place, as for the rest, please leave it now.

I kind of like the matches where Orton makes the choice to sling his opponent between the ropes so he can drape them and then hit the move. It keeps it fresh that his opponent doesn't have to find an opportunity to expose their head between the ropes for Orton to grab every single match. Even then, it's not as bad as some other sequences. It's not unrealistic that Orton's opponent wants to get back in the ring... although maybe more of them should be alert to the fact they're putting themselves in harms way going head first.

• Paid Members

That was just like CM Punk doing his springboard from the apron into a clothesline (?) That ALWAYS got countered. Why would you ever do it?

The pin to hard cam thing is so ingrained, I find it really noticeable when someone doesn't do it. There was something recently where somebody didn't have a clue about working for the hard cam, and it fucked up a reaction or something. It might have been Sting or a celebrity.

One I've just thought of that I hate is the thing where a wrestler does a pin, and the guy kicks out, so he does another pin. It seems like the sort of thing that some World of Sport knob thought was logical for weardown blahblah, but nobody is ever going to buy it as a finish -- not that every cover has to be a believable potential finish, but that thing in particular just seems so pointless and stupid.

And when authority figures do "you're facing... this guy" announcements based on an impromptu in-ring argument. It means they always have a Mark Henry/Luke Harper type waiting behind the curtain just in case someone interrupts them.

That's a good one. Always taking a swing at Cena after he shoulder tackles you twice is another, or throwing a clothesline at Orton and bouncing off the ropes after he does two clotheslines. Bryan's is probably the worst for it though, it looks so false every time.

Getting someone up in a gorilla press position in a battle royal and then not launching them over the fucking ropes. Obviously it wouldn't be safe, so in that case, don't do a fucking gorilla press in the first place!

If they did this rule, Bulldog would have been banned from ever taking part in one. He loved it.

Edited by King Pitcos