Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

Liam O'Rourke

So, for this week's podcast, we're looking to tap into the more cynical and humourous part of people's minds, and talk about different pet peeves or just utter hatreds you have when it comes to the world of wrestling.

Is there one wrestler you always just utterly despised? A TV or PPV show that grates on your nerves? A commonly held belief that you completely disagree with? A pet peeve you constantly have to deal with that you'd like to eradicate?

Ultimately, who or what do you hate, and more importantly, why? As always we'll be reading the best submissions on the show and crediting you accordingly, so this should be fun to get a handle on who and what people personally don't like about their wrestling.

EDIT - The podcast discussing a ton of the Pet Peeves mentioned in this thread is now available at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/5jscg6/SCGRadio35-WrestlingPetPeeves.mp3

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Any time people use wrestling being predetermined as an illogical explanation or justification for an unrelated point. "Because wrestling is fake, the storylines don't have to make sense" or "Because wrestling is predetermined, people dying early doesn't matter" and the like.

Raw being three hours long. Fucking hate it. I don't even bother to watch it on fast forward. I just avoid it. Every weekly wrestling show (NXT, TNA, Lucha Underground, Smackdown etc) should be one hour long and Raw should be 2 hours. If Raw overuns by a few minutes then it's longer than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. No wonder Lesnar's the only guy they have who's properly over, he barely even shows up on Raw. How is somebody meant to be entertaining, must see, and relevant when they've gotta go out and do 20-minute segments every week? 

Tag team matches they are all the same.

No holds barred matches meaning no DQ and not a specific hold being unbarred.

Managers who do nothing at ringside.

Heels who do nothing heelish

Heels who do flips to get the crowd behind them.

Closer to him:

Promotions that celebrate 'anniversaries' when they've ran three shows.

Wrestling TV shows that don't understand that wrestling is about more than wrestling matches.

• Paid Members

I hate specific pay per views like Hell in a Cell or Elimination Chamber. Surely matches like those (Hell in a Cell especially) should only be used when they have a feud to justify the stipulation, not just because its a certain month of the year. The Royal Rumble is different.

The vast majority of 'comedy' in WWE over the years. Its more of a personal thing as I like The Office, The Thick of It etc, so I find most American comedy to be way too obvious and in your face, and Wrestling is certainly no exception to this. 

Irrational, but people who start compling lists of the 'best ever' whatever when they've only been watching a few years and haven't done much to seek out older wrestling.

Edited by garynysmon

I hate when a wrestler shouts out the move he/she is about to do before delivering it. Surely the opponent will hear this and counter the move.

Actually Marty Scurll used this his advantage last night in Broxbourne. He shouted out "Superkick" and Davey Richards covered his face. Marty then kicked him in the leg and said "Ha fooled you!".  

Edited by LSM

• Paid Members

Divas running the ropes.

They stop short and just put an arm across the top rope, they have little to no effect on the ropes to warrant any sort of momentum in the opposite direction.

Does my swede in.

• Paid Members

Divas running the ropes...

This is a good one actually, I will second this and extend it to any wrestlers performing moves that defy all logic and common sense to the point where you can no longer suspend your disbelief and it completely takes you out of the match. Chief offenders here are big crowds of guys gathering together around the ring to catch a tope and guys that almost voluntarily and completely conspicuously position themselves on a table or underneath a chair or whatever to set up a high spot.

ipwR92C2XQGee.gif

Edited by Arch Stanton

Raw being three hours long. Fucking hate it. I don't even bother to watch it on fast forward. I just avoid it. Every weekly wrestling show (NXT, TNA, Lucha Underground, Smackdown etc) should be one hour long and Raw should be 2 hours. If Raw overuns by a few minutes then it's longer than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. No wonder Lesnar's the only guy they have who's properly over, he barely even shows up on Raw. How is somebody meant to be entertaining, must see, and relevant when they've gotta go out and do 20-minute segments every week?

I absolutely agree 100%. I have a full-time job, a wife, a young child and a Labrador that needs walking. I simply do not have 3 hours to sit and watch a wrestling programme every week.

Another thing which I hate is the Heel Authority Figure gimmick. Vince McMahon and Steve Austin had an amazing run in 1998/99 but it feels like that basic premise has been the template for the booking of WWE, TNA and countless other groups ever since and I can't stand it. Why can't we just have a Jack Tunney-like guy who pops up to clear up controversies but otherwise stay well clear?

Edited by fraserbee

• Paid Members

I hate specific pay per views like Hell in a Cell or Elimination Chamber. Surely matches like those (Hell in a Cell especially) should only be used when they have a feud to justify the stipulation

Like Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins.

Ooh look, wrestler A needs to get his hands on wrestler B but B keeps running off, oh hang on after the next PPV is HIAC PPV guess that's why they're doing it and where the blow off will be, guessing Wrestler A won't catch B till then.

No organic feel to it in anyway shape or form.

• Paid Members

Wrestlers shuffling awkwardly around to face the hard cam when making the pin that wins the match. Really takes a lot of the realism out of the contest. Also, looks stupid.

Another good answer. When I first noticed that wrestlers were doing this, I would actually admire those that could do it smoothly enough for it to not look unnatural, but then I started to notice it in almost every match and it just bothers me now.

Some other logic vacuums that exist in modern WWE, which irritate the fuck out of me:

• Guy climbing ladder to retrieve the title belt/briefcase.... slow as fuck.
  • Guy climbing ladder to deny another opponent... rat up drainpipe. Dolph Ziggler unsurprisingly very guilty of this at WrestleMania.
  • Schoolboy roll-up for the win on a completely fresh opponent?! No chance mate.
  • Schoolboy roll-up for the win on a completely fresh opponent that has just looked at a 3rd party outside the ring?! Three count!