NJPW World

Sphinx

2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

New Japan have confirmed Michael Elgin has left the company after his contract wasn’t renewed

Shame I love Big Mike but I'm sure he land on his feet and will end up on tna, mlw or get a contract will one of the big companies wwe, roh, aew

Elgin will be fine. I can see him sticking around in another capacity for a different promotion in Japan. He's already got name value over there and his work is solid, he'll be able to land on his feet. 

Less than a week now until the MSG show. Thought I'd swing some predictions in here.

Okada to win in the main event. I know I was really confident he'd win at Wrestle Kingdom, but I'm even moreso here. A lot of people seem to have an issue with Switchblade having a short reign, but that won't be a problem in the eyes of the fans. If you believe Omega, Okada was always slated to win the belt on this show, and I've no reason to think that's changed. Having your top guy win your top title at the top arena in America sounds like a fitting way to end this show.

Naito to retain. This one could go either way, but nobody else strikes me at the moment as another challenger for either man, regardless of champion at Dominion, where you can have Ibushi finally win the IC belt and subsequently free up Naito to enter the G1 which he'll win. This will be the match of the entire weekend.

ZSJ purely because I don't see him dropping two defeats to Tanahashi in the space of like, two weeks. Though I suppose Tanahashi could win, because a Tanahashi singles main event for Royal Quest would be great. Can't wait for this.

GoD to win both tag straps, because they were in the match in the first place before everyone else got added, and could feasibly drop the ROH tag belts pretty soon after the show. Plus, I've not got many heels winning, so let's balance it out a bit. LIJ could win, but it would just feel really thrown together. PCO/King aren't winning the IWGP straps. I could see the Briscoes, because they have history in Japan and it would be a gesture from ROH to put the belts on them as a "cheers" for their careers with them, but I hope not. 

Ishimori to retain, because I think Hiromu challenges the winner, meaning you can play off their BOSJ finals match and the fact Ishimori never beat Hiromu to win the belt.

Mystery Challenger to beat Bully Ray. Hopefully it's Suzuki and it goes under 2 minutes. The whole thing has been set up for Bully getting beat, so I don't think he's winning regardless of opponent.

Scurll to win the belt because Taven sucks and Lethal is the most uninspiring guy to lead your roster in the history of ever. I bet the day Marty's contract ends cannot come quickly enough.

Ospreay to win so that Cobb can move up to the ROH Championship picture. Plus, TAICHI has already laid down a challenge for Ospreay which I'm all about.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Mystery Challenger to beat Bully Ray. Hopefully it's Suzuki and it goes under 2 minutes. The whole thing has been set up for Bully getting beat, so I don't think he's winning regardless of opponent.

It's been announced that Juice Robinson is the mystery challenger. Really weird choice as everyone and their mum wants Suzuki.

Also, here's a hilariously bad promo from Bully Ray about Juice answering the challenge, where he drops terms like 'smark' and 'keyboard warrior', censors his own swear words with 'frick' and makes ROH appear incredibly small time by mentioning WrestleMania.

Another weird thing about the card is no singles or tag match for Liger. You'd think they'd give him a decent match in Madison Square Garden during his final year as a wrestler, but nope it's the opening Rambo Rumble for him. No match for Ishii as well is another bummer as you'd think he would've earned a decent spotlight on this card.

Edited by Accident Prone

1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

It's been announced that Juice Robinson is the mystery challenger. Really weird choice as everyone and their mum wants Suzuki.

Also, here's a hilariously bad promo from Bully Ray about Juice answering the challenge, where he drops terms like 'smark' and 'keyboard warrior', censors his own swear words with 'frick' and makes ROH appear incredibly small time by mentioning WrestleMania.

Another weird thing about the card is no singles match for Liger. You'd think they'd give him a decent match in Madison Square Garden during his final year as a wrestler, but nope it's the opening Rambo Rumble for him. No spotlight for Ishii as well is another bummer as you'd think he would've earned a decent spotlight on this card.

Fucking hell, that's shit.

You'd think with the supposed positioning of that match on the card, you'd want Suzuki or someone like that to come out, get a big pop for the entrance, wake the crowd back up and be over with in 2 minutes. Heel gets his arse kicked, fans get to sing Kaze Ni Nare, fans are refreshed and the show moves along. Instead, we're getting 10 minutes of Bully Ray working heat on Juice. Not a slight on Juice, because he's a great worker and seller, but that's got the potential to play out in front of 20,000 fans or whatever who just want the match to end. Not a good look.

