Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

Liam O'Rourke

I kind of like the matches where Orton makes the choice to sling his opponent between the ropes so he can drape them and then hit the move. It keeps it fresh that his opponent doesn't have to find an opportunity to expose their head between the ropes for Orton to grab every single match. Even then, it's not as bad as some other sequences. It's not unrealistic that Orton's opponent wants to get back in the ring... although maybe more of them should be alert to the fact they're putting themselves in harms way going head first.

I get what you are saying, hence why the Seth thing, which was a sling thing is more attuned, but I have always hated it and it pisses me off  every single time, you'd think that opponents would know that if Orton was lurking by the ropes he was going to attempt it. Has there been a successful block? 

• Paid Members

Any time people use wrestling being predetermined as an illogical explanation or justification for an unrelated point. "Because wrestling is fake, the storylines don't have to make sense" or "Because wrestling is predetermined, people dying early doesn't matter" and the like.

Yeah, I got backlash recently because I said I'd like if my wrestling storylines attempted to make logical sense - even somewhat.

https://ukff.com/topic/131365-random-thoughts-thread-v2-no-news-items/page-616#entry2911342

British Wrestling commentary. A massive lack of polished presenting style and/or even worse, copycat impressions where every match from the beginning of the show to the end is presented like a WrestleMania main event, and every move is named, because Joey Styles did that and the internet loved him. Re-watch some his stuff and it does not hold up too well.

Worst guy out there today is the geek that is commentating on WrestleTalk TV for this Davey Boy Cup. The guy managed to utter a 15 minute long sentence for the duration of the match, with no time to breathe. He just would not shut up and made everything unwatchable. You really do not need to name every single damn move. 

Only guy that does not annoy me and urge me to press the mute button is Jim Smallman for Progress. Let's the action breathe and does not put himself over.

• Paid Members

Lazy, crap, storytelling.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my interest in WWE has waned at a time that they've got a ridiculous amount of TV to write every week. It must be an extremely hard job but when you build stuff up, like the "Who sent the text to Nash?" mystery a few years back, I want a decent pay off that makes sense. Not "Nash stole Triple H's phone and sent the text about attacking Punk to himself....for some reason".

It is entertainment after all. If I'm reading a book with a story that makes no sense or goes nowhere, I'll stop reading. Wrestling really isn't any different.

I don't blame the writers though. Except for Russo. He's just terrible.

"Comedy" matches.  Obviously light-hearted stuff has its place in wrestling, and I don't mind wrestlers with a bit of a comical gimmick who incorporate a few funny spots into their bouts (y'know, your Colt Cabana and Grado types) - I'm talking the kind of out-and-out nonsensical, logic-destroying matches you sometimes get in the middle of independent shows, complete with slow-motion sequences and the like, or ludicrous match styles that can't possibly be taken seriously.  It just screams out "yeah, all of this stuff's bullshit really" to me.

People who don't work for the company, or have been banned, walking out to an entrance video or music. All for a cheap pop, and totally shatters any suspension of disbelief. This is the kind of thing that mainstream TV does everything it can to avoid, yet wrestling lets it fly because "hey, it's wrestling".

When the main event of the show gets decided by two blokes challenging each other an hour into the show. What was going to be the main event? Shouldn't those people be pissed off they've been booted off the show or down the card? 

Authority figures. None of them will ever be as good as Vince, and almost every wrestling company now centres around an authority figure. Companies and territories existed perfectly well for years with them only making sporadic appearances, so it doesn't have to be like this. It's just pure laziness, and I can imagine every new writer coming in has an amazing idea about an authority figure rather than wanting to create a feud between two guys. The 30 minutes per show invested in a non-working, or at best part-time talent could be spent getting over younger talent who can actually draw.

Finishers being kicked out of. If more than two/three guys can and have kicked out of your finisher, you would get a new one. People kick out of finishers on Smackdown these days which is absolutely ridiculous. Protect the finishers or they're meaningless and while you're at it throw in a schoolboy or roll up once in a while. 

Finally, lack of blood in WWE. Wrestling needs blood on certain occasions, PG or not. It got ridiculous ten years back when HBK was juicing virtually every week on RAW, but it is missed. The Mania main event was made all the more dramatic by it.

Improper use of the terms "World" and "Heavyweight" Championship. If a Championship is Heavyweight Title then only wrestlers of that weight class can challenge for it as far as political correctness. And is a Championship really a World Championship if it's only been defended in it's promotion home country?

