The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I also liked that Roman accused Lashley of accomplishing nothing since coming back to WWE, despite Lashley winning a shit load of main event tag matches on RAW, a number of which featured Roman himself as his tag partner, before going on to demolish Sami Zayn so badly that in storyline we won't see him until next year. Clearly, none of this matters to the lazy bastards writing though. All they care about is giving Roman these "shooty," lines that he can, "drop," to little to no reaction, like a Poundland Brian Pillman, looking more and more like he wants to kill himself. Seriously, has there ever been anyone who looks as shattered as Roman in that promo? He looks so much like he can't be arsed anymore than I bet even Randy Orton walking to the ring after being told he's losing a title would tell him to cheer up and not make it so obvious.

45 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Not going to read the book but interested in what he refers to here. It's a bit odd given that Bryan only won the title at WM30 and then made one or two defenses against Kane before getting injured making his period as the top guy a few months? Even if you take Bryan's run from the start of that year before the Rumble business couldn't have tanked as it was WM season. Is this in reference to one of his earlier title runs? It would be a stretch to argue that he was on top during this period, certainly nothing compared to the momentum he would have a few years later.

After he won the title at SummerSlam he was in another three PPV main events in a row in world title matches. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

After he won the title at SummerSlam he was in another three PPV main events in a row in world title matches. 

Is that when he kept being made to look a complete loser, constantly being screwed out the title against Randy Orton? Back when they were doing everything in their power to fight the crowd’s reaction to him in preparation for the dream match of Orton vs. Batista? There’s no way business at that time could be attributed to Bryan. In no way was that time period indicative of how he could do on top. It was a borderline career sabotage  between Summerslam and when he turned on Bray Wyatt in the cage.

44 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Is that when he kept being made to look a complete loser, constantly being screwed out the title against Randy Orton? Back when they were doing everything in their power to fight the crowd’s reaction to him in preparation for the dream match of Orton vs. Batista? There’s no way business at that time could be attributed to Bryan. In no way was that time period indicative of how he could do on top. It was a borderline career sabotage  between Summerslam and when he turned on Bray Wyatt in the cage.

It’s when Bryan was on top of Raw, house shows and PPV and all three metrics tanked. Like I said, self fulfilling prophecy. 

3 hours ago, D@mm said:

I think it will end up being Lesnar Vs Strowman Vs Reigns Vs Lashley at Summerslam.

Lesnar suuuuuurely has to put someone over in a one on one? Otherwise whats been the point of this never ending period of domination when they just get Lashley to take the pin?

47 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

It’s when Bryan was on top of Raw, house shows and PPV and all three metrics tanked. Like I said, self fulfilling prophecy. 

I think tanked is going a bit too far. 

Of course, you're right in saying that ratings weren't strong during Bryan's title chase, but as Supremo mentions, it was a genuine time where the company was actively trying to get the fans to stop cheering him so much by deliberately making everything surrounding him look shit. The stupid match at Night of Champions, where he wins clean as a whistle but then is stripped the next night, rendering all fan investment meaningless. The Battleground main event, where the show literally ended with Big Show coming out and knocking both men out. How the fuck can anyone watch that and be tempted to tune into RAW the next night? The Hell in a Cell main, featuring the HBK ending which every single person in the world saw coming. All attempts to derail his momentum and nothing is going to convince me otherwise. There isn't a single roster member who could plunder through that tripe and end up pulling a stronger rating. If I recall correctly, this was the same time where Cena went off for about 3 months, meaning that you're now relying solely on Bryan to carry both television and PPV numbers against the same opponent, whilst having him suffer from abysmal booking in his first proper main event push. Every single week viewers were being told that Bryan has no right to be in the spot he's in. Every single week. How the fuck is anyone going to buy him as being on top if the company narrative is that he's anything but a top star?

You're correct that buyrates dropped during his time on top, but if we compare Night of Champions 2012 and 2013:

Night of Champions 2012 - Cena vs Punk headlining, Sheamus/ADR, Orton/Ziggler, Hell No/Kingston and Truth, Miz/Cody/Rey/Sin Cara.

Night of Champions 2013 - Orton vs Byan headlining, Reigns and Rollins/Prime Time Players, Ambrose/Ziggler, Axel/Punk, Miz/Fandango, ADR/RVD.

2013 is a significantly weaker card, yet only drew 14,000 less. Hardly cause for a catastrophe.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Van Dammer said:

Lesnar suuuuuurely has to put someone over in a one on one? Otherwise whats been the point of this never ending period of domination when they just get Lashley to take the pin?

