Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
Aye, but mid nineties to 2000 you had powerbombs, and stunners, and Rock Bottoms, and Pedigrees, and Goldberg spears, and choke slams, and tombstones and sweet chin music's etc. Test pulled a power slam out his ass most matches for a two count.

Good for Test.

What you're basically saying is that at the time, despite Bulldog having established the running powerslam as a fairly lethal finisher in two previous runs, that you thought it was tame just because they were moves you thought were better at the time? If you just want to dissect what a move does/looks like, the Stunner was shit. When I first saw him do it on telly to Savio Vega, I thought "that's a shit finish, it's a slightly modified version of the jawbreaker people do to escape a sleeper." Rock Bottom? Shit. He doesn't run with it or get the impact Smithers did. Chokeslams the same, and the only time Undertaker pinned anyone with it at the time was if they were so midcard rubbish that they didn't deserve one of his proper finishes. The Pedigree? That's crap when you've got other people at the same time doing head drops and it's the same as any other flat face bump that doesn't get a pin.

Or maybe that's bollocks. Yes, I thought the Stunner looked crap at first. But over the course of a year or so, I accepted it as a finisher because you become conditioned to believe it finishes people. So when you see Davey Boy Smith doing his running powerslam - not fucking Test or anyone else - it's a finisher, because it always beats people. Because you've seen him win a thousand matches with it. Because he got it over, and he didn't need to reinvent himself by taking on a 360 moonbomb just because there were other, flashier moves about.

Aye, but do you not think it's very un-brutal? It's like they just picked it out a hat of regular moves, and because it's a 'finisher' people need to get pinned by it.

It was a fairly unique move when Kurt first did it, and it got over. So I don't see the problem, just because it doesn't look like it would kill someone.

How do you feel about the Attitude Adjustment?

• Paid Members

I once went to a Premier Promotions show where one fall was won with a back drop. And another with a headlock. It worked.

Yeah, a lot is to do with comes before. When Nigel wrestled Cabana in World Of Sport rules at Universal Uproar, we all bought into the top rope dropkick of Cabana as the finish, even though it was a card full of purveyors of brainbusters, Cop Killers, Ki Krushers and other bollocks, because it was by far and away the highest impact move of the match compared to all the matwork that came before, so it worked. And I saw Johnny Saint take a fall on Chris Hero with a hammerlock. A sodding hammerlock. But I believed it.

To be honest, I'd take almost any weak looking slam for a finish if it's protected well and quick to execute over some contrived bullshit like Mark Haskins' Cradle To The Grave. Fuck me.

I always felt the Angle Slam was a thing of beauty and it did get over, but there were times where it got the pin fall and just felt odd, it's a quirk I expected most wouldn't agree with.

I'm the biggest Bulldog mark on the planet, but yeah, as his career went on, I felt it became less credible as a finisher in the context of other moves which looked more devastating, but I agree with what your saying about a finisher getting over I.E. The People's Elbow which logically is the stupidest offence in the world, but by fuck it was over.

• Paid Members

I always felt the Angle Slam was a thing of beauty and it did get over, but there were times where it got the pin fall and just felt odd, it's a quirk I expected most wouldn't agree with.

There came a point where seeing Kurt win after the first Angle Slam looked strange and made his opponent look weak because of a hundred other matches we'd seen where it took a second to win the match, or he had just won with the ankle lock instead.

But that's any finisher, in terms of dilution. It should have needed more than one Attitude Adjustment to beat Rusev, surely.

Edited by air_raid

Also, I love Cena, but his repetitive "Oh we all rowdy up in Nawlins tonight" or "Brooklyn DEFINITELY in the house tonight" every fucking time he faces a heated crowd/response just gets my goat.

I also love Cena but his sucking up to crowds who are giving him hell abuse is awful, and it's doubly annoying when you come on here and read that Cena apparently handled it perfectly. Handling it perfectly would result in a positive reaction for the number 1 babyface in the company, whereas nine times out of ten they continue calling him a cunt to his face. It's emasculating.

I loved that Piper's Pit before WM28 (I think) when Piper - in response to Cena giving it his normal 'I don't care that they boo me' po-faced shtick, asked him 'Why don't you care that they boo you?'. I'd love them to explore that a bit, it's been the elephant in the room for about a decade now.

Edit: here it is actually. Class watch.