• Paid Members

I'm getting tickets to the UK New Japan show tonight, and will probably go for the cheap option with the ÂŁ35 upper bowl tickets. I've had a look at the arena photos and it seems like a decent view. Has anyone sat in the nosebleeds for an event there before?

6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm getting tickets to the UK New Japan show tonight, and will probably go for the cheap option with the ÂŁ35 upper bowl tickets. I've had a look at the arena photos and it seems like a decent view. Has anyone sat in the nosebleeds for an event there before?

https://aviewfrommyseat.co.uk/venue/Copper+Box+Arena/

This shows views from different areas of the arena 

Certainly a show of two halves.

Didn't mind the Honor Rumble result. Liger and Muta wouldn't have gained anything from winning, so it makes sense to try and give someone the rub. Not sure why Kenny King was the one picked for that job though. He's been with ROH forever and I couldn't tell you one thing he's done during his time there. Would have liked to have seen some more alumni from both companies as well, as opposed to padding out the rest of the guys with ROH's completely underwhelming roster (LSG? Will Ferrera)?. All I ask for out of a battle royal is to entertain me, and this match was entertaining, so job done I suppose.

I'll try to condense all the ROH thoughts into one section, but the TLDR is: 90% they attached their name onto sucked. It's 2019, and coming out of their biggest show of the year, they've featured The Beautiful People, Bully Ray, Matt Taven, Kenny King, Enzo Amore and Big Cass. Remember when people managed to get themselves vaguely optimistic when they made all those signings at the start of the year? What an absolutely miserable lineup that is. I can't really get across how badly they managed to drop the ball tonight, and if I'm Harold Meji, I'm straight on the phone to ROH tomorrow morning. It's far exceeded ROH helping NJPW get a footnote in America. It's way past the point of them both gaining mutual benefit from their working arrangement. We're now at the point where ROH are actively dragging down New Japan when they work together. An utter shit-show on their behalf.

Ospreay/Cobb was a perfect opener. Two athletic guys familiar to the audience going out and performing a really fun sprint. I had Ospreay down to win but Cobb going over works just fine, hopefully him as NEVER Champion means we get to see him stick around for the G1. IWGP Jr Tag was really good, but had the potential to be more, if their objective wasn't just "do anything you have to do to wake that crowd up". Dragon Lee winning was really nice, actually. It leads perfectly into Hiromu's return whenever that may be, provides some fresh matches at the top of the Junior card, and presents a different dynamic going into BOSJ. Plus, with Ishimori not being pinned, you've instantly got that match ready to go whenever. GoD winning the tag match did nothing for me but that's to be expected when your tag division is booked like a complete afterthought.

The three title matches were all breaking **** for me. Zack/Tana were put into a weird spot following the Enzo stuff, but they're always going to pull off something good working with one another. Naito vs Ibushi was really excellent, even with Ibushi trying to break his neck a few times, albeit a little sloppy at times from trying to do too much. I might be the high man on Okada/White, but I thought it was fantastic, and easily White's best performance. Okada is the best big-match wrestler in the world, and White was absolutely keeping up with him in this one. Surprised somewhat we didn't get anything to set up anything for Dominion.

Overall a good show. If there's anything to take away from it, it was that ROH = BAD, NJPW = GOOD.

I can only echo AdamTH17 with some of my thoughts...

Ospreay and Cobb worked a nice little big/little man match for the opener and it heated up an already lively crowd. I fear for Ibushi's wellbeing and he needs to reign it in a bit or at least limit the stuff he does. I want another ten years of Ibushi on screen! I really loved the main event and White looked physically really good. He has come along and the match was solid. The finishing stretch was classic Okada main event in a positive way. As for the rumble they could have limited it to 20 or 25 guys, many of the ROH lads being so interchangeable and charisma-less. I popped in my seat for Muta and the moment with Liger was epic. I am not a fan of ROH so have no idea who Kenny King is really. GOD was not and is not anything special for me.

Robinson deserved so much better than this. Bully needs to retire. In 2019 did they need head shots? Maybe I am a whiny little bitch but still. 

As Adam said the ROH stuff dragged down what could have been a top to bottom fantastic show. NJPW is clearly where its at in terms of talent and quality and the shit with Enzo is not needed on a show with so much brilliant stuff. I simply couldn't tell or care who these people were. I'd have cut ROH completely, stuck Goto, Ishii and Liger on the main show in singles or tags (pref singles) and it would have been better. 

It’s just unbelievable that in a night where bret hart was legit attacked, they didn’t pull the cass and enzo angle to be on a tv taping as well. Just ate into everyone’s attention ahead of zsj with the biggest win of his life against tannahashi. Just unforgivable