Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

Liam O'Rourke

Adverts during Raw when its so obvious they will cut to an advert (a heel might slide out the ring for a few seconds in a cowardly way and then its cut to an advert).

For some reason it always annoys me that the face is always in a chinlock when Raw comes back off break. I guess it's probably some sort of shorthand to kill some time before going back live, but the predictability irks me. If WWE still pretended that they were showing legitimate sporting contests, they'd come back from break one time and the match would have ended during the commercials.

Happened recently with Rusev vs Sin Cara.

I actually hate when someone is interfering in a match/interrupting a promo and they play their video and music. Ruins the element of surprise. I'm pretty sure back in the day they just ran out.

As someone has said JBL's commentary. Is he a heel or is he a face, make up your mind!!

Michael Cole - could this man be anymore annoying. 

The PPV set designs looking the same as RAW and Smackdown. Always adds to the feel of a PPV when it looks different to the main shows. 

Having wrestlers that are feuding and will be facing each other on PPV  wrestle each other on RAW/Smackdown in singles or tag matches before said PPV. Happens within a lot of feuds these days, especially in midcard, so by the time the PPV comes round there isn't much anticipation to see them in a match. 

Pretty sure there are a ton more but can't think of them!

• Paid Members

Ironically, one of my biggest peeves (especially prevalent on the indy circuit) is re-running a spot after you botched it the first time, especially if it's a really obvious botch. Work through it and do something else, don't go back and try it again.

This also gets on my tits.

I don't mind if they cover it well, and work it back in with thought and effort but you still notice, when they just run through it step by step again in a "take two it is then lads" sort of way it just blows all the suspense and intrigue

Edited by Tommy!

Cool topic, which will inevitably lead to another fun show, as per usual.

Some good shouts and loads that I echo; The no-selling of after effects the following night; finisher overkill; finishers that are easier to do that normal moves (Big Show was the fair example used, but I also thought Henrys finisher felt odd when he’d also use bodyslams beforehand)

Some right mental ones too mind you, some of which make me wonder how some folk even became fans of American wrestling in the first place. Hating ref distractions and Irish whips – seriously? Having a problem with Virgil/Dibiase is another one I can't understand.

Totally agree on the bewilderment at the hate for Bulldogs powerslam. That was one of the best finishes around. It was snappy, looked spectacular & hurty, was an impressive feat of strength on big guys, and often created drama because it was still escapable by grabbing onto the ropes. On the other hand, I’m with whoever hated the Angle slam. That just always looked shit. No impact at all, it always looked like the guy taking it was being delicately placed on the mat with all the care in the world taken to avoid any discomfort.

Anyhow. Some that spring to my mind;

- Inconsistency in selling finishers depending on the situation. In a singles match, they’ll normally keep you down for 2 or 3. In a multiman match, the receiver will immediately roll out of the ring as everybody hits their finisher. Even worse, sometimes if it’s the first part of a two part finish, they’ll get right up to take the 2nd part. For example, Kane popping up from the RKO recently to take the Spear, or the old DX joint finisher where the superkick wouldn’t even knock the bloke over. At the other end of the spectrum, you have someone taking a finisher in a non-match setting then acting unconscious for about 5 minutes whilst the attacker cuts a promo.

- Savage vs Crush at Wrestlemania X. I’ve always been quite vocal about this, it may be my least favourite ‘Mania match ever, it’s certainly the most underwhelming considering prior expectations. I’ve explained how the gimmick stip is just horrid, and 100% incompatible with creating any kind of heated, action packed, dramatic and naturally flowing wrestling match. For some reason, most people seem to at least like it yet I’ve never heard a single reason why. It’s a complete mystery to me.

- Diamond cutter-type moves. 1), for the way the recipients bounce round onto their back, 2) for all the shitty over-elaborate mid match variations you see (thankfully not as common in WWE, but rife everwhere else); and 3), as part of a wider point along with loads of other moves, that they’ve been established as finishers and that’s how they should remain

- Modern ‘heels’. More specifically, how they work like babyfaces to get pops, not heat. it;s a general grievance, but the most high profile offender right now is Seth Rollins when it comes to PPV. On TV, he’s fine, plays the character well, acts the cunt, is quite unlikeable etc. But come the big show, it’s all thrown out the window, and it’s workrate city. No way should heels be routinely flipflopping all over the place and wowing the crowd - and the only way a 200lb drip of a heel should be competitive against bigger guys is by shiftiness, cheating and being a weasel, not being technically the equal of the babyface. Because of that, I didn’t particularly enjoy that much lauded Rumble 3way . if that;s how he's going to be, the sooner he turns babyface, the better. 

- Jericho and Miz’s Trunks and kickpads attire. Both deserve special mention for having two of the worst, most ill-suited appearances in wrestling. To compound matters, both their prior looks were infinitely better and more distinguished. If you want to go for that image, make sure it’s relevent to the character you’re trying to get over, and that you’re a ripped, hard looking bastard in order to pull it off - like Ken Shamrock, not a couple of ill-defined, barely toned fairies.

- That spot where refs kick heels hands when they’re grabbing the ropes on a sunset flip. Just a complete headscratcher, entirely illogical and off-putting.