<youtube>

Why would he care? Unless he's a mark who's desperate for acceptance by the "smart" crowd, what's in it for him? A huge portion of the audience loves him. They are the reason he makes a shitload of money and is the biggest star in wrestling. He's got nothing to gain from trying to woo the rest. And it wouldn't work anyway.

That's why his response, to not hide from the booing but to let them know he doesn't give a fuck is always spot on.

Well firstly because the millions of dollars he makes in merch and advertising now would be even greater if he was ever able to get the entire audience behind him as the great babyfaces of the past were. But also because he's a driven, ambitious guy who was tasked with being the number one babyface in the company ten years ago and has been booed by the more vocal parts of the audience for practically his entire run. It's far too simplistic to say it's just the 'smart' crowd; it's practically the entire 18-35 male demographic. I love Cena and gladly most of the posters here seem to but I never hear anything but derision for him from males in that age bracket outside of the UKFF, including lapsed/casual/not-even fans at the bar where I watched WrestleMania last week. They're not all smart marks.

I don't believe for a second that it doesn't rankle with him at least a bit. I know Piper was speaking in character in the above clip when he said that Cena was in denial, but that's how he comes across when he gives it the 'THEY CAN CHANT WHAT THEY WANT THAT'S WHAT MAKES THE WWE GREAT' gear. He does his best to seem like he doesn't give a fuck, but it's a fairly transparent act.

If he could click his fingers and have the boos stop tomorrow he'd definitely do it. If only to sell more t-shirts.

Edited by Pinc

Dean Ambrose wrestling wearing jeans and a vest irks me almost as much as his attempt at covering up his receding/high hairline. 

Wrestlers coming out to do a promo and their hair is soaking wet. Off the top of my head, Daniel Bryan is the only one I can think of with long hair who doesn't do it. 

Adverts during Raw when its so obvious they will cut to an advert (a heel might slide out the ring for a few seconds in a cowardly way and then its cut to an advert). I know they need to have adverts and in theory it won't be during the in-ring action (although sometimes it is) but would much prefer before/after matches than predictable adverts.

Then of course as soon as the show returns from an advert the actions resumes in the ring. I blame the Americans having adverts every five minutes.

Edited by Briefcase

Dunno if it's been said already but "Surprise" run ins/returns etc, that the wrestler in question just so happens to manage to have their music and video cued, and in some situations even a name bar on the screen.

Does that wrestler go to the production truck/music area and say "guys, Here's a new piece of music for me, and a video I've had made, play it when I am going to surprise this guy..."

Always bugged me.

In the same vein, when did we start playing music to celebrate someone doing a beatdown? Way back we would have a run in by a heel or something who would kick the stuffing out of someone, then leave to the crowd reaction. Now for some reason we play their music to celebrate what they've just done? When did that become a thing?

Naomi (or cameron?)'s jumping ass to the face... how can anyone agree to sell that!

My main hate is the smackdown fake cheer where you always hear the same womans voice sounding like "rehhhhhhhhhhh".... been there at least 8 years now that sound and it's week after week. Always stands out like big show in a battle royal.

Tag matches before a PPV where they put 2 opponants against eachother with another 2 i.e. cena and bryan vs rusev and sheamus... like why does it have to be before every single PPV they do this tag team of 2 heels vs 2 faces. It gets tired!

Michael Cole constantly reminding us that, yes, Monday Night Raw is in fact LIVE.

I fucking hate that Smackdown crowd noise that sounds like a seagull getting sucked up a hoover. Dreadful. If you have to sweeten the crowd for taped shows at least get some new audio.

I can't stand R-Truth for some reason. He's better as a heel but even then I've never liked him outside of Awesome Truth. But he went and fucked that up too, the prick. Just smoke real weed and pay the fine, dipshit. I think it all stems back to when he first showed up as K-Kwik, I never liked that Road Dogg had a new mate with a shit name. Then he shows up dancing with a goofy grin across his bastard face, as if he finds it funny that I waited up til 4 to watch that piece of shit ending to Hell in a Cell last year. Away and chorg Vince, you fucking toad.

• Paid Members

When it comes back to Raw from the advert and the Raw logo loop plays with the 'tonight is the night' song. Firstly... I fucking hate 80% of WWE music these days, including that.

The main thing i hate about that logo loop is when they have clearly come back from ad's too quickly, so the logo stays on the screen for ages.

Bit of a big one, but set designs for last 10-15 years. The odd has been good, but in general, i get nothing from them at all.