And Daniel Bryan's opponents not knowing that after he backflips off the top turnbuckle, he's going to duck their clothesline & hit one of his own. Does nobody study tapes? I've seen Harper & Barrett counter but that's about it.

Liam, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about in my email about Cena's Protoplex sequence. I've nothing against wrestlers doing the same offence in the same order in every match if it's what works, but relying on your opponent to react a certain way every time looks fake and naff.

For the benefit of everyone else ; it grinds my gears beyond belief how every one of John Cena's opponents will react to two shoulder tackles by throwing a wild haymaker so Cena can duck and hit the Protoplex. It looks SO shit. Can we please eliminate sequences like that which give away that it's all a feat of co-operation?

The irony being the Cena did actually study tape (well I assume he did) for the second Mania match with The Rock, as he stopped when The Rock jumped up before the Five Knuckle Shuffle, which is how he won the year before.

They should play on that more, the familiarity of opponents. Especially after a long feud, maybe they do and I just don't notice.

Though I may well just be remembering all that wrong, don't think so as I remember Cena stopping, outsmarting The Rock and hitting his finished is how they should have finished. Instead they carried on for a few more minutes.

If we are talking about realism, then for me the most annoying part is the referee, it's easily my biggest pet peeve. Well the impartial ones who aren't working for the bad guy, those I can excuse as at least there's a reason for how they act. The ones who have no reason to cheat or be shit should not be continually flummoxed by someone on the apron, a tag team member coming in or any of the typical tropes which happen in a match. I completely understand its a pantomime and that's the point to get the baddy over, still it's so shit when it happens the same way every bloody time. How are the referees not fired for screwing up a contest like that over and over again? Surely in wrestling logic it is real, yet no wrestlers have gone to actively complain to the commissioner and no referee has gotten a suspension.

This is why I can't care about logic in wrestling, all logic is thrown out the window when referees act like that.

• Paid Members

Over protection of the big show - name the last wrestler to beat the fat bouncer clean? Not 1 for months.

Doesn't that tell you something about the terrible way he's been booked since joining the WWE though?

Look at the size of the bloke, he shouldn't be getting pinned clean apart from very rare occasions.

Maybe i'm being old fashioned but there you go.

I just think from recent where they were trying to build reigns up vs lesnar but in hindsight to make him look strong he should have battered the big show instead of getting beat a couple of times.

Same with orton vs show on smackdown (orton is the next challenger) but doesnt get a pin on the lump.

Obviously the booking of show over years have made him look a fool, countless turns havent helped.

• Paid Members

Put me down for the people doing a run in gear when they aren't wresting on the show or meant to be there or are returning. It just takes the moment out and just doesn't sit well with me, just slightly breaking that wall it a way that it doesn't need to. Some things can't be avoided, something's are fun enough to let overlook.

I liked it when some people who are wrestling run out in gear with trimming, like the rock dressed to go but with a baggy t-shirt on like he's keeping his nips warm while he was stretching his calves on the windowsill.

Expanding on the first part though, its that feel of spontaneity, we all know it's planned but I want to switch of and get into it as though its not, not to believe its all real but not all planned out. It can be riddled with fantasy and true fight inaccuracies as long as I can feel emotionally involved in the story. Its when they don't try the small things like that they build to a big ball of little things. its why I'll always love seeing rubbish fall out a bin when some one uses it as a weapon backstage. Its those little things.

Some stuff these days looks great but feels like people are running through the script we know they are rather than making running through that script feel spontaneous and alive.

Authority figures. None of them will ever be as good as Vince, and almost every wrestling company now centres around an authority figure. Companies and territories existed perfectly well for years with them only making sporadic appearances

No companies survived doing high ratings nationally in primetime with them only making sporadic appearances though. Three-hour Raw will never use 1991 episodes of Wrestling Challenge as the blueprint. Squash matches are never coming back in great number, and authority figures are usually going to be around.

• Moderators

Unless it's an injury angle, nobody sells anything beyond the night of the show. PPVs see these punishing matches that should take an incredible toll, both physically and mentally, but the same guys who were in the battle of their lives less than 24 hours earlier stroll out like they're a-okay. Once the night's over, it's like the slate's been wiped clean. I'd love to see more realistic, long-term selling, where you have a real sense of these battle-beaten, weary warriors, who are hurting from the latest feud, or having to struggle though their job of no-nights-off competition, while battered from the night before. But instead, Cena or whoever, who we saw getting royally fucked up the night before, piledriven through the roof of an ambulance, or in a 25 minute main event, is 100% rested and healed the moment their music hits on Monday night.

Edited by Astro Hollywood