- I also hate modern, self-entitled crackpot fans who demand that everything’s booked to suit them, without having the self-awareness to realise what a red-neck they are, nor the brains to understand that if every single result went their way and Daniel Bryan or whoever was booked to win every match, it would soon get boring as fuck, and you’d never have moments like the ending of WMXXX for example. I could rant for pages about these moonhowlers, but it’s almost a topic within itself, and thankfully we’re mostly all ok on here, so it probably goes without saying that we all despair at those types.

- Non-traditional Indie wrestling too. Detest it. I was going to go into detail of specifics, but it was too lengthy and covered practically everything about this curious and weird phenomenon, so I’ll just say I hate it all generally.

- And last, but certainly not least….Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Just about the most loathsome wrestler ever shat into creation.

I hated him as a kid before I even understood all his jingoistic bollocks, so you can imagine how my thoughts were compounded when I did start to comprehend the yank bullshit that his act was based around. In addition to that, he was a fat, lazy lump who never put on exciting matches (apart from that one with Vader), made his opponents look like crap and gave them nothing, appeared to be mildly cretinous, never fucking lost, needed a weapon, looked like a pathetic oversized baby when being beat up, wouldn’t bump, tucked his gut into his pants, and had the shittiest finisher ever. Hansen or Bradshaw he wasn’t. 

If all that wasn’t enough, he stunk. Literally. Not that I’ve ever had the misfortune to be so close to him, but you just knew he was fucking rotten. I reckon that in pics with decent resolution, you can probably see the shitflies swarming around him if you look closely. Any mental image you have of him is always accompanied by those wavy stink lines rising off him

Yep, Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

• Moderators

I hate people being so fucking negative about wrestling all the time, that's what I reckon. Do a podcast on what people love about wrestling instead, there's always 10 shitty comments on wrestling for one good one. I don't get it. I went off WWE, so I've stopped watching it, and look, no negative nancyness towards it. Celebrate the good and stand apart, as everyone goes on about the bad.

Norman the Lunatic/Bastion Booger/Friar Ferguson/Makhan Singh/whatever the fuck you wanna call him.

I don't care if he "had good matches in Stampede", this man is worse than Duggan. Worse than Gonzalez. Just the absolute drizzling shits.  

Edited by Jizzlobber

:(

I liked Norman until he became a trucker

Same. He was a favourite of 7 year old me back when WCW first appeared on ITV. He also had a really fun match with Brian Pillman on either a Clash or PPV(I can't remember the event) back in 89. A talented wrestler, saddled with some horrible gimmicks I think.

Yeah, but generally only when they are actually getting out of it. You never really see someone fighting it but still getting hit with it. There are still those occasions where they'll do about ten reversals and counters and then on the last one, the bloke just stays perfectly still to take the move.

Well firstly because the millions of dollars he makes in merch and advertising now would be even greater if he was ever able to get the entire audience behind him as the great babyfaces of the past were.

Doesn't/didn't Daniel Bryan have the entire audience behind him (at least during his big run in 2013-14)? He wasn't selling even remotely as many t-shirts or tickets as Cena at any point. Boos + tickets + merch = more than unanimous cheers + fuck all. Cena becoming more palatable to "I hate wrestling shirts that look like wrestling shirts" fans would likely hurt his merchandise sales by diminishing his appeal to the fanbase that does spend money on him. And making his act less kid-friendly would probably hurt the sponsorship and advertising money he makes. Just like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk trying to increase their appeal with kids would lose them cool points with the TV taping crowds. You can't really have the best of both worlds in wrestling anymore.

Another is when wrestlers don't react to the people in the ring or to the circumstances of a match during their entrance. Wrestler in the ring is a monster heel/unbalanced heel, yet you're walking around slapping hands and grinning.

Related to this and the run-in music stuff is when wrestlers don't react to a run-in guy's music for ages. Two heels can be battering a babyface, and then someone else's music hits but for some reason the baddies don't clock it until he gets to the ring, or at least ages after everyone else has clocked it. This happens in promo interruptions, too. Perhaps they don't want to seem too markish by knowing whose music it is.

JBL's constant switching from heel to face on commentary. The main reason he was tolerable during his initial go around on Smackdown was because he sided with the heels the majority of the time. Now he's just some sort of weirdly smiling, schizophrenic cowboy.

JBL was always inconsistent. In 2006, he would pursue his backstage vendettas by attacking heels on commentary. He was particularly negative about The Miz. I think he was praised for that element too because it made him less one-dimensional.

• Moderators
JBL's constant switching from heel to face on commentary. The main reason he was tolerable during his initial go around on Smackdown was because he sided with the heels the majority of the time. Now he's just some sort of weirdly smiling, schizophrenic cowboy.

JBL was always inconsistent. In 2006, he would pursue his backstage vendettas by attacking heels on commentary. He was particularly negative about The Miz. I think he was praised for that element too because it made him less one-dimensional.

When he was the voice of smackdown he used to ride certain wrestlers, your MVPs and the likes of the world, ride them like tractors until they got he approval of his best bully mate Benoit.

• Paid Members

When he was the voice of smackdown he used to ride certain wrestlers, your MVPs and the likes of the world, ride them like tractors until they got he approval of his best bully mate Benoit.

I loved that, in fairness. It might well have been JBL shooting on people he didn't like but it fit the storyline and made their characters (MVP and Miz) feel more legitimate when even the heel Commentator hated them. I never cared about Miz in the slightest until JBL started ranting about him.

Incidentally, wasn't it MVP's feud with Kane that JBL stopped burying him? I remember him talking about MVP earning his respect when Kane set him on fire and that was before the Benoit feud.