The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

I wonder if as consumers, there are so many more ways to consume wrestling these days.  When most of us got into it ,WWF as it was seemed like the only or most easily available option.  Nowadays we can satiate our wrestling fix in so many other ways.

This is a good point. I spend much of my time with a Wrestling related podcast on in the background while I'm doing other stuff, but the thought of sitting down to watch an episode of Raw fills me with dread. 

I think I could honestly get by listening to show reviews via podcast and sack off the acutal viewing all together. 

The thing that grates me is WWE has a hook in me, because when they do something (increasingly less) that I like, I LOVE it, it gives me that buzz. Off the top of my head the Goldberg/Lesnar stuff, I fucking loved that little story. They are capable at any turn of producing a little diamond like that and it keeps me going. Similar I guess to Harmonic Generator I'm invested in story and characters and most of all stakes, stakes get my interest, that is why I'm sorry but I couldn't give a flying shite about watching Flip Gordon vs Will Osprey at All In. That might not even be a match but you get the point, I aint watching an exhibition of moves for the sake of it I want some background, a plot to delve in to that stirs my emotions.

Another massive issue for me is the commentary, it's such a vital part and any big moment I recall I know the commentary for, whether it be Monsoon/Jesse or Heenan, then JR in the 90's. It's so bad Today, absolutely god awful, on Raw this week something heelish happened, a beat down of some sort and Cole never said a fucking word, he should be up in arms, raging, it drives me nuts as it's so easy to fix. Don't get me started on the other vanilla bastards Tom Phillips and Vic Joseph, it's all so formulaic and corporate bullshit, it's like they come off a factory assembly line. Not too good looking that they stand out, but certainly not ugly, not too opinionated but can push the charity shite, don't under any circumstances call the moves, just go "OHHHHH" and "AHHHHH".

Sorry, I'm hot and bothered at work and a rant seemed a good idea.

I don't think the amount of options available now means I watch it less as I don't watch the other options either. Outside of WWE I'll have gripes with the style of many matches - contrived, illogical things and/or pacing that leaves you numb to anything that's going on. That happens in some matches in WWE and NXT too for sure, but they mostly iron out the illogical sequences.

As for WWE, I can't fathom anyone watching a full episode at the moment. I skipped through Raw 25 but that was the first for months. I check this thread to see if anything of note's happened and I'll watch some of the PPVs if my friend is going to watch it. I don't have an emotional response to booking decisions or try pick them apart - nothing shows any sign of changing so I'd be doing that constantly.

It just needs good stories, good characters, more freshness in presentation and roster, and less 50/50 booking. The fact I check this thread shows I'm still holding out for the moments of magic they have.

WWE always has my heart. That's what the company has. When you've grown up with something like that then the passion and the dedication is always there, especially when it's good.

It's really tough going though and I watch very little now compared to feeling like I needed to watch every single show for many years.

28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

WWE always has my heart. That's what the company has. When you've grown up with something like that then the passion and the dedication is always there, especially when it's good.

It's really tough going though and I watch very little now compared to feeling like I needed to watch every single show for many years.

It a bit like a band who were the first band you loved. Yeah they release shit album after shit album but deep down you forgive them because they released the soundtrack to you teenage years and hope they still have a great album left in them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I wonder if as consumers, there are so many more ways to consume wrestling these days.  When most of us got into it ,WWF as it was seemed like the only or most easily available option.  Nowadays we can satiate our wrestling fix in so many other ways.

Personally speaking, not even remotely true. Not since WCW and ECW has there been anything even close to something I'd watch instead. Don't really give a shit about BritWres, dipped in and out of TNA but never really loved it, never liked indy wrestling, lucha or Japanese anywhere near enough to follow it.

I still love wrestling. I'll still watch some most days on the WWE Network but despite clinging on for the last couple of years and trying to enjoy the bits and pieces that are OK, I've found I'm unable to do it anymore. I just don't enjoy 90% of the shows.

Edited by tiger_rick

36 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It a bit like a band who were the first band you loved. Yeah they release shit album after shit album but deep down you forgive them because they released the soundtrack to you teenage years and hope they still have a great album left in them.

I think that's a good analogy. The band I still cite as being my favourite, I probably listen to them once every 6 months but when I do it's in a big burst and I listen to all their stuff in one go. I couldn't name a track from their last album. 

With WWE I have the network and I love stuff like the 24 specials and Table For Three but don't watch the current in-ring product all that often, maybe a couple of days after if I can be bothered. I'm still giving them my money and I still say I'm a WWE fan but it's the nostalgia I'm in love with, the memories of being 7 and watching Summerslam '92 or watching Cactus Jack and Triple H kick the shit out of each other at the Rumble. I don't think I could even name a non-rumble match from this years event.

Edited by cobra_gordo

I’m pretty much the same as Rick. I had the network but didn’t even open the app for over a month so I binned it. I do get interested around Rumble time for a bit, but I guess it’s like the big Eastenders Christmas storylines with the Christmas Day show being their Wrestlemania. 

And like Eastenders, you don’t have to have been watching for the whole year to know who the big players are and anyone you don’t know you can easily get a recap on who they are and why they’re fueding. 

I do wonder what the direction of travel in UFC after Saturday is going to mean in terms of Raw, Lesnar etc.  Realistically, if it is going ahead, I suspect they'll need to get the belt off him ASAP to allow him to focus on that, but probably need to do it in a way that doesn't damage him in terms of an eventual return AND from a UFC perspective (he's far more marketable to both if they do it right).

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, FourtyTwo said:

I do wonder what the direction of travel in UFC after Saturday is going to mean in terms of Raw, Lesnar etc.  Realistically, if it is going ahead, I suspect they'll need to get the belt off him ASAP to allow him to focus on that, but probably need to do it in a way that doesn't damage him in terms of an eventual return AND from a UFC perspective (he's far more marketable to both if they do it right).

Do we think UFC give a fuck about WWE's presentation of Brock?  EastEnders giving a shit how their character comes off on the annual panto run comes to mind.

30 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Do we think UFC give a fuck about WWE's presentation of Brock?  EastEnders giving a shit how their character comes off on the annual panto run comes to mind.

UFC as a whole probably don't, but casual fans possibly will - and that will be a large part of the targeted audience.  And Brock himself probably will care as well.

Irrespective of that, they definitely need to move the belt on quickly, if Lesnar is going to be focussed elsewhere for a while - is there anything that could be gained by having him on Raw tonight and have Strowman cash in now?  Otherwise we are probably looking at Summerslam at the earliest I would imagine?

• Paid Members

Brock's a businessman. He does what he's told if you pay him right. Getting hammered by Goldberg, for instance.

• Paid Members

He's on a pay-by-appearance deal isn't he? So presumably the idea is he can do both over the next few years if he so chooses, or return to WWE no worse off he loses. Although I imagine him going on WWE TV as UFC Champion is unlikely to happen!