The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Just so I've got this straight: we're supposed to boo Reigns when he's disrespecting The Undertaker, but feel sorry for him when he's blindsided by Strowman, right?

• Paid Members

It's so weird. Anyone would think that pairing Roman with Undertaker at Wrestlemania would be indicative of them finally embracing the boos and starting his long overdue heel turn, but then they can't seem to help themselves. He always has to be portrayed as a babyface in the end. You can almost imagine all of the writers agreeing, scripting him to be the heel, heading to lunch, only for Vinny Mac to sneak back into the writer's room like a Scooby Doo villain, re-writing it so that Roman still comes across as the hero.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised we see a repeat of last year's Wrestlemania and there's a really obvious, jarring adjustment of the crowd volume when Roman makes his entrance. At least with Cena they eventually started exploiting the booing. Some of my favourite Cena matches were when he was absolutely hated and they didn't try and control the crowd. One Night Stand 2006 and Unforgiven 2006 being prime examples.

• Awards Moderator

I guess they thought it never hurt Cena in the long run, they want Reigns in *exactly* that role, so why change the booking?

I can remember people commenting in 2005 that they would have investors asking why their number one draw is being booed.

• Paid Members

The way Meltzer frames it makes sense. They never bit the bullet and turned Cena because, despite the boos, he was a needle mover in terms of house shows, merchandise, etc. Plus, he'd get almost universally cheered at house shows. None of that is the case with Roman. He does okay, but not to the level where it'd seem counterproductive to turn him.

Disregarding business reasons, simply as a viewer, I think it's a shame we never got to see the John Cena turn. He's so good at passionate promos that I can only imagine how awesome he would've been telling everyone to fuck off.

• Paid Members

Yeah, what we must remember about Reigns is the end goal is for him to be the money man on the show. Daniel Bryan or CM Punk just doing ok numbers is fine, because the company only ever wanted to push them to a certain level (number 2/3, which is still a great spot) and they had Cena there. Now Cena is slowly fazing himself out of the game, now real film and telly know the man's talent, they now need someone to be the difference. Who knows if Reigns gets there, but he's not there yet.

I still think he would have been best off beating Lesnar at their first 'Mania encounter. They tried to turn him into a sympathetic character that lost all his big title matches, but the fans they were trying to turn were never going to buy that. I mean, even The Rock couldn't get him any cheers.

I have the fear his 'Mania match will have 'Taker shaking Reigns' hand at the end and the fans will turn on that. I do think Reigns has improved massively over the past year, but not using this match for a heel run is a massive wasted opportunity. Particularly if they still fancy strapping a rocket to Balor.

Edited by ColinBollocks

The way Meltzer frames it makes sense. They never bit the bullet and turned Cena because, despite the boos, he was a needle mover in terms of house shows, merchandise, etc. Plus, he'd get almost universally cheered at house shows. None of that is the case with Roman. He does okay, but not to the level where it'd seem counterproductive to turn him.

Disregarding business reasons, simply as a viewer, I think it's a shame we never got to see the John Cena turn. He's so good at passionate promos that I can only imagine how awesome he would've been telling everyone to fuck off.

I'm pretty sure Reigns is a massive merch mover last I read and is massively cheered at house shows too.

Reigns/Undertaker will probably end up being a 25 minute classic only for Strowman to get involved in a non finish and then both Reigns/Undertaker shake hands.

Or Undertaker passes his deadman shit over to Roman Reigns and Roman is Undertaker V2.  :laugh:

I'm pretty sure Reigns is a massive merch mover last I read and is massively cheered at house shows too.

On what evidence?

I believe he is a 'mover', but not on a Cena sort of level where he's streets ahead of anyone else.

I'm not 100% on it btw so don't think I'm saying it with any certainty but I'm sure I read before he was outselling Cena at one point for a small period.

I have an absolutely awful memory though.