Honestly, I don't mind them waiting if they get it right (LOL). I just fear this is them doing a really rubbish version of Omega v Okada and Reigns finally beats Lesnar, only for Braun to cash in and win the belt. No one really wins with that scenario, but you can bet Vince likes it because it's a 50/50 scenario - bet Lesnar even F5's Braun to close the show too.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Both cash-in scenarios have been done before on Reigns, and to have him fall for them again just makes him look an even bigger gimp. The safer option would be to just go with the three way of Reigns, Brock and Strowman. Strowman shouldn’t be doing a cash-in on a guy who is already beaten down, he’s a destroyer who can take out a fresh man in a moments notice. Just have him say “I’m cashing in at Summerslam. Whoever the champ is, get ready” and that’s all you need for his build

40 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I think tanked is going a bit too far. 

Of course, you're right in saying that ratings weren't strong during Bryan's title chase, but as Supremo mentions, it was a genuine time where the company was actively trying to get the fans to stop cheering him so much by deliberately making everything surrounding him look shit. The stupid match at Night of Champions, where he wins clean as a whistle but then is stripped the next night, rendering all fan investment meaningless. The Battleground main event, where the show literally ended with Big Show coming out and knocking both men out. How the fuck can anyone watch that and be tempted to tune into RAW the next night? The Hell in a Cell main, featuring the HBK ending which every single person in the world saw coming. All attempts to derail his momentum and nothing is going to convince me otherwise. There isn't a single roster member who could plunder through that tripe and end up pulling a stronger rating. If I recall correctly, this was the same time where Cena went off for about 3 months, meaning that you're now relying solely on Bryan to carry both television and PPV numbers against the same opponent, whilst having him suffer from abysmal booking in his first proper main event push. Every single week viewers were being told that Bryan has no right to be in the spot he's in. Every single week. How the fuck is anyone going to buy him as being on top if the company narrative is that he's anything but a top star?

You're correct that buyrates dropped during his time on top, but if we compare Night of Champions 2012 and 2013:

Night of Champions 2012 - Cena vs Punk headlining, Sheamus/ADR, Orton/Ziggler, Hell No/Kingston and Truth, Miz/Cody/Rey/Sin Cara.

Night of Champions 2013 - Orton vs Byan headlining, Reigns and Rollins/Prime Time Players, Ambrose/Ziggler, Axel/Punk, Miz/Fandango, ADR/RVD.

2013 is a significantly weaker card, yet only drew 14,000 less. Hardly cause for a catastrophe.

I’m not defending any of the horrid booking and I’m not sure why people are trying to defend what happened to Bryan either. All I said was that Vince tried it and in his mind he was right all along. He has the stats to back it up. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

Am I the only one getting a bit bored of Strowman tipping things over? 

I love seeing Braun tip things over. The bigger and more ludicrous the better. Lesnar lives on a ranch doesn't he. I hope to see Braun turn up and tip over a tractor or a combine harvester. 

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I love seeing Braun tip things over. The bigger and more ludicrous the better. Lesnar lives on a ranch doesn't he. I hope to see Braun turn up and tip over a tractor or a combine harvester. 

I'd go even further with this, not quite "Final Deletion" levels of madness, but close. Have Lesnar chopping a tree down on his ranch, shouting "Timbeeeeeeer" is optional, only for Lesnar to be startled by something off camera.

Camera pans to see Strowman holding the tree from falling. Strowman cashes in there and then.

It's shit and I don't like doing fantasy booking, but I really want to see Strowman just go round Lesnar's gaff to cash his contract in.

Edited by neil is brill

• Paid Members

Strowman has jumped the shark. He's gone the way of everyone else, becoming completely one-note and boring. It's typical of the way Vince writes characters. He picks one thing and decides to just do that forever, never allowing anyone or anything to evolve or deviate. The worst victim remains Matt Hardy though. After months of being the boring man with the silly laugh, we got a small glimpse of the fun he could be doing if they gave him and Borash the freedom to do what they wanted. The Ultimate Deletion was brilliant fun, it looked like we were finally going to get some of the daftness that made Broken Matt so great in TNA...then he teamed with Boring Bray and we were right back to rubbish one-note promos and crap matches. No vignettes. No dilapidated boats. Just back to the silly laugh. Such a waste. Especially when they're getting paid so much TV money and have so much time to fill. Just give them a hundred grand and tell them to make a month's worth of vignettes. It'd be awesome.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Felt that way about Strowman for months. They just can't book a cool babyface for love nor money. It's like 1996 all over again.

Not sure you could tape much for 100 rand though. It's nearly as worthless as the Zimbabwean dollar